Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Beginner Q's: using a crappie pole

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beginner Q's: using a crappie pole

Just bought my first crappie pole. I have been crappie fishing for a couple of years, but never with a pole. This pole will actually be used more for bream. First question, what are the two snap/hook things on the bottom segment of the pole? Do i tie the line around the top section of the rod and then run the line through the eye? Feel free to give any other advice as well. Thanks -- --Ben
    What's worse, to be in church wishing you were fishin' or to be fishin' and know you should be in church?

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

I just tie to the eye. If it will hold the hook why would it not hold the pole? When you say crappie pole...you mean a plain telescopic pole right? I use a few for my outside poles trolling by making my line longer than the pole. They work great. They can be used like a bream pole with a bobber. Try using it as a jig pole. Dropping the jig straight down into tightspots in brush can produce fish when they are tight to cover. Bait shop here had them 5 bucks each so I got 4. I only use 2 at the time.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Tarpon;;; I think the snap clips on the bottom part of the rod your talking about, they're to wind the line up on when you collapse the pole for storage, I myself never break my poles down. As for tying my line, I drop back about two foot from the end of the pole tye it off as i come up to the end of the pole i twist the line around the pole about 4 or 5 times then threw the eye. Run a piece of electrial tape around the tip of the pole real tight, also where you tyed it about 2 foot back. The reason i do this is if i brake my line off pulling out of a snag, you just simpally let out a little line from the extra you have on the pole instead of having to restring the hole pole.
    Hope that help's

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up If you're talking about ....

the "cleats" on the longpoles .... Crappielips is right - they're "line winders", for storing your line.
    What I did, on my 10' & 12' collapsable longpoles, was to wrap the line around the rod ... butt end to tip. Taped it at the butt end and spiral wrapped line all the way to the tip, then let the line hang free to the butt end (length of the rod) ... then tied my stuff on that "tag" end. When I collapse the rods for storage - I just wrap the loose line around the collapsed pole and slip the hook under one of the line wraps. Neither of my longpoles has the "line winder cleats" ... and I'm using Cortland Braid line on the rods (not mono). I mostly used them for minnow/float fishing in shallow brush ... so I tied a mono leader onto the main line, and put my hook/sinker on that.

Everytime I hear someone say they tie their line to the tip eye ... I just get the impression that the line "Starts" there (no backup line wrapped around the pole). If that's the case ... I'm wondering if that's the reason for so many rod tip breakages ? My longpoles are fiberglass, and the line goes thru the tip eye - but not tied to it - and I've lifted fish over 2.75lbs out of the water, holding the rod almost straight up, and never broke one. Maybe the UL graphite ones are a tad lighter, & thinner .... but, maybe they aren't necessarily stronger ? And I'm sure they aren't meant to have the line "tied" to the tip eye ! Just IMHO .............cp

Post Thanks / Like

Great info ya'll. Thanks for the help
    What's worse, to be in church wishing you were fishin' or to be fishin' and know you should be in church?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah CP Iv'e seen that done to, Wrapped from one end to the other.

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    the "cleats" on the longpoles .... Crappielips is right - they're "line winders", for storing your line.
    What I did, on my 10' & 12' collapsable longpoles, was to wrap the line around the rod ... butt end to tip. Taped it at the butt end and spiral wrapped line all the way to the tip, then let the line hang free to the butt end (length of the rod) ... then tied my stuff on that "tag" end. When I collapse the rods for storage - I just wrap the loose line around the collapsed pole and slip the hook under one of the line wraps. Neither of my longpoles has the "line winder cleats" ... and I'm using Cortland Braid line on the rods (not mono). I mostly used them for minnow/float fishing in shallow brush ... so I tied a mono leader onto the main line, and put my hook/sinker on that.

Everytime I hear someone say they tie their line to the tip eye ... I just get the impression that the line "Starts" there (no backup line wrapped around the pole). If that's the case ... I'm wondering if that's the reason for so many rod tip breakages ? My longpoles are fiberglass, and the line goes thru the tip eye - but not tied to it - and I've lifted fish over 2.75lbs out of the water, holding the rod almost straight up, and never broke one. Maybe the UL graphite ones are a tad lighter, & thinner .... but, maybe they aren't necessarily stronger ? And I'm sure they aren't meant to have the line "tied" to the tip eye ! Just IMHO .............cp
    I've never had trouble with the tip breaking and I just tie it on there. May not be right but it works for me. Never lost a fish because I tie to the eye. Tying to a slick pole without slipping was harder for me. Guess I need some tape. I'll get it right one day. :D

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson