Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on trolling motors

Post Thanks / Like

Default Opinions on trolling motors

Considering the purchase of a new trolling motor. I would like some input on the powerdrives versus the maxxum. I have a 5 year old powerdrive 52" shaft now and it has been hard for me to get used to. I am looking at the new maxxum pro with lift assist
    jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 55AP on my 16.76' Grumman and I love it . You can launch your boat and point it to you favorite spot. It will keep you on course and that is when I get all of my gear ready to fish, coffee, fill livewell, etc. It pushes my boat, which is loaded up pretty good, nearly 3mph. No complaints and I have had it for about 3 yrs.

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, there is no other choice but an AutoPilot. I really don't know what I would do without mine. I absolutely love it!!!
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lv2fish
    Considering the purchase of a new trolling motor. I would like some input on the powerdrives versus the maxxum. I have a 5 year old powerdrive 52" shaft now and it has been hard for me to get used to. I am looking at the new maxxum pro with lift assist
    --------------------------------------------------I believe it depends on how you fish. If you need to leave the front of the boat and maintain a course, auto pilot is the trick. If you want to operate the trolling motor from anywhere in the boat auto pilot is the trick.--------------------If however you want a foot control motor with instant response, I think the powerdrive is severly lacking in response time. I have never used a maxxum and if I wanted a foot control motor I wouldn't but another that steers electrically until I tried one out for myself. I troll so I like my powerdrive autopilot but when I change to bass fishing or one pole jig fishing, I cuss it all day. Too many years with a cable foot control I guess.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lv2fish
    If you are talking about the unit that automatically deploys and stows the motor you may want to reconsider. According to a friend of mine that repairs trolling motors, they have a lot of problems with it working properly. Auto Pilot? Like GaBoy said. Is the only way to go! As for the Power Drive, I will never go back to the other types. Its much easier on my leg as I don't have to keep my foot on the pedal all the time. Some people say they respond to slowly. I don't understand that. Why do you need something that responds faster? Its not like you are traveling 50MPH. I fish a lot of shallow water and hit a lot of stumps that can't be seen. Its never been a problem. Even the new props MinnKota uses can really take a beating. My only complaint with those motors is the type of mount they use. I wish they would use the rope type for lowering and retrieving. Anyway, thats my 2 cents worth.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Some people say they respond to slowly. I don't understand that. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In my view the quick response helps in deep water. I fish a lot in deep mountain resovoirs. When spider rigging it is much easier to stay right on the break line with a trolling motor that responds instantly. I can get 4 rods hung when the depth changes from 25 to 15 ft. before my minn kota can move the front of the boat. With 14 ft. rods out the front my depth finder is reading where the baits have already been. If you have ever been spider rigging 20 ft deep in 40 feet of water and a point you didn't read comes from 40 ft. to 15 ft. before the minn kota can turn all the way into reverse and you have eight rods hung instead of two,you will appreciate a rapid response. Cable foot control reacts quicker = less hangs and cuss words. Harder on knees and ankles however. Last year I went from a cable control to a power drive w/ auto pilot and will not switch back because my knees won't stand the foot control all day. If I were younger and all I did was spider rig , it would be foot control cable.
    The new lift assist is not the same as the auto stow and deploy. That was discontinued. I haven't seen a review of anyone using the lift assist. Probably a bass fishing board would have more input as they use more foot control motors.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whizkids
    Some people say they respond to slowly. I don't understand that. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In my view the quick response helps in deep water. I fish a lot in deep mountain resovoirs. When spider rigging it is much easier to stay right on the break line with a trolling motor that responds instantly. I can get 4 rods hung when the depth changes from 25 to 15 ft. before my minn kota can move the front of the boat. With 14 ft. rods out the front my depth finder is reading where the baits have already been. If you have ever been spider rigging 20 ft deep in 40 feet of water and a point you didn't read comes from 40 ft. to 15 ft. before the minn kota can turn all the way into reverse and you have eight rods hung instead of two,you will appreciate a rapid response. Cable foot control reacts quicker = less hangs and cuss words. Harder on knees and ankles however. Last year I went from a cable control to a power drive w/ auto pilot and will not switch back because my knees won't stand the foot control all day. If I were younger and all I did was spider rig , it would be foot control cable.
    The new lift assist is not the same as the auto stow and deploy. That was discontinued. I haven't seen a review of anyone using the lift assist. Probably a bass fishing board would have more input as they use more foot control motors.
    Thanks for the update Wayne. I can see why they discontinued the auto stow and deploy. I haven't seen the new one being talked about. I've also never fished in 40 ft of water like you mentioned but that makes sense. For the past few days my right leg has been hurting like hell. Doc says its muscle spasms and the valium and vicodin isn't helping much. I started to pick up one of those co-pilots last week, I wish I had now but I will have one soon.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

If you can use a lean/butt seat, by all means do so. I just upgraded mine to a thicker seat(Wise) and added a hydrolic Sprinfield pedestal, which cushions bumpy rides and adusts with a single lever. Anyways, it takes away alot of the fatique when using a foot control. Plus you won't loose your balance .

Post Thanks / Like

I have an 80 lbs. thrust Minn kota Maxxum Pro with lift assist,I love it. The cylinder helps to get motor up from the stow position and then softens its entry into the operating position.itwill not slam down onto bow. then everything works in reverse for stowing, easy lift up and stores gently.
    Paul -- Team Crappie Stalker

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Stalker
    I have an 80 lbs. thrust Minn kota Maxxum Pro with lift assist,I love it. The cylinder helps to get motor up from the stow position and then softens its entry into the operating position.itwill not slam down onto bow. then everything works in reverse for stowing, easy lift up and stores gently.
    I just looked those up on Minnkota's web site and they really sound good. Now if they would take their PD/AP/US units and put them on that mount, they would really have something to crow about.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast