Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sta-Bil

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sta-Bil

Any of you use a gas stabilizer? I've heard that the gas needs a product like Sta-bil to keep gum out of your injectors or carbs. I've never used a gas stabilizer in any of the motors that I've owned but am hearing stories of excessive buildup in marine motors. Any of y'all use stabilizers and what are your thoughts on using it? I'd like to do whatever I need to do to prolong the life of my outboard. Thanks

Bluegill
    Last edited by Bluegill Bill; 01-15-2009 at 11:00 AM. Reason: correct a word

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using a stabilizer with my Yamaha 90 for several years now. I would like to think it is better with than without it.
    Birddog,

I pray that I may live to fish until my dying day. And when it comes to my last cast I then most humbly pray. When in the Lord's great landing net and peacefully asleep. That in His mercy I be judged, BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Post Thanks / Like

use it and have never had a problem with gas at all.know 15-20 fisherman around here that use it year around and no problems, better than gum up gas systems

Post Thanks / Like

If you are burning ethanol gasoline which is just about everywhere you need a stabilizer designed for ethanol especially if your boat sits any period of time. Ethanol gasoline will not tolerate any water or moisture. Your engine could have rusting in the cylinders without the stabilizer. Stabillizer is highly recommended.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah what Earl said...I use it for rinsing out my oil mix container and my engine seems to like it too:D

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest that you use Sea Foam in your gas. It will clean the gum out of the carb AND stabilize the gas. It costs around $6-7:00/can and can be purchased at WalMart or any auto supply store. I use it in all my outboards and my pickup and have for years. I also use it in chainsaws and weedeaters.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the Sea Foam formulated for ethanol fuel??

Post Thanks / Like

My dad does, but mine doesnt sit out the water long enough to use it. I do run some sea foam in mine every now and then. It acts as a carb/injector cleaner and as a stabilizer.
    Its Foolish and wrong to morn the men who died, instead we should thank God that such men lived.
    General George S. Patton Jr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EARL KITCHENS View Post
    If you are burning ethanol gasoline which is just about everywhere you need a stabilizer designed for ethanol especially if your boat sits any period of time. Ethanol gasoline will not tolerate any water or moisture. Your engine could have rusting in the cylinders without the stabilizer. Stabillizer is highly recommended.
    I agree 100% I have a friend who works on boat motors and he said they are dropping like flies. I also have a motorcycle racing buddy who said that kawasaki sent out a memeo stating under no circumstance use any ethanol or blend of in 2 stroke motors. Ethanol is alcohol based so it actually draws the moisture out of the air. water and gas dont mix and will cause ring lube wash out.I Always use stabil ethanol treatment. Its good cheap insurance.:D
    Good,Fast,Cheap>Pick one!

Post Thanks / Like

I also have a friend that works on boats and motors and he uses sta-bilt. I add it fairly regular to my gas for my boat and to other things like mowers, weed eaters, ect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast