Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: In boat fuel tank

Post Thanks / Like

Default In boat fuel tank

I had a guy call me wanting to trade his '83, 16' Charger Bass boat for my Tritronics 2 dog shock collar setup. The boat sports an 84 90hp Yamaha outboard. The boat and motor were last tagged in '02. He said the motor is seized. I went and looked at the rig last night. Exterior of boat looks good, transom seemed solid, trailer in good shape, interior needs some attention. I noticed that the boat has a built in fuel tank. I pulled the cap and didn't like what I saw. I am wondering if there is a method of being able to clean one of these tanks properly? He had the rig listed for $800 on Craigslist, but after looking at it, I think it's worth a lot less. I have the collar setup listed at $325. I know it's worth that much or more. I guess I'm really asking if you guys think I could make a buck or two from doing the deal. I'm thinking about checking into the motor and find out what's up with it. If it can't be repaired reasonably, then perhaps parting the thing out. The boat and trailer might bring about 5 bills if cleaned up. Your thoughts?
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Trailers normally bring good money...

If the electronics in the motor are good...if it has t/t...that stuff will bring some decent money....the cowling can also...

If the lower unit has clean oil in it...and it shifts as it should...that will pay for the boat if you can get around 4-500.

Does it have a stainless prop?? If it does and is good shape you can shine it up with a buffer and some white rouge and get a 100 out of that possibly...75 at least I would say if its not dinged up.

If the boat itself is in good shape...the fiberglass...clean it all out...simple green is one of the best products for this...and you might get a 100 or so out of the hull.

The tank, if its metal...trash it...if its plastic so you can see through it...use simple green and wash wash wash...maybe after the first wash take it to the car wash and really get after it. The set it out and let it dry...once its all dry put some gas in it...slosh it around...all over it...do this a few times and you should be good. If you use the tank yourself...put some stabil in the first couple tanks for peace of mind...but the tank should dry out eccspecially with the gas getting slosh around in after it sets and drys out.

If you can get it for 5 or less I would jump on it...check the lower unit oil first though...if its white you may have a hard time making money.

Just my thoughts
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

Good info Scrapper, thanks. White oil in the lower unit? What would cause it to be white?
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

White milky oil in the lower unit means theres water in it. Probably rust too. Billy

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up on what Billy says...you can get water into your lower unit and NEVER see an oil or residue on the lower unit. It is much easier for water to intrude than for oil to get out...there are times that there is a vacuum in the lower unit...it will pull water in if the seals are bad. Also oil is much thicker than water...so even if you don't see oil...there may be water in it.
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to expand on what scrapper said about trailers bringing good money....

I work with a guy who finds, refurbishes, and resells boat trailers......

He has sold 19 trailers this year alone (2008)...and that's not even advertising at all...

He sets them out in his yard for sale....

He gets around 350 for a galvanized rebuid and 500-600 for the heavier u channel steel design..

He sells most of them around tax return time....
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor