no matter how good we do, the glass is only half full. Always has to
    make some comment about how somebody somewhere else who is
    fishing differently from how we are is probably catching more, and
    a few days later tells me "ole Roy said he caught 45 the other day when
    we were fishing." We caught 21. I grit my teeth and say to myself
    "good for ole Roy!" Most people I know are impressed with the size and
    quantity of what I catch, some even act half awe-struck. I tell my
    wife who enjoys teasing me about telling fish tales that I don't have
    to stretch the truth, my true stories are hard enough to believe.
    But Dad always ends up someway making me feel like a stupid kid
    who couldn't catch his a** with both hands... I don't care who is
    catching 100 a day on what or where - I average bringing home around
    9 fish a trip over a years time, which is all I want to clean or can eat,
    and I enjoy the way I fish. My oldest daughter is fishing with me a lot
    now, and I try to not let this happen between me and her. Last weekend
    we trolled for about 3 hours and put 11 nice 10.5-13" fish on ice and
    threw back one dink... Then went to a sand bar and let her play as long
    as she wanted. Why am I even telling this story? I don't think there is
    much hope for me and Dad fishing together, but maybe it will help somebody
    some way, and I feel better for having said it. Thanks for the ear, Jeff
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

I probably should be quite but here goes. I have three son's one was born in 1966 so he is about your age. It is a rareity when any of them fish with me. In fact they rarely fish. My advice is to not take your fathers comments as a criticism of your fishing but rather a general comment as conversation. Take every opportunity to fish with him and accept him as he is, just as you woud like him to accept you. I was 27 when my father went his final fishing hole. I can't remember him ever congratulating me on any catch. I still miss him everyday and wish I could fish with him tomorrow.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whizkids
    I probably should be quite but here goes. I have three son's one was born in 1966 so he is about your age. It is a rareity when any of them fish with me. In fact they rarely fish. My advice is to not take your fathers comments as a criticism of your fishing but rather a general comment as conversation. Take every opportunity to fish with him and accept him as he is, just as you woud like him to accept you. I was 27 when my father went his final fishing hole. I can't remember him ever congratulating me on any catch. I still miss him everyday and wish I could fish with him tomorrow.
    Yes Sir! Some of my fondest memories of dad is when we were fishing or hunting.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

My sentements exactly Whiz,;;; Plus there Jeff Your daughter is the one to be cocerned with as she thinks your the hero in her life. So do the things with her that in years down the line like you were talking about your dad being a good mech. and good with horses. She'll be saying the goods things you and her did as she was growing up. Those memories will last a lifetime good luck with pop

Post Thanks / Like

I think we all have had our moments with Dear Ole Dad no matter how close you are - my Dad and I had our differences - but he was great and he too started me fishing - I can still hear his tales that the and his buddies would share with a 16oz Bud - I lost him 10 years ago in July - I wish he was still here to argue with - I know he loved me because we always argued about something he was worried about in my best interest
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I loved fishing with my Dad, hated getting up so early though. LOL! He's been gone 26 years now, maybe someday we will fish togather again.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Too little too late!

My mom and dad split when I was 12. Seen Dad about once every 2-4 years after that (usually when he wanted something). I got married in 1991 and he wasn't there. He moved back to our hometown in bad health about 3-4 years after I got married. Fished with him some while growing up, but I didn't like it cause he always tried to make me seem stupid. He fished once with me after he moved home and we had a wonderful time. I'm 45 and I have a 11yr old daughter and a 9yr old boy. The girl loves fishing and the boy doesn't, but that's OK, cause I don't want him to feel left out. So I take them fishing, picniking on sandbars, and throw them in and let them swim when they get hot. They loved my dad and he treated them better than he ever did me, FOR WHICH I AM ETERNALLY GRATEFUL!!!!!!
    He passed away June 9 2004. He would have been 70yrs old on June 10 2004.
    Last edited by Mo'nBack; 06-17-2005 at 08:33 PM.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

My dad taught me how to hunt, fish, work, play, and generally enjoy living life to it's fullest extent. He was fair in every aspect of life, and in a family of four children in a foreign land he had to stay on us to make sure we didn't get into trouble regarding the people that were indiginous to the country. I wish that every kid in the land had a father like mine, but in all honesty I know that's not possible, but I still want it to be true. The only times that I ever saw him truly sad and depressed was after he had to give my brother and I a well deserved strappin', and I'm grateful for that too. He spent his last years doing volunteer work for the Shriner's hispanic children, since none of them could speak English, nor their parents, he translated to the kids and their parents what they had to do to help the children. They were so grateful that we still have the gifts sent to him from all the parents of the different countries, not to mention the first President Bush's "1000 Points of Light" program to recognize those that volunteer their time. Strange as it may seem, I realize now that I needed to say this for a long time. He died of prostate cancer 10 years past. I had returned from Arkansas when I heard he had taken a turn for the worse, and was with him when he passed. His last wish was that I took care of my mother when she got old, and was also his last words.......that's the kind of man he was. God rest his soul.......

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

I last fished with my dad in spring 1979. I still ask him to go now. He never will, I know, but I keep asking. He has always been to busy chasing money. That is what makes him happy so I respect that for him. I think it is sad. Any thing he spends time doing has to produce money or he has no time for it. We hardly speak or see each other, which is sad for us both. I wish he would fish with me, always have, but I know he will never go again. He thinks I waste money and time I could be making money on the river fishing.
    All you guys that have a chance to fish with your dad, please do for those of us that can't fish with our dad.

Tight Lines To Ya!
    Smitty

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

well, on a very sad note, last week I went to the funeral home to pick up the remains of my 3 premature triplet baby boys that passed last January. I would love to have been able to take them fishing. Going to be a hard fathers day here in North Alabama.

My father, on the other hand, took me fishing from a very young age. Also, my grandfather would take me fishing anytime I called. I am very greatful to them for showing me the outdoors. He doesn't go very much anymore after I graduated HS and moved off (a long time ago). Now, I get to take him fishing and hunting when he comes up from Florida to visit. While fishing with dad was very important to me when I was young, I take even more pride in taking him now. I will plan every minute of his visit with fishing, golfing, or hunting, whatever the season permits. My relationship with him has actaully grown very strong the past 8 years. For some reason, he and I are very close now. I just wish we lived closer together.

Happy Fathers Day Dad!!
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast