Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on swivels w/snaps

Post Thanks / Like

Default Opinions on swivels w/snaps

I am learning to use artificial baits, but am not real hip on the idea of having to cut line and tie knots every time I want to try a new one. Any opinions or tips on using swivels with snaps on them would be appreciated.
    Karla:D

Post Thanks / Like

I personally don't use them, but that is just my opinion. I think they take away from the presentation.

Tying and Re-tying is a pain, but in my opinion it gives the best presentation to finicky fish.
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=New2crappie]I am learning to use artificial baits, but am not real hip on the idea of having to cut line and tie knots every time I want to try a new one. Any opinions or tips on using swivels with snaps on them would be appreciated.[/QUOTE

Hello;;; New2crappie
    long time no hear from. I'm with GABoy, I don't use them, for pretty much the same reason. Not only that but I have had fish straighten that little snap hook.
    To me eventhough it take's longer to change out, to me it's better.
    Got any pics of those slabs yet?!

Post Thanks / Like

Snap swivels work pretty good on trolled lures but cause problems on casting lures and should be avoided I think. An alternative you can use for either method is to tie a fairly large loop knot in the end of your line and slip the loop thru the snap ring or eye of the lure. Then pass the body of the lure thru the loop. The wide loop allows there to be alot of action on the lure and makes changing lures easy.
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

No crappie yet, but I havn't given up! I can catch bluegill, no problem, but the crappie are proving to be cagey little devils. I and determined to catch one on purpose if it kills me! Until then I'll just have to look at everyone else's and dream
    Karla:D

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fas-Snap

Quote Originally Posted by New2crappie
    I am learning to use artificial baits, but am not real hip on the idea of having to cut line and tie knots every time I want to try a new one. Any opinions or tips on using swivels with snaps on them would be appreciated.
    I started using the "No-Knot Fas-Snap" found the Bass Pro Cat. about 8yrs ago. They come in 4 sizes from sm-xlg. I tried the med., but the eye was too small for my eye to put a line in! I use the large, which isn't over 1/8" long. The cat. # is 21-466-614 @ $6.00 per 30pk if you want to look them up. I used to tie my jigs and preset them before each strike and or limb. Then I tied loop knots, but noticed my line getting worn quickly or breaking and retying often. I haven't broken one in the whole time I used them. They are good for changing jigs and colors in less than 2seconds! Hope this helps!
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down I've tried them .....

snap swivels, that is ... the bronze/gold colored ones -- threw or gave them all away, best I can remember. I use the Sampo ball bearing ones for "in-line spinners" ... but, even they aren't all that!! I use the "clips/snaps" for crankbaits - something like this (but smaller):

For jigs .... I tie an Improved Clinch Knot - and I can tie it about as fast as I can open a clip/snap & get it thru the jig eye hole, and closed again ...LOL!! I don't like a clip or even a loop knot on my jig line ... too much "hardware" & too prone to hanging in the timber. I use weedless jigheads & just change bodies to present a different "bait" ... don't have to re-tie very often. I also employ about 4 different rods, with 4 different baits ... until I establish some kind of pattern.

That's just the way "I" do it ....... it may not be the "best" way - but it works for me ............... luck2ya ...cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default snaps

Yeah, I use the ones like in Crappiepappy's picture too for trolling
    crankbaits. Not only makes it easier changing lures, (I change lures
    like a teenage girl changing clothes before a big date) but it really
    helps when one of those whiskered slugs or big green carp ball up
    two or three lines in a wad - as each plug comes in the boat, I unsnap
    it and lay it aside, then reclose the snap - lot easier to get untangled
    that way for me! Jeff
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

No-Knot Fas-Snap from Bass Pro.
    I use the medium. I also hate to retie and i like the way a snap lets the lure swing free. They are hard to see and I keep a pair of needle nose pliars handy to help me snap and unsnap.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up We use them all the time

We like swivel snaps because they allow for a lot of movement in a cast and retrieved lure, much like a loop knot that some guys use. I like the extra action especially when I'm bass fishing. Besides, Uncle Homer in Bassmaster uses them, too, and I figure he knows a whole lot more about fishing than I do. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast