Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ice Fishin at night

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ice Fishin at night

If I was to fish a 10-15 acre pond with the deepest spots around 20-25ft for bluegills and crappies at night how about would I go at it? Do I hang a light over the hole or submerge a light or no light? How deep? Would they most likely be up in the water column or closer to bottom?

I dont have a vexilar unit simply because we maybe get fishable ice for 2-3 weeks where I live and iv always went in the day time never at night. Just seein if it would be worth a night try or early morning (daylight)

Thanks for any help

Post Thanks / Like

Birdman....sounds like you got a great place to fish! Anyways, I will try to help ya. A light or lantern at night next to the hole COULD help. A light at night in the water COULD too. I have done both, with better results with a light UNDER the ice. As for where to fish, I would try to set up near some weeds or other structure in a middle depth range. Crappie do like to swim higher in the water column, especially at night, but they could be down low also. I would set up with one jiggin rod and dead stick a second one. This one I would put a minnow and splitshot on along with a slip bobber. The best advice I think I could offer you tho is to fish when the barometer is low or has been steady for at least 2 days. I hope this helps some. I'd be glad to answer any more questions you may have also. Good luck Birdman! <"\\\><

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a ton P-Row! I will have to try this out, hopefully this weekend, could be ourr 1 and only weekend to ice fish! Do you do better with waxies for crappie on little jigs, just plain little jigs, plain waxies, or minnows while ice fishing. I know crappiekeith kills em on T.H.E jig but he also fished bodies of water with better abundances of crappies than I

Post Thanks / Like

Birdman.....your very welcome! I would have to say I catch more crappie with small ice jigs with a wax worm or spike attached. I probly use minnows only 20% of the time. They can be deadly tho. Small jiggin spoons with a small treble hook/waxie work great for more aggressive fish. I do use a vexilar which is very helpful. It eliminates unproductive water fast. Without it, I think the slip bobber/minnow rig would be ideal. I saw your other post.......very nice gills! I hope this helps again. Good luck bud.

Post Thanks / Like

Catch'n fish is alway worth a try.
    Set a minnow 3 feet off of the bottom in the deepest spot or on the edge of the drop.
    Those fish are deep.
    The light thing is a joke.