PDA

View Full Version : How Does Your Fishing Partner(s) Affect Your Fishing?

bigfish5
01-18-2009, 09:49 AM
I Was Just Wondering How Many Of You Fish Alone, With The Same Partner Most Of The Time. With A Different Partner Most Of The Time Or With Multiple Partners. How Do You Feel It Affects Your Fishing Or Does It Affect Your Fishing At All?
Myself It Seems That I Do Better Fishing Alone. I Have 3 Different Fishing Partners That I Fish With From Time To Time. But Normally Just 1 On Each Trip. 2 Of The Three It Seems Like I Do Pretty Good With. The Other It Seems Like I Struggle With. I Think It Is Just Slightly Different Fishing Styles. I Enjoy Fishing With All 3 It Just Seems That The Results Are Different With Each. I Was Just Wondering If It Was Just Me Or If It Affected Others Also?
The Few Times That I Have Tried To Fish With 3 People At 1 Time It Seems Like We Just Dont Do As Well.

beagle man
01-18-2009, 09:58 AM
I fish with several people and what you said is close to what I have experienced. except for my regular fishing partner, he works 5 to 7 days a week in a milk plant and when we go seems like I try hard to put him on fish and I end up not doing so well. he tells me to dont worry about him just fish and have a good time, but darn I like to see him catch fish. seem like this happens to a lot of folks.

Countryboy N.C.
01-18-2009, 10:16 AM
I focus more when I am by my self and do better, but I still like going with some one, I get to talk more. I do try hard to put them on fish and focus less on my Self. Accept When I fish with Knappy, Then I Don't share anything!
I fish most of the time by my self or with my 9 year old son. We make a good team.
I put most of my structure In by my self, some times at night. I use my gps to mark them then back up gps by writing the waypoints down when I get home.

thankfull
01-18-2009, 10:17 AM
I fish with 4 different partners and have had the same problems, seems like the more you try the harder it is to catch fish. I have noticed that when we both are just fishing for the love of it we do better, and the more that the partner concentrates on the type and style of fishing that we are doing the more successful we will be.

Backwater Man
01-18-2009, 10:24 AM
My son and I use to fish together, I tight line in the brush tops and he stays hung up a lot and constantly losing tackle or causing me to move the boat a lot. Now I fish along as many others I pass or speak to at the ramps. At times 2-3 guys will be in the same location fishing and we talk from boat to boat---all of us knows the area,s and how to fish them, they are loners also.

foul hook
01-18-2009, 10:26 AM
I have fishing/hunting partners that i have been running with for 30 plus years. When i take them i feel presure to put them on fish. I feel obligated to invite the on ocasion. They are my treasured friends. My regular fishing partner can catch a fish in a septic tank. the only pressure there is staying out of his way and picking up his culls, and being on time for breakfast.

shuorc
01-18-2009, 11:05 AM
Have had three fishing partners and caught fish with all of them, but some guys are more fun to fish with, a long time ago did add a third under pressure, now if there is a third involved i'll do something else. Have 3 grandsons coming up 2 should be fun to fish with.

turkeyfootnc
01-18-2009, 11:06 AM
I have a couple of friends I fish with when everyone's schedule allows. Usually it would be myself and 1 friend since 3 people in my boat with all kinds of tackle and stuff will take up room quick. Anyway, most of the time we do good, sometimes the fish don't want to be caught but it makes a big difference to have someone in the boat who is familiar with getting everything set up from unloading/loading the boat, getting set up to troll, getting the lights set up for the night, etc.

Crappie Chaser
01-18-2009, 11:55 AM
I fished with several people through the years, but the two that I fished with the most is my son and brother in law. Of course nothing beats a day on the water fishing with your own child, and always fun to watching him catch fish. I usually fish with brother in law while fishing and pre-fishing tournaments. He was always a pleasure to fish with. But win or lose, it was always fun fishing together and I always learned something new from him.

Cane Pole
01-18-2009, 12:05 PM
I fish with whoever shows up. Mostly my wife. She good fishing company. She can't hear, but nutin' wrong with here mouth......:p

She tried to give me away to Richard Williams one time. He turned her down..:o

drfishjd
01-18-2009, 12:26 PM
I frequently fish with a second person in the boat. Many are experienced anglers, some of whom I've met on CDC, and some are pretty green that I will call when the fish are really active. I think the best way to get someone hooked on crappie fishing is to get them into some fast action. No matter the level of experience though, I always learn something from the other person in the boat. It really helps having a second person to try different colors, jigheads, techniques, etc. more quickly. The biggest difference between fishing with someone else, and fishing by myself is boat positioning. I vertical jig in cover alot, and, if I'm by myself, I'll normally fish straight off the bow, especially in the wind. If I've got someone else in the boat, I try to position the boat alongside the cover so that anyone I'm with can reach the sweet spot on each piece of cover from where they are sitting/standing. That means fewer fish for me, but more for my partner, and they all end up in the livewell anyway. Makes for more fun for both of us.

Greg Holt
01-18-2009, 12:36 PM
When I go I always ask my Dad he`s 78 little slow but still likes to fish biteing or not. I just remember when he took me all them times. I need to get another partner just have`nt found no one yet.

Joe Tilghman
01-18-2009, 12:52 PM
I used to fish with my son we were a good team fished the same way and for the same fish. It was good to have someone to help launching and getting the boat back on the trailer.

I fished with one guy who fished with night crawlers in the back of the boat when we got back there was black dirt and mud on my carpet my boat isn't a high dollar rig but it's mine. he didn't even try to get some water and wash it down.

I have never seen anyone as thick as this guy He had a boat himself, I backed the boat down and hit the brakes so the boat would slide off the bunks it wasn't coming off and I did this a couple of time when I noticed a couple of guys cracking up the he asked me "what does it mean if the boat don't come off"!!!!!!! I got out of the truck and looked he never undid the winch. He never came with me again:D

TnT
01-18-2009, 12:58 PM
I have the same fishing partner 95% of the time and we fish well together. Most of the time we longline. We both have fish finders and a GPS to look at. We work as a team to keep all 12 rods in the water. If I get busy and/or get off course or trolling at the wrong speed, he is watching to tell me that we are water too shallow or to speed up or slow down. I don't think either of us feel any pressure because it don't matter to either of us who is catching fish, as long as the fish are coming in the boat. We work and fish great together in the boat. I almost hate to go by myself anymore because then "I" have to do ALL the work!!!!

wwwUncle
01-18-2009, 12:59 PM
I mostly shore fish, and am almost always alone, but I have paired up with others I come across. Once in a while I fish from a boat and have a partner (boat's owner). If the other person seems to need some help I will help- doesn't bother me and is fun to see their excitement when they start catching fish.

LBM
01-18-2009, 01:04 PM
My preference is fishing alone out of my boat but do enjoy fishing around and close by other fishers I have got to know on the water.

Something I found when I used to bird hunt with a dog is that I would work and hunt the property in the more traditional and accepted methods while hunting with others. When I hunted by myself I would sometimes work it totally contrary to generally accepted standard and at times have very good success and really enjoyed it when I could pick up a pheasant or two while working it bassackwards. Well with fishing I’ve tended to notice the same thing at times.

When fishing with friends, who are very good fishers, and in their boat I can get really impatient if the bite is slow because if it was me working the boat I would be fishing faster or slower or moving differently around or going somewhere else. If the fishing is slow and we are fishing in separate boats we can split up and see if someone can locate some more active location or pattern we’ll call back and forth letting the other know if we have found a more active location and get back together and work the area.

Truthfully the one thing I like about fishing with the second person is the bs’ing in the truck on the way to the lake. The second person in the truck just makes the drive to the lake seem so short.

Now this works both ways but when fishing together either in one boat or two we both try and help the other catch fish but we each hope we are the one giving the help and not the one needing it. :D

As a general rule I really think the person in front of the boat has a better chance at catching more fish than while in the back. But through out the day it will tend to shift between the front and back as to which one is smoking the other fisher at pulling in fish. Another thing I like about having the second fisher on board especially on windy days when I have to retie and the other can take the front and run the trolling motor and hold us on our spot.

When I used to bass fish with a friend, who really wasn’t a bass fisherman, who would get a real negative attitude in a very short time if the fish weren’t being caught. If the fish were jumping in the boat his attitude was very good but if there was much time or work involved in getting bites he went negative and I just found the negative vibes on the boat made fishing difficult for me.

