Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Replacing stator

Post Thanks / Like

Default Replacing stator

WOO HOO first thread in the section.

How difficult is it to replace the stator on a Mercury 9.8? I have never torn into an outboard but have lots of experience with automotive engines.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by superdave1984 View Post
    WOO HOO first thread in the section.

How difficult is it to replace the stator on a Mercury 9.8? I have never torn into an outboard but have lots of experience with automotive engines.

The hardest part MAY be getting the flywheel off.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

IBNFSHN is right.

Not hard...you will need a flywheel puller....DO NOT try to do it with an automotive type...the one with clamps...you can bust the flywheel with those....you will need the screw in type. Many stores like napa, orielys, autozone, crowburlinggame, and the such have them...Other than that you just un screw the old on and put the new on...MAKE sure you watch the routing of your wires...as the flywheel will punish them in a hurry if you don't. Anyone with a little experience can do a stator though. Why did it go bad?? Make sure to check the rectifier...as one of them going bad can cause a stator to go south.

I'm going off the ones I've done....you may or may not need a puller. Depends on how old it is. Just don't beat and bang on it. I just remembered some old inline mercs I've worked on...the flywheel just unbolted and came right off.
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've pulled a lot of them with one of these While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at PartsAmerica.com and an impact wrench.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default mercury stator

SuperDave
    Well this is my first post, just joined yesterday.
    I changed my stator in my 6hp merc last fall, and runs great now. You will need a small puller. I used a auto steering wheel puller, I think about $10.00 at an auto place. You will have to come up with a odd size socket to loosed the nut holding the flywheel down.You will also have to rig up the correct bolts and washers to fit the puller to the two holes in the top of the flywheel. and rig a way to hold the flywheel while you tighten the puller, doesn't take much. I had lost my spark and needed to test the assemblys to find the problem. I have a chilton merc manuel which shows the correct readings on a multimeter. My stator didn't test bad until I wiggled the wiring. I did take a few pictures with my digital camera of the wiring hook ups and routing before disassembling, and was glad I did. You could probably just mark the leads with pcs of duct tape.
    I would guess an hour take out and put back the stator. If I can help you further in any way let me know.
    Good Luck
    Odtimr

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. I bought a manual for my motor and of course it looks simple in the book. I am merely guessing it is the stator since the coil packs are new and I get no spark.

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are guessing I would take that manual and do the tests that are in there. Go through ALL the wiring..check all the grounds...check the kill switch...plug wires...power pack...to many other variables besides just the stator that will cause a no spark condition...will get expensive in a hurry if you are just throwing parts at it.
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15