Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 692 Ranger??????

Post Thanks / Like

Default 692 Ranger??????

I am looking at a 94 Ranger 692 w/ 150hp Yamaha for tightling and trolling crappie fishing. I use a 01 Tracker Deep V 17 w/50hp now and the wind blows it all over the place while fishing. The Ranger is in great condition and has low hours on O2 Yamaha. Do think it is going to make a difference and worth getting rid of a newer boat fully rigged boat for an older boat like this to rig again. I have never had experience with a boat like this and looking for opinions. I do a little tournament fishing and it is never a calm tournament day. Thanks for replies.

Post Thanks / Like

The 692 is an awesome boat.You'll find it alot easier to control in the wind over your tracker.Not to mention you'll like the ride and performance alot better.PJ

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

You'll LOVE the ranger...although I'm partial...lol. VERY stable..you won't believe the stability of that rig in big waters and fishing...you can run circles in that boat and not tilt it. Not to mention the ride you'll have. Will be a smooth, quiet, and DRY ride. Lots of possiblities with the big decks...only problem i've found is trailering the 10-12ft rods to and from home...although I've got that figured out. You'll love the performance of that Yammie also!! She'll scream!!

I'd say go for it...but like I said..I'm partial. Be sure to go over it with a fine tooth comb...tilt the motor all the way up and push down on the skeg and watch transom...you know...the normal stuff. You'll LOVE IT!! Nothing like a Ranger!
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

I went from a 05 Tracker v-18 All Fish to 95 Ranger 681 . You can not make a better move.

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

I love my Ranger. It is old now and I wouln't sell it for $25,000. A used motor does scare me. I don't trust them. And many times it is the reason they are selling. Some problems don't show themselves even on a test drive. You need to start it from dead cold, don't them warm it up before you get there. Run it easy, run it hard. Get it hot and let is set a while and restart to see if it has trouble when hot. Even a compression check won't tell you the whole story. A leak down test on each cylinder will.

It is a nice boat. No wood in transom. Go over it with a fine tooth comb. If you trust what you have, you might just want to keep it.

Did I mention I don't trust used motors?

Dayton

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with your decision!

I don't really understand the point about certain boats being "good in the wind" and others getting pushed around. Is this just a weight issue in that heavy boats take more force to move? Or is it a design issue in that boats with lower gunwales have less wind resistance? Or hull shape or something?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Mostly ...

Quote Originally Posted by TeqSheriff View Post
    Good luck with your decision!

I don't really understand the point about certain boats being "good in the wind" and others getting pushed around. Is this just a weight issue in that heavy boats take more force to move? Or is it a design issue in that boats with lower gunwales have less wind resistance? Or hull shape or something?
    ... it's the "draft" of the boat. Boats that sit deeper in the water, are harder for the wind to push around. Trackers aren't deep drafting hulls, and sit higher in the water column ... lending to them being more easily blown around, and even drifting in a light wind (esp the flat bottomed ones). The heavier, deeper bodied boats, are less suseptible to this problem.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

cg,
    I'll go with you and give her a test drive.... If you like what you see and I know you know your stuff; it'll be like going to work in a pinto...... to going to work in a bmw... after you get it if you do I want to go fishin...:D
    If you don't get hung every-once-n-a-while you ain't jigg'n it right..:D
    Member of:
    South Carolina Crappie Association TX. Trail
    Vexan Pro-staff Member

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Stumpjumper....hmmm...I think I would say going from a Jeep or something to a BMW lol :D ...thats what I don't like about my Ranger...those aluminum boats will go nearly anywhere and be okay....that big frieght train of mine doesnt....lol. That and I'm scared to take her places Thats the only downside to that big fiberglass boat...getting to those hidden places where the fish are. You could go...but be ready to bump and rub...lol...agrihawg is probably going to say I need to use that boat...but well...she's my baby...lol.
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

You just need to not run over stuff Scrapper. Like the stump on Dierks.....low water on Greeson....etc!
    J

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast