Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PT 35 Tilt/Trim unit

Post Thanks / Like

Default PT 35 Tilt/Trim unit

I have a CMC PT35 Tilt/Trim unit on my boat. Use with a 30hp Yamaha. Have been out a couple of times over the last few weeks and am having problems with it running for about 5 seconds (in either direction up or down) and then stopping. I have to wait about 15 seconds or longer and then it will work again for a few minutes. i have never had this problem before. Checked connections and everything seemed to be locked down tight. Any ideas where my connection might be bad? Could it be at the switch? Stumped!

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like it may be an overload protection on the motor or something if it has that...or the switch is bad...maybe its getting hot and the overload protection shuts it down till it cools...these are fairly simple things other than the valving for the hydraulics.

Canepole or IBNFSHN will be good to answer this. I'm sure one of them will chime in soon. They are electronics experts and can probably point you in the right direction to diagnose the problem.
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
    Sounds like it may be an overload protection on the motor or something if it has that...or the switch is bad...maybe its getting hot and the overload protection shuts it down till it cools...these are fairly simple things other than the valving for the hydraulics.

Canepole or IBNFSHN will be good to answer this. I'm sure one of them will chime in soon. They are electronics experts and can probably point you in the right direction to diagnose the problem.
    Personally I've never worked on one of the CMC units. I'll see if I can find a schematic on line. Meanwhile Scrapper may be on to something with the overload protection. Are there any joints that required lube? Or maybe binding somewhere causing an overload.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

lecty, that unit does not come with any protection. However, the installer should have installed something. Look at the pos post of the battery where it is connected and see if there is a circuit breaker in line for the unit. There could be a self-resetting breaker installed. That would certainly explain the symptoms you are getting. Let us know. BTW in case you don't have it, here is the manual for the unit. http://www.cook-mfg.net/PDFs/PT35%20Owners%20Manual.pdf

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

they did install a breaker on it. I know because a couple of years ago it would blow and would cause the unit to go all the way up. Would have to replace fuse but nothing since then. Do I need a new fuse or it sound like something is just causing it to not go up or down until it cools off. I don't know what would be different. I will pull everything out and look it over. It is kind of crammed back in the back with batteries, etc back there.

Post Thanks / Like

Look for an inline circuit breaker, not a fuse.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Just like ibnfshn said...find another circuit breaker...probably check the rating and see if that is the right size for what you are doing??

Its just like a breaker in the house...everytime it trips it will get a little softer....until eventually even the smallest strain will flip it. I bet since it started doing that it has gotten weak...and now flips when you use it for a few seconds.
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fellas, I found the other circuit breaker, bought another one at O'Reilly for $4 and it is fixed!!! Might be the cheapest fix for the boat I have ever had...lol. Thanks again for the help. Lecty

Post Thanks / Like

One last question. Although it seems to have fixed the problem and the tilt/trim unit is working great is there something underlying that is causing the circuit breaker to go bad or does that just happen over time. The unit is probably 8 years old or so and that's the first problem of any kind with it. Just want to make sure there isn't something more wrong that will cause problems down the road? Thanks again for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

They can just go bad like anything else can...they do not do it often...my circuit breakers to my trolling motor are 23 yrs old and still doing well. But who knows...lol. they could go at any minute.

They could have gotten some moisture in them...possibly some corrosion...nothing that you have done I'm sure. Boats are probably the most abused...even when taken care of...things that we own. Things will go bad every now and again. I would check for binding...maybe make sure everything is still in good moving order. Like ibnfshn said...could be some binding causing it. If you get a little too much strain on the motor it pops the circuit breaker to keep from cooking the motor. Any corrosion on the aluminum housing of the T/T setup?? Just some thoughts...listen to the motor going up and down and see if you hear any hard spots for it....spots you wouldn't hear with the engine running. I figure you fixed your problem though...anything, with moving parts, or electrical...given time will go bad...maybe it was just its time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast