Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Side imaging ???s

Post Thanks / Like

Default Side imaging ???s

Hello all, aint talked to yas in a while but seems your all still catchin the goods. LOL Got a side imaging question or 2 for yas if someone could help. We are no doubt about it going to get either the 997 or the 1197 unit but were wanting to transfer it back and forth from our bass boat to our catfishin boat so we know we need a lot of extras so we can just take the head unit from one boat to the other. There is a problem we seem to be runnin into when talkin to folks bout the si units though. They all pretty much say the transducer needs to be mounted below the boat somehow so you get the full effect of the si unit. Well I just don't see how folks do that without tearin it off the boat. If it were mounted on a trollin motor it would get damaged bouncin off trees, hit any debris tear it off the boat. As for when it is on the catfish boat were constantly slammin debris in the river when the river is up. Not on purpose but it happens. is there a way to mount a transducer where it wont get wacked with the way we fish. We would love to mount through hall on both boats but from what I hear that doesnt work for the si graphs. Any help would be appreciated. By the way got my biggest bluecat the other day out on the river. 54lbs. will post a pic soon. She was a monster.

Post Thanks / Like

CrappieCrazed.. try looking under forum 8th row down look it Fishing electronics and trolling motors good luck Larry
    J.I.L. <*)}}}><

Post Thanks / Like

CrappieCrazed,
    I have a 797 si and my puck is mounted flush with the bottom of my boat like I have done with all my tranducers in the past. It seems to work great for me.
    Tim
    Ohio State Board moderator
    www.easternbuckeyecrappieclub.com
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

bttmline,
    How do you like the 797 si? I am thinking of getting the 798 si this year around tax time. I hear the 798 is a 797 w/ a few of the 997 features and upgrades. I have three boys all playing baseball and eating everything in site, so that extra $1000 for the 997 ain't gonna happen.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieCrazed View Post
    Hello all, aint talked to yas in a while but seems your all still catchin the goods. LOL Got a side imaging question or 2 for yas if someone could help. We are no doubt about it going to get either the 997 or the 1197 unit but were wanting to transfer it back and forth from our bass boat to our catfishin boat so we know we need a lot of extras so we can just take the head unit from one boat to the other. There is a problem we seem to be runnin into when talkin to folks bout the si units though. They all pretty much say the transducer needs to be mounted below the boat somehow so you get the full effect of the si unit. Well I just don't see how folks do that without tearin it off the boat. If it were mounted on a trollin motor it would get damaged bouncin off trees, hit any debris tear it off the boat. As for when it is on the catfish boat were constantly slammin debris in the river when the river is up. Not on purpose but it happens. is there a way to mount a transducer where it wont get wacked with the way we fish. We would love to mount through hall on both boats but from what I hear that doesnt work for the si graphs. Any help would be appreciated. By the way got my biggest bluecat the other day out on the river. 54lbs. will post a pic soon. She was a monster.
    This is a 797c transducer mounted just how you would want it.... The 997 and 1197 are twice this size... I was worried about ripping off my transducer and I have been in some rough situations.. Shouldn't be a problem for you.

Last edited by JusFshn; 01-14-2009 at 08:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

You might also want to think about putting in a switch and a 2nd (high speed)transducer. The SI transducer generally won't give you a good depth reading at speeds over about 30 MPH on my boat. I just switch to the high speed ducer when I'm running.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fished-out View Post
    You might also want to think about putting in a switch and a 2nd (high speed)transducer. The SI transducer generally won't give you a good depth reading at speeds over about 30 MPH on my boat. I just switch to the high speed ducer when I'm running.

I have been out several times with a buddy that has a 997si and the side imaging is great but as for the 2d, he and I have the same idea in mind................ Have a lowrance mounted next to it for the 2d and high speed. Im not knockin the humminbird but no doubt about it when we fish on the river for cats the 2d on the humminbird is looks like an old pack man video game compared to the color lowrance units. jmo. the lowrance seems to show the bottom a heck of a lot better and more clearly and for some reason the 997 he has doesnt give you much of a bottom color change when the bottom changes from a soft bottom to hard. This is very important to us because at certain times of the year big blues will be on gravel bars and rocks and other times on softer bottoms. This is why I kinda wish lowrance would come up with a si unit. Trust me I don't want two big screens in my face but thats what its gonna have to be.

Thanks everyone for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Speck
    I love it. The hardest thing is fishing ithout trying to watch it all the time. I just got the bigger 997/1197 transducer and all the filtering stuff from Hummingbird since everyone was talking about them on the Electronics forum. They sent me all the stuff free to keep a customer smiling. The only thing, now I have to wait for ice out.
    Ohio State Board moderator
    www.easternbuckeyecrappieclub.com
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member