Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Gettin the itch!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gettin the itch!

Folks it's that time of the year for me that I have started sorting the tackle boxes, getting the reels lubed, the boat maintained and cleaned, and my Dad is calling and talking about the spring spawn. I'm gettin that ol' fever we all love! So that means it's also that time of the year I start looking to this forum and Crappiepappy for tips, tricks, and stories. So let's talk some crappie fishin. Even my girls are ready!
    Wichita

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Being "on ready" ...

is a phrase that my fishing partner and I use all the time. It's used as often as a kidding remark, as it is a serious one :p
    Then there's our descriptive phrase for making a trip, fishing ... "going on an adventure" (since something always happens, that makes it more than just "a trip" )

I try and always be "on ready" for "going on an adventure" ... but, uncontrollable stuff, like work, weather, etc. always seems to crop up and put a damper on the situation. Here's hoping that 2009 will be "the year" that I get to go fishing more than a handful of times. I really need to upgrade my experiences on my favorite KY waters ... I'm getting tired of having to repeat the posting of my outdated experience information. :D

I need to get back to Taylorsville Lake, and see what the deal is, there !!
    I need to get back to Herrington Lake, and see if my mojo is still good, there !!
    I need to get down to Green River Lake, and see if my favorite spots are still as good as they used to be !!
    And I'll probably sample Cedar Creek Lake, a time or two, to see if the Crappie have started to "grow up", like they're supposed to do.

Already planning my April trip to Watts Bar Lake, Tenn.

... luck2ya'll ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

What do you mean by "getting" the itch? You mean that sometimes it goes away?

On Sat, we finished up our chores a little early, and my wife said, "Why don't you take the boat out?" Of course it had been on my mind, but I hadn't said anything. I spent 2 hours floating around on our local pond in intermittent cold rain not catching anything at all, and when I got home, she said, "Did you have fun?" Yes, I did, and I couldn't explain why.

My 2009 fishing goals are:
    1. Take a guided crappie trip with my wife
    2. Fish these bodies of water at least once: Cedar Creek, Wood Creek, Laurel River, Herrington, Cave Run, and KY River
    3. Fish once a week
    4. Lose more tackle than I buy

Post Thanks / Like

I always have fishin' fever and I think I have the incurable strain of the fever. Like 2008, I plan on going fishing at least one day every weekend starting in March 2009. I will try to start in early Febuary, but as long as it's 20 to 30 degrees, I think I will kick back and look around for some new tackle and such. I have learned one thing in recent years, If you don't take the time to go or wait for the perfect time to go, then you will never go fishing. All my chores will be here tomorrow. And if tomorrow never comes, then somebody else gets to do them. It may sound selfish. I fish first, then worry about what others want to do later. Life is too short to work it away. Brad Praisley's "The Fishing Song" is my motto.

Post Thanks / Like

We're in the process of rigging up a trolling rack that will be used to longline jigs, something I'm going to learn for 2009. I hope to do a lot more fishing than last year (I think we all have that goal). Maybe this will be the year I get that 3 pounder!

Indian Rocks Beach, Florida, United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been scratching some lately also. Can't wait for this weather to break. Went down to Benson Creek Monday just to watch a bobber float. No fish, but it was good to wet a line.
    You can't finish what you don't start

Post Thanks / Like

See there I got your attentions! Like you Crappiepappy I plan on delivering some new and fresh stories! See I lost my best friend and fishing partner "whom taught me how and landed my first crappie" in February of 2008. In his honor I am going to fish on and fish hard for I know that's what he would want me to do. My Dad has stepped up to take his place and I can't think of a better partner. This is the time of year I work longer in order to work less during the peak. So I always have the itch, it's just now that I start scratching. Looking forward to seeing some of you guys out on the water swapping stories and stretching the truth just a little. Downwind we will hookup on Taylorsville and Crappiepappy I hope you hit all the water holes mentioned. Your wisdom is a value to me. Think I'll fry up a bag of paper mouths tonight for supper!
    Wichita

Indian Rocks Beach, Florida, United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure enough Wichita. I think it's going to be a good year for T-ville crappie. They seem to getting a bit bigger each year.
    You can't finish what you don't start