I have found I can have a very good day on the water with folks when the fishing was terrible but there was always a positive attitude by both on the boat that the next cast was going to be it, making the day, and it’s the same way for crappie fishing.

It will be interesting to see others views on this topic.

SpeckWick
01-18-2009, 01:09 PM
I mostly fish with the same two guys. One is my tournament partner and the other my dad. I also take my three boys out every chance I get, but they are 8 and 6(twins) and I don't really fish at all when I take them, so my fishing style doesn't count there. But my dad and my tourney partner fish totally different. My dad is kinda old school. Likes to tie up or anchor any time he can and sit on a spot till it quits, then move to the next. So with him it's usually two poles each, either both with minnows and floats or sometimes casting the second with a jig. When my tourney partner and I fish, we always use one 10' rod each, either pitching a jig or a slip float/minnow rig to cover. We hardly ever stay in one place more than a few minutes, moving tree to tree/stump to stump. Thing is, the results really don't vary all that much with either of them. My dad knows crappie as well as anybody I've ever met, so we can take his method and load the boat almost any day. And the running and gunning technique my partner and I use is every bit as effective.

crappieken
01-18-2009, 01:12 PM
I fish with four different partners on a regular basis, but only one at a time. I prefer not to fish three in a boat for a variety of reasons. It helps if both you and your parnter enjoy the same style of fishing. I prefer vertical jigging and would not want to fish all day with someone who wants to longline or troll plugs the whole day. The fellow I fish with the most likes to use a slip cork around timber and over brush. Although I vertical jig at the same time, our different methods do not interfere. Sometimes his method produces more fish while at other times mine works best. The most important part is that the two of you get along well together. I would not want to spend any time in a boat with a "jerk" even if he were the number one pro in the country.

macon123
01-18-2009, 01:15 PM
I moved to Tennessee from Michigan. My Michigan fishing buddy and I were a fish catching team. When the fish were hitting, I usually did a little better numbers wise, but when the fish weren't hitting in the regular places, he'd exhibit an exceptionally keen perception as to where they might be.....we'd move and almost without fail we'd tie into the big ones. His powers of intuition and observation were truly uncanny. It was if he could sense the fish movements. He'll hopefully be moving down in a couple years and I can hardly wait.

The other best fishing partner is my brother in law......easy to get along with, fun to be around and a very good fisherman.

Thirdly, in no particular order, is my wife. Fishing with her is a study in patience and perserverance. She concentrates exceptionally well, staying focused, moving the lure very little with pauses......a slight whisper of a twitch, a pause, an even more quiet whisper. She usually outdoes me, I'm learning though.....

talltimber
01-18-2009, 01:23 PM
It doesn't make a difference in my fishing, I don't catch many any way. LOL I like going with others, schedules just don't work out very often. I pick up something new every time I fish with someone else. Good company makes for a good trip, whether we catch anything or not. I like fishing with just my dog too. He doesn't catch many. LOL I'd like to go on a trip or two with some guys on here, to pick their brain some and to watch their techniques. When there has been two of us, then we both jig off the front of the boat when fishing small targets(one stump at a time, small tops,etc.) Fishing brush along the bank, then the front guy skips cover to give the back guy some fresh water. I've only spider-rigged one time with longshot. He's got a nice boat with a big front deck and side by side seats. I figure you're ahead by having two in that situation, especially if there is a lot of brush, pads, or stumps around.

GRIZZ
01-18-2009, 01:27 PM
I fish 90% of the time alone. As much as I love fishing, I also love getting outdoors and experiencing nature to the fullest. It feeds me somehow. I also like the solitude, and I concentrate more when I'm alone. I get more fish generally, and I can concentrate on learning new techniques and baits. I explore places most people wouldn't want to go on foot and sometimes walk miles to get to a spot.

One the other hand, when I do fish with others I thoroughly enjoy it unless they are just there taking advantage of my ability to fill my limit and anyone elses that is with me. I have a friend that is like that. In the fall when I am slammin the monster walleyes and gettin some crappies and trout, he calls and is friendly and always wants to go. He is pretty good company and is always enjoyable to fish with, but the only time he ever does anything with me is fishing. The rest of the year I never hear from him. This has been going on for about 10 years and for the last couple years I have been experimenting with him to see what happens when I release the fish I catch when I'm with him. He looked kinda offended when I didn't offer him the fish and the look on his face as those walleyes slipped back in the water was not one of happiness. He doesn't call as much now and never got the point of why I quit giving him fish.

All the rest of my friends I genuinely enjoy fishing with. My mom used to love to fish crappies with me and we fished several crappie tournys together, we placed in the money in all but one and one year she won the big fish pot. She is almost 79 now and is too wobbly for smaller boats or going to most places I go on foot. Honestly, she loved going out in the boat as much as fishing and had so much joy in the whole process it was always a pleasure having her along, besides the fact that she could catch crappies nearly as good as me. I miss taking her out as much as we used to.

poppop
01-18-2009, 02:00 PM
I normally fish by myself if my wife or grandchildren are not with me. I have had several invites from crappie.com members...and gonna hook up with some of them as soon as I get caught up a little. When I fish with my family...naturally I try to make it the best for them I can. Baiting, getting fish off and all that.

magnum500
01-18-2009, 02:00 PM
My fishing partner and I also both own the boat that we fish in. We have been fishing together for so long that we have no problems. When we get to the ramp we both know what our own job is so we can get the boat off the trailer in about a minute. Getting it back on the trailer and on the way home is also quick.
As for the fishing it is always a competition to see who catches the most and the biggest fish. We get along and never have any problems.
There are those times that it is nice to be alone on the lake to collect your thoghts and be peaceful
Either way it is great to be on the water!

Michael D
01-18-2009, 02:43 PM
I fish alone about 95% of the time. When I do take a fishing partner it is usually my niece's boyfriend; he loves to fish as much as I do and doesn't worry about other things while on the water. We tend to have pretty good luck mainly because we have similar skills. He likes to bass fish the best, so when I crappie fish (which is most of the time) I am usually alone in the boat. I think he really likes to fish alone also because we sometimes meet at the ramp with each one bringing our own boat. He fishes for bass and I fish for crappie. My brother and I used to fish together every weekend and I sometimes miss those times. But he has moved to another state and we rarely get to hit the water together. He did get to come up this past September and I took him to a local lake and put him on some fish. I did not fish much that day, I just made sure he had a carefree day of fishing. That is a rare occurence, so it made for a great day on the water. I fish alone because I can fish the way I want to and don't have to worry if someone else is enjoying theirselves. What broke me from taking others was the fact that most people are ready to leave after a couple of hours if the fish aren't jumping in the boat. I also hate when people have to talk on the cell phone or make phone calls while fishing. It also irratates me when they talk about work or things associated with work. When they mention things that they should be doing other things instead or fishing, i.e. yard work and other chores, then I load up and take them home and head back out by myself. And I try to avoid taking them again. I guess I am just selfish, but when I fish that is the only thing on my mind. I could care less about the "real world". I will worry about work, bills and yard work when I am not fishing and I usually fish every Sat and Sun. I try to stay on the water as long as possible and most people want to fish for a couple of hours and call it a day; that's not my cup of tea. Like I said I may be selfish, but I enjoy fishing alone.

danny
01-18-2009, 03:08 PM
Have Four Fishing Partners Three Buddies And My Wife Sometimes My Youngest Daughter When She Wants To Go.but The My Best Fishing Partner Is My 6 Year Old Dog Always Ready To Go Never Complains Never Has To Go To The Bank For A Bathroom Break Gets Exicited When The Fish Hit The Floor Of The Boat The Only Thing She Needs Is A Pack Of Donuts And Some Clean Bottled Water Put In Here Bowl.me And My Buddies Mostly Fish The Same So Not To Many Problems.no More Than Three In The Boat At One Time.my Best Friend Has His Kid Ever Other Weekend He Would Be My Fifth Regular Fishing Buddy.i Live On The Lake So I Can Fish Anytime So When They Come Down I Like To See Them Catch The Fish Execpt The Big Fish We Put $5.00 On It You Would Not Beleive The Pressure That Puts On A Person But Its All In Fun As Long As Everybody Has A Good Time Thats Alln That Matters.eat What You Catch And Dont Kill Anything You Dont Intend To Eat God Bless.

kody
01-18-2009, 04:54 PM
my fishin partner is one of my good friends
we go campin every weekend and fish the whole time
and we both fish the same way
the only down side is when we troll the banks and are throwin jigs supposebly the front person catches more but i havent seen that
a good thing about the lake we fish is that it has lots of places where we can anchor in a lilly pad field or a group of cypress trees and throw jigs all around us and both catch fish
have taken others before but it aint the same
loadin/unloadin the boat and we takes turn when trollin

bigfish5
01-18-2009, 06:57 PM
Yes I Think The Enjoyment Of Fishing With A Good Buddy Makes The Day Go Faster. Its Enjoyable Whether Or Not You Catch Fish, Just Better When You Are Catching Them.

klight1122
01-18-2009, 09:01 PM
Man fishing is fishing, it does not matter who goes. I want everybody to catch fish, but sometimes the fish didn't get the memo. Fellowship being on the water and being able to witness some of Gods great works is what it is all about. I have three friends that are pretty good fishermen and are willing to share there vast knowledge. Then there is a couple of friends that I get to share my limited knowledge with. When my 20 year old son goes it is still a thrill to see him catch a fish just like it was the first time! So for me I fish the same every time, even if I don't win the five dollars on the big fish!:cool:

mopar4x4
01-18-2009, 09:15 PM
I seem to do better alone but my main fishing partner I do good with aslong as we arent fighting about boat control but thats half the fun. I have a few that are to lazy to get up and one my brother in law that has bad mojo on my boats every time I take him something tears up even on a new boat

fiddlefarter
01-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Far as crappie fishing goes I fish the same way whether I'm alone or if I take someone else. I am there to fish and I don't want no one to back end me and catch more than me in my boat. I want others to catch em though, just one less than me. I try to put myself on fish and they'll be on fish if I am. I don't keep them off of cover with boat control. I want "us" to catch fish. It's all about fun when I put my crappie rods in the boat. But I remain undefeated in my boat!

Crappie Reaper
01-18-2009, 09:39 PM
I fish alone, yeah, with nobody else.
You know when I fish alone, I prefer to be by myself.

Turtlebait
01-19-2009, 12:20 AM
3/4 of the time I fish with a partner and have for several years,at the ramp we know what each has to do.We have no problems what so ever other than trying to out fish each other.

Our way of fishing however does have a affect on my fishing,I'm a crappie guy and he is a 100% bass that is until I find a school of crappie.His number one bait to throw is a buzzbait and dang good at it,I always let him have control of the boat.When I started fishing with him I sorta had a hard time trying to catch crappie at the speed of the boat for buzzbait fishing.I may change jigs sevearl times during the day and usually end up with a good mess of crappie not conting all the bass.We cover alot of water in a days time as to why I change jigs all day,I have 5 casting rods rigged for crappie and two to help catch a bass or two.When I get to go by myself its a whole new ball game,slow,easy and SHhhhheeeeeeeeeeee.

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
01-19-2009, 07:55 AM
I do alot of shore fishing and wading, and most of the time I fish alone. Would have to say that in these situations it is nice to go by myself beacuse I like to try obscure spots sometimes, and to me it doesn't matter if I catch fish, just enjoy being out by the lake listening to the waves lap at the shoreline. On occassion my best friends wife lets him out of the house and we'll hit the lake, but it always ends up with her calling 2 hours later wanting to know if he's comming home soon. Gotta say that that a real drag! Last year my girlfriend started fishing with me and I bought a boat. She is a blast to fish with. Doesn't know a whole lot about fishing (not that I do either), so I stay busy baiting, changing hooks, and fixing tangles(she's getting better at casting), but the excitement when she hooks into a fish is unreal. Whether were catching fish or not, she alwyas enjoys being out on the lake as much as I do. Only downside to fishing with her is that she ALWAYS out fishes me. Oh well, keeps her comming back.

bigfish5
01-19-2009, 01:43 PM
I do alot of shore fishing and wading, and most of the time I fish alone. Would have to say that in these situations it is nice to go by myself beacuse I like to try obscure spots sometimes, and to me it doesn't matter if I catch fish, just enjoy being out by the lake listening to the waves lap at the shoreline. On occassion my best friends wife lets him out of the house and we'll hit the lake, but it always ends up with her calling 2 hours later wanting to know if he's comming home soon. Gotta say that that a real drag! Last year my girlfriend started fishing with me and I bought a boat. She is a blast to fish with. Doesn't know a whole lot about fishing (not that I do either), so I stay busy baiting, changing hooks, and fixing tangles(she's getting better at casting), but the excitement when she hooks into a fish is unreal. Whether were catching fish or not, she alwyas enjoys being out on the lake as much as I do. Only downside to fishing with her is that she ALWAYS out fishes me. Oh well, keeps her comming back.
i wish i could meet a sweet thang that like to go fishing. everyone i meet someone the first thing they want me to do is quit fishing. so needless to say they dont make it very long.

NIMROD
01-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Trolling can be good with 1 or 2 fishing partners. Jiggin can be alright with 1 , bit 2 or more partners can be a crowd. I fish alone most of the time . I even perfer to guide one person at a time or not fish while two do. Too many hooks out in a brushpile means someone is always hung.:rolleyes:

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
01-19-2009, 02:51 PM
i wish i could meet a sweet thang that like to go fishing. everyone i meet someone the first thing they want me to do is quit fishing. so needless to say they dont make it very long.

Gotta say I'm glad she got into it, and puts up with me in the spring. Last spring I was going out 4-5 times a week right after work, and she never made a peep at me. Plan on getting her out this spring when they start spawning and showing her what its like when the action is fast and furious. Just gotta see how she'll handle the cold :rolleyes:

bigfish5
01-19-2009, 08:21 PM
Gotta say I'm glad she got into it, and puts up with me in the spring. Last spring I was going out 4-5 times a week right after work, and she never made a peep at me. Plan on getting her out this spring when they start spawning and showing her what its like when the action is fast and furious. Just gotta see how she'll handle the cold :rolleyes:

you are 1 lucky fellow

20BEERS
01-19-2009, 10:37 PM
Thats right turkey foot, need some help in the boat sometimes. i got city buddies that just wont stick around if they wont bite thats when we all go to pasture ponds, they already know to take their on vehicle there, cause ill be there till the end. (with fish...lol). But on the boat i got a buddy that we do elimination until we find fish. thats like one of the best parts of fishing to me is figuring them out each day!!! My boy is almost three i got alot to tell him. cant wait!

Trout
01-19-2009, 11:52 PM
I mostly fish with one or both of my 6 yr old twin boys which means that I'm not fishing so much as serving as the provider of bait and snacks, untangling lines, taking photos, and landing the fish. When I'm itchin' to fish and can't take in non-stop questions about what fish eat other fish and if snakes can get in the boat and if they eat fish, etc... Then I go alone and enjoy the quiet!

Y-SLABS
01-20-2009, 12:01 AM
I usually fish alone, as I like to longline troll,wife says that not reel fishing, she likes to see bobber! so I take the neighbor every now and then, he happy just to get to go and watch me catch fishes!!!!

robbor
01-20-2009, 12:14 AM
I got through a ton more rods than i ever did when fishing alone. Someone always manages to step on my rod tips and break them:mad:.

CrappieWhisperer
01-20-2009, 12:23 AM
Me and my buddy bought a boat together and have fished together for years and I thoroughly enjoy fishing with him except when he hits me in the back of the head with those dinks he catches. I even brought another friend to set in the middle of the boat to make his aim a little tougher but he still hits me. It's funny how jealous he gets since I catch all the big slabs. I guess I'll just have to keep buying new hats when he slims one up to much. Whats worse me whoppin his butt with big slabs or him hitting me in the head with dinks. Its all good!!!!!!! I wouldn't trade it for nothin.

DRPEPPER
01-20-2009, 08:49 AM
I really don't have a regular partner. My son goes with me more than anyone else. He is easy to fish with. I used to pop him and my nephew on the head with my rod tip when they acted up. They are both near 30 now and know I will still pop them on the head. In the Fall, I usually fish in an area where the fish and fishermen are concentrated. We renew aquaintances every year after not seeing each other for a few months.
If I am not on that lake, I usally am on a bigger lake for the day. I might take my mini grill and grill up hamburgers for a shore lunch. My wife likes those trips.
Usually I am by my self though.
Once a year a freind and I get together with his son and occasionaly my step son on a trout river. We rent a boat and I am the "guide". I normaly don't even put a hook in the water on these days. But, I enjoy it the same.
I am really looking forward to making a partner out of my 3 year old grandson.
DP

crappietime
01-20-2009, 10:23 AM
Well I got one main partner(Thrillseeker) I really enjoy fishing with.I met him at a ramp about 3 years ago but talked on here before then.Now we fish cook talk and shop together.I enjoy the day on the lake with him no matter if we are catching fish or not.1 thing about it is we are out of the house and away from the wives.We get out and look for crappie beds and study the lake we love to fish mark good looking spots for Crappie.Then next fishing buddies I got is my father in law and stepson.We get out and fish together not alot of homework with them they rather fish everytime the boat is out than to do homework.But I like the company in the boat since all can back a trailer or crank a boat and load it.That makes it alot easier on me.But think on days I am alone I may be taking my yellow lab some and see how he acts in the boat and be like FiddleFarter with his chocolate...Just to have someone to keep me company.

barry davis
01-20-2009, 10:40 AM
All of the stories sound so familiar, Ive had those experiences.I dont mind a partner but I always do better when by myself. I could be killin them but bring a buddy and them dang things will shut down every time.I think the pressure of puttin people on fish just gets to me. I really want my partners to catch them too cause they cant get out near as much as me. So then I start fishin too fast or just gettin out of tune with the fish. When someone starts grumbling about the fishing I know then that next time they arent coming.I can fish with just about anyone but the buddy I treasure most in my boat is the crappie!

Fatman
01-20-2009, 12:49 PM
My fishing buddy has left for the Army so back to being on my own. Was always good natured ribbing and he got sore a few times but he lived LOL. If I ever get out in a boat with someone I try and fish a different way than they are to see which approach works better but hey a day out fishing is better than sitting in my cubicle at work!!!!!!!

Fatman

bigfish5
01-20-2009, 03:18 PM
I fish alone, yeah, with nobody else.
You know when I fish alone, I prefer to be by myself.

so do you count yourself as 3? me myself and i? so yo can catch 3 limits?

Ken Jones
01-20-2009, 04:26 PM
I have three fishing partners all of us fish the same way daylight to dark. Were not competing who can catch the most fish. Noun of us give a darn. We like to fish period. We split all expences, food, gas and whatever. I have fished 30yrs. together with to of them. Just took in another guy a few months ago. No problem he likes daylight to dark fishing and never complains. These are the type guys I like to fish with. Every one is on a equal bases. Its great to have friends like these guys. I feel really lucky.

bigfish5
01-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Have had three fishing partners and caught fish with all of them, but some guys are more fun to fish with, a long time ago did add a third under pressure, now if there is a third involved i'll do something else. Have 3 grandsons coming up 2 should be fun to fish with.

yea fishing 3 to the boat does make it a little tougher to keep the boat in position . about the only time i fish 3 to the boat is if my brother and my dad both want to go. other than that i will normally only take 1 fishing partner at a time.

bigfish5
01-20-2009, 08:56 PM
i see that in several posts people say that they fish alone. i guess i am not the only one that like to fish by myself . i really enjoy the peace and quiet when i am alone. sometimes it doesnt even matter if i catch many. just to be out there and relax , no worries makes it a great day.

Yates
01-20-2009, 09:29 PM
In a team type tournament a GOOD partner is sometimes the diff in a win or lost.
partners are like fish ..if you get a good one he's a keeper..

STUMP HUNTER
01-20-2009, 09:36 PM
In a team type tournament a GOOD partner is sometimes the diff in a win or lost.
partners are like fish ..if you get a good one he's a keeper..

Dang--:eek: all of the ones I've had were dinks!!!!!!!!:mad: Not a single keeper.

bigfish5
01-21-2009, 08:58 PM
Dang--:eek: all of the ones I've had were dinks!!!!!!!!:mad: Not a single keeper.

i have been lucky enough to have several keeper fishing partners. but they always seem to drop me. i finally found one that would stick with me. we have been fishing partners for 12 or 13 years now.

