Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Best wintertime bait???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best wintertime bait???

Just seeing what you guys thought as your go-to bait or the best bait to use in winter when water temps are low.

"The greatest use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it".

William James

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to pay close attention to this one, cause the first time ice gets off this water around here, I'm going to be throwing something in it.

From what I have read in articles and stuff, I guess jig and pig is a pretty good go-to.

Parker

Post Thanks / Like

Silver Buddies, or equivalents. Find the baitfish, and fish outside them, jigging the SB straight up and letting it flutter down. Otherwise, I've had luck on deep diving suspending cranks, like Yo-Zuri Hardcore SH-60. Get it down to depth, and work is very slowly, allowing it to sit for long periods.
    Regards,
    Rowland

Post Thanks / Like

Default Believe it or not

I've had luck at the local lake longline trolling 1/16 oz curly tail jigs with crappie nibles on the hook. I'm in a canoe and I paddle just fast enough to keep the jigs off the bottom and I catch crappie and bass about 50/50. Last week I got two bass over 16" and several over 14". And both black and white crappie around 12". When its windy, I paddle up wind and then drift back down wind.

Caught em on black head/body curly tails with hot pink nibbles on cloudy days and white head, bright yellow body with hot pink nibbles on sunny days.

Next time I get the chance, I'm gonna troll some bigger crank baits and see what happens... But I think the bass are liking the small, slow,presentation.
    What?

Post Thanks / Like

depends a lot on what the fish are doing and what type of lake it is....for me if its Tablerock in the winter a spoon and dropshot are really hard to beat if the fish are suspended out deep...if they are on main lake points deep im gonna mainly use a big heavy football jig like a Jewel 5/8 or 3/4 oz...if the water temp is in the 50s im gonna be throwin a suspending jerkbait..like a Lucky Craft Pointer 100 or 78, Rogue or Spro McStick