Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Springtime crappie on crankbaits

Post Thanks / Like

Default Springtime crappie on crankbaits

Hello all. Fairly new to the sight, and wanted to find out everyones opinions on fishing crankbaits in the spring. Tried it last year for the first time. I was fishing a small bay with alot of docks with a jig and bobber combo with limited success. Ended up talking to an older fellow who was hammering them, and found out he was throwing small crankbaits. Had 1 in my tackle box and decided to give it a try. Wow!! What a blast. Ended up slaying them a couple times with crankbaits in that bay.

As I try to gear up for spring, my question is what crankbaits do you fellas use for catching slabs. Went out and bought some small shad bodied crankbaits, and also found some yozuri pins minnows that look like they will produce. Seems like at the right time, these could easily out perform jigs and minnows. Also a nice change of pace from watching a bobber. Can't wait to hear everyones input.

Post Thanks / Like

Search the archives for "Bandits". I have never pulled them myself, here in Arkansas Creekslick is the resident authority. But, there are plenty of previous threads with lots of poop to learn from.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

I've caught some throwing Norman Crappie Cranks... Thing is I seem to only try it when they aren't hitting a jig real well and I think that is because they just aren't biting well on those particular days (because of conditions or whatever.) Therefore I don't catch many on the crankbait either. I imagine that if I were to throw it all day on a "good" day, I'd do decent on it. Pearl and Chart. is the color I have caught the most on.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies guys. Just checked out the Norman Crappie Cranks. Nice looking bait, and the size is just right. Probably gonna grab a few of these and give 'em a shot. Think they'll work perfect at another one of my favorite springtime spots that is a little on the deeper side. It's another place that I normally fish w/ a bobber, but the bobber bite never seems to turn on till nighttime. Started swimming jigs last year before the sun went down, and they hit it more than a stationary bobber/jig combo. Hoping to entice a few extra bites with these cranks.

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

They say they run 6' but thats optimum. They may run 6' on 4# test but if you want them to run shallower just use bigger line. 8# or maybe a smooth casting 10# will make a big difference. i usually throw them on 8#. The key with a larger line is finding one that casts them well.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

Good tips all have never thrown a crankbait for crappie!! Have caught a few while fishing for bass though

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

If you will try bitsy pond minnow you will have a blast,but in the heat of summer just troll bigger crankbaits. you will catch bigger crappie. I use wally marshall crappie cranks and bandit 200 and 300 series cranks.