Crappie Reaper
01-21-2009, 09:51 PM
I have three daughters, twins @ 9 and a 6 year old. If the timing is right with good weather, and light to no wind, I love taking them out. I don't have time to fish, but sure do love watching them. The worst part of it is if one of them is getting skunked. Talk about major whining. When they go with me in the summer, I don't expect to fish as much as pull over to a bank and swim awhile. Life is always good when they are with me.

toothpick
01-21-2009, 09:55 PM
I had a regular fishing buddy that I fished with for about 28 years. He was a World War II Marine and deaf as a rock. He loved to fish and talk about his war experiences which I enjoyed hearing. He was a good fisherman also. He began as a Bass fisherman, but when we started fishing together regularly, I converted him to Crappie fishing. We both would do a little Bass fishing but mostly Crappie. He is now 87 and his health has gone down so that he won't go anymore. His wife died a couple of years ago, and he gave up. My wife fishes with me now and we both enjoy the same style of fishing. She won't get on the water early though. Kinda cuts out the best fishing of the day. I also have a friend and business associate that I enjoy fishing with. He only knows one way, and that is to run the boat in the middle of a blowdown and sit there. I have to keep moving. We reach some compromise. I am a little afraid to go alone, as I have had a few health issues, and it would be a long way back by myself. I used to enjoy fishing with my dad until he passed away. He also was a WWII Battle of The Bulge vet. He wouldn't talk much about it.

Y-SLABS
01-22-2009, 09:11 PM

My experience as well, but all were helpful, opening ice box for me to put fish in:):):):)

Mrs. Crappie Stalker
01-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Not hard to figure out who my fishing partner is. I've fished without Crappie Stalker a few times over the years and enjoyed myself, but not as much as when I fish with him. We've got a routine at the boat ramp and when he fishes without me, he sometimes forgets little things and I'm sure he doesn't unload and load the boat as effortlessly as I do (hehehe). We can fish together all day long without a running conversation and just enjoy each other's company, the scenery and all the critters, birds and hopefully, the fish. Best thing is that you can share your passion for fishing and you don't have to stress about putting them on the fish or what you can or can't talk about, or even more importantly, can you let a "windy" in front of this person?!? (This is the most important by far)

bigfish5
01-30-2009, 12:16 PM
thanks for all the great replies. i guess i am not the only one that thinks there partner is an important part of their fishing experience.

akmoose40
01-30-2009, 01:26 PM
i fish with my girlfriend 90 percent of the time......she catches 90 percent of the fish as im always untangling her outfit and shes catching fish on mine......

FisherMike
01-30-2009, 01:55 PM
The main person I fish with causes me a lot of frustration.
I love this guy but, the guy shakes like a dog shaking off water. He has to have me tie hooks and bobber stops, he can hardly string his pole and when he gets it all together, he out fishes me!!
Now,,, I'm not going to say a thing about the time lost fishing,,,,,,,, because of his bowels!:D

kycreek
01-30-2009, 06:11 PM
I fish by myself most of the time but I do have a couple of buddies I enjoy going with. I normally do better by myself but it is fun to see the other guys do well also.

CrappiePappy
01-31-2009, 03:45 AM
Currently I am without a boat. My main fishing partner has the boat. We aren't so much competitve towards each other, as we are towards the fish :D
I'm usually the "guide" ... driving the boat, picking the spots, running the trolling motor, etc while Partner fishes :p
We both prefer to cast, & shoot docks, but will troll or use minnows if the occasion calls for it.
If he doesn't go, I usually don't go. I can borrow the boat, anytime I want ... but, that requires making plans in advance, so he can have the boat ready & vehicles out of the way (boat is in garage). I'm subject to getting the urge in the wee hours of the morning, and on weekdays ... when he has to work. So, I just don't go.
My other fishing buddy is also boatless. So our fishing trips are few and far between, and depend on my borrowing my other buddy's boat. I'm pretty much the same with him, as with the other ... I lead, he follows suit. :p

In reality, I think I affect THEIR fishing more than they affect mine ;) Without my influence, their fishing time would be far more restricted than it already is ... if they went at all.

... cp :cool:

shipahoy41
01-31-2009, 07:46 AM
I don't have a boat anymore. I had to sell it due to this nasty economy. I am so limited to bank fishing now. One day perhaps I can get a 14' Jon Boat or something. I have two people I regularly fish with. No...they don't have boats either. When they can't go ...then I can't go. My wife tells me I am too old to be out there by myself. Sometimes there are snakes out there. Two legged and crawling. I usually fish with a friend and "Six brothers" all of them are .38 :D:D:D:D