Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grand Slam! Caught All 3 Kinds of Crappie in One Day

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grand Slam! Caught All 3 Kinds of Crappie in One Day

Last week I was fishing from shore at my local hotspot and caught seven crappie. Got them home to fillet them and noticed the three largest were three different kinds. I had a 13" White Crappie, a 13" Black Crappie, and a 13" Black-Stripe Nosed Crappie. Made my day. So far I don't think MO recognizes the Black-Stripe Nose as a separate species. They must consider it a hybrid or something. They are very distinctive although I think they look most like a black crappie. Except for that big stripe, which is unusual and will catch your eye. I had a grand slam of all three varieties of crappie about that same size four years ago on the same lake, although that time it was mid-spring. The biggest Black-Stripe Nose I have heard of was a 2-lb one that came out of the Cumberland River at Clarksville, TN. I'd be curious to hear what others may know about that seldom-heard-of kind of crappie.
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
    Thoreau

TeamAdcraft is offline Trophy King II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

We call it "Triple Crown".. You see allot of them in the Arkansas area as well. Not recognized as a seperate crappie species but more less a Hybrid.
    2X In-Fisherman Magazine Regional Crappie Anglers of the Year
    Official Provider of the Crappie.com State Decals

GO RAZORBACKS!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard them called "triploid" crappie and also heard them called "government crappie".

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't realize we had them in Mo.,but have seen other state boards mention them.
    I've tried to do the same with catfish-4 most common-channel-flat-blue-bull.
    Gotten 3 but not 4 yet in the same day.
    No reward,just personal satisfaction when ya do something like that.

Post Thanks / Like

1morecast,
    congratulations on your accomplishment!
    The Black Nose Crappie you speak of is actually a Hybrid of a White and a Black.
    A study of these was done By Mississippi State University, as was reported in Crappie World magazine a few years ago.
    I didn't see the results of the study.
    The Black Nose's seem to me to fight much, much harder than either the White or the Black.
    1perchjerker

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1perchjerker View Post
    1morecast,
    congratulations on your accomplishment!
    The Black Nose Crappie you speak of is actually a Hybrid of a White and a Black.
    A study of these was done By Mississippi State University, as was reported in Crappie World magazine a few years ago.
    I didn't see the results of the study.
    The Black Nose's seem to me to fight much, much harder than either the White or the Black.
    1perchjerker

SORRY BUT YOU BETTER CHECK YOUR INFO. ! A Blacknose Crappie is just a Black Crappie with a marker, like some people have different color hair. There is only two species of Crappie, but hybrids do occurr.:D

http://research.myfwc.com/support/view_faqs.asp?id=26
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Nimrod is correct ...

A Blacknose Crappie is just a Black Crappie with a recessive marker gene, that creates the black stripe. The stripe runs from the bottom lip, up between the eyes to the front of the dorsal fin. They were first found on the White River in Arkansas, and used to do stocking studies .. because they could easily be identified from the native fish. Lots of Southeasten states are stocking them in their waters, and I'm sure they're stocked or occurring naturally in others.

The "triploid" with a black nose, is the Magnolia Crappie ... and it is a sterile hybrid.

And I beg to differ with the Fla. FWRI ... Blacknose DO put up a better fight than a Black or White Crappie of equal size. And I've only had two Crappie that "jumped" (like a Bass) when caught ... both were Blacknose. One even jumped clear over the front of my partners Tracker :p
    I don't know that they grow any bigger, or any faster, than a Black Crappie ... and all indications are that they don't. But they definitely pull harder !! And if they spawn with regular Black Crappie, the resulting brood do not have the stripe (marker gene is recessive).

In KY ... a Crappie is just a Crappie, no seperate species considered. Doesn't matter if it's a White Crappie, Black Crappie, Blacknose Black Crappie, or a Hybrid Crappie (black/white cross - naturally occurring). Good thing, too, as our current State Record is a Hybrid :D
    KY: Kentucky Dept Fish and Wildlife - Kentucky State Record Crappie Proves to be a Hybrid

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I got the info from Crappie World magazine.
    Sorry if it did not fit with Florida's.
    1perchjerker

Post Thanks / Like

The picture of the Kentucky state record is one beautiful fish. I have caught 3 lb crappie here in Arizona and they sometimes look deformed (super fat and short) but that Kentucky record is beautiful and symmetrical.
    TeamCSJE

Post Thanks / Like

that would be called a "hat trick"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast