Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What Type Anchor?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What Type Anchor?

The lake I mainly fish has a very hard. very clean bottom. I currently have a Danforth Anchor that works well in other places, but not where I crappie fish. It is almost impossible to get it to dig it. I know I need some other type and probably something heavy. Boat is an aluminum 14 1/2 footer. Suggestions please.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Glenn;
    Found my "chain" for mine, gonna put it on soon, etc......
    Danny
    "Teach a man to fish = he can feed himself "
    "Teach the world to fish = you won't have any fish left to eat "

Post Thanks / Like

Try a richter anchor

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    The lake I mainly fish has a very hard. very clean bottom. I currently have a Danforth Anchor that works well in other places, but not where I crappie fish. It is almost impossible to get it to dig it. I know I need some other type and probably something heavy. Boat is an aluminum 14 1/2 footer. Suggestions please.
    Got enough line out for the water depth?
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I fish places with same type of bottom. I forget the name of the anchor, but it looks like a mushroom anchor, except it is split in 2 or 3 places to prevent it from rolling. Works well for me.
    GET THE NET HAROLD, GET THE NET!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default anchors

I have seen where they make anchors with rebar spikes comming out to grab, i think the body was cement. We use danforth type anchores because we find about one a year. I have added (2) 4lb blocks of lead to our larger anchor for weight. Attention needs to be payed when dropping and anchor so its dropped in the correct direction and set quickly. Our big anchor is a workout to raise. I dont like chains because of the noise. We usually have 2 anchors in the boat becuase i like a real good fixed anchor sometimes while crappie fishing or if im going after cats and using clicker reels
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. Richter looks good, but expensive. I may play around with some rebar and cement and see what I can come up with. Lake I fish is shallow, averages about 8 feet. Normally let out 25 feet of line. Is this not enough? Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Rango introduced me to a Chene anchor. He uses his with no chain, my works better with, same anchor exactly, different lakes. We have a lot of hard clay bottom here. Ive had to make a couple different passes sometimes. Never had it to not grab tho. I spent 30min one night, alone, at 1:30 in the AM trying to get mine out. Eventually had to let every last bit of rop out but the last 10" I tied it off with, and make circles with the motor. Eventually came out though.