Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caught a few today

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Caught a few today

was actually a pleasant day today up until about 11 when it got pretty hot. Caught 51 keepers. Which is a good thing because my freezer was running low after the recent fish fry's at the church and school. Here is a picture of some of the fillets from this afternoon.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

here was our 7 biggest. Maybee go 7 pounds. ALl the fish were between 10-11 inches, with a few smaller ones. Found eggs in every female we caught. Some were small, very healthy eggs as if they started to produce eggs again. Some were gray being obsorbed. I have heard that crappie can spawn again in the fall. With this screwed up spring, this would be a weird enough year for something like that.

Post Thanks / Like

very nice. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Caught A Few

David that is a nice bowl of fillets. The big'uns look good too. You keep the big'uns and send me the bowl of fillets. lol
    Today is a great day

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb David .......

I doubt the year is long enough to have a double spawn .... at least for Crappie, anyway. I believe what most people are seeing and interpreting as a (potential) Fall Spawn, is actually the beginning process of egg production for next Spring's spawn. The fish's metabolism is high during the warm water period ... and they expend almost as much energy as they take in. I've heard that Crappie actually grow more during the cool water periods, than the warm water periods ... simply because they expend less energy, and eat more.
    The only "panfish" I know of, that spawns more than once a year ... is the "other sunfish" group (Bluegills & such). I have heard that double spawns have taken place in Fla, before ... but, even Fla gets cold spells - which would hold off, if not totally negate any second spawn, in most years. Water temps just don't occur in the right range, twice in a years time, for a long enough period to sustain a double spawning season.
    Very small & mushy egg sacs are the "leftovers" of the recent spawning. Small & firm egg sacs are next years crop, in the early stage of development. It's one more reason why Crappie feed up during the Fall's cooling water season ... they need the extra fat to sustain them, & develop the eggs. They start feeding up again, in the early part of the year ... just to finish developing the eggs, and to sustain them thru the rigors of spawning.
    This is all just IMHO ....... I'm no expert or biologist. .......... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Really looking good David. I fish Shoals Creek a lot and bring in a few crappie each time, but haven't caught that many since early spring.

Post Thanks / Like

Default picture of the eggs

here is a picture of one of the fish. Notice the egg sacs are small, but bright orange/red. ALmost just like the eggs you find in December and January. It was almost like they started to reproduce them about 2 months ago. Oh well, I assume they wil all just absord anyway. About 40 of the 51 were females.

Well, after looking again at this picture, it doesn't really show the small eggs form other fish. I had at one time about 10 very small eggs sacs in tact laying on the cleaning table. All of them were the size of your thumbnail.

Post Thanks / Like

Your filleting skill is outstanding. Mind to share ?

Post Thanks / Like

electric fillet knife. a wonderful invention

Post Thanks / Like

Finally someone cuts to the chase and shows the finished product. You are right, the electric filet knife is the greatest invention since the light bulb. Nice mess of fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast