Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ethanol issue...From another thread but a must read...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ethanol issue...From another thread but a must read...

for all who are concerned about the 10% ethanol in gasoline. Tho't I'd post it under a new thread to catch some attention. Interesting read. What'd y'all think?

Gasoline Expiration - Ethanol Blend Fuels Have a Short Shelf Life

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

GOOD TO KNOW! I FOUND AND BOUGHT A BOTTLE OF STA-BIL ETHANOL STABILLIZER. I THINK I WHOLE BOTTLE WILL TREAT 60 GALLONS. I USED IT AND NEVER SEEMED TO HAVE ANY PROBLEMS. WE GO THROUGH OUR 13 GALLONS IN ABOUT 4 TRIPS 25HP MERCURY 2 STROKE.

HERES THE LINK TO THERE NEW PRODUCT :
    Gold Eagle - Stabil Marine
    Remember, We all live down stream!
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

man there's alot of good info. in there. just had to have carbs cleaned and rebuilt because of that very reason 160 bucks. thanks!!!!!!!!!
    If it will hold cornmeal it's big enough for me !!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff.It is getting hard to find a store that does not have any ethanol mixed with thier gas so I guess stabil will keep getting more money from me.

Post Thanks / Like

So, somebody tell me again why E10 is being forced on us.........

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodduck View Post
    So, somebody tell me again why E10 is being forced on us.........
    Treehuggers........
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yamaha FAQs...nobody told me at dealer....

I have purchased 4 new 4 strokes over the past 6 years. Not one dealer recommended adding a water separator. Is the fuel filter with the engine supposed to do the trick? Nothing is clear about this E10. Now, if the dealers are not telling us facts, well, maybe they are anticipating parts and labor.
    I add Stabil to all my gas, but I can't find any Green Stabil locally. There exists another product for marine use, but I can't remember name maybe Rit troll or something like it. ????

Total prevention of issues may not be possible but there are steps you can take to minimize the occurrence and severity of the negative affects of E10 fuel:
    • If at all possible, do not use E10 fuel.
    • Ideally (before switching to E10 fuel) have your fuel tank completely drained to remove any accumulated water. As little as 16 oz. of water can promote phase separation in 25 gals of E10 fuel. The result would be 2.75 gals of unusable ethanol and water mixture on the bottom of the tank.
    • If the tank can be completely drained, the internal surfaces should be mechanically cleaned to remove rust or aluminum oxides. Fuel polishing companies may be able to provide this specialized service.
    • Consider replacing the fuel tank in an older boat.
    • If your boat has fiberglass fuel tanks built prior to the early 1990’s, consult with your boat builder concerning E10 compatibility.
    • If unable to completely drain and clean your tank before switching to E10 fuel, add as much E10 fuel as possible to minimize the possibility of phase separation. Example: 16 oz of water may cause phase separation in 25 gals of E10 but 16 oz of water in 30 gals would be safe from phase separation.
    • Install a Yamaha 10-micron water separating/fuel filter between the boat’s fuel tank and the engine.
    • Change the 10-micron filter every 25 hours of use until there are no indications of excessive water and contaminates collecting in the filter. Normal filter changes are recommended every 50 hours of use.
    • Carry extra filters and change more frequently if there are indications the efficiency of the filter is rapidly diminishing due to excessive water and contaminates.
    • Do not drain a used filter and reinstall. Contaminated fuel can enter the filtered side of the filter while draining.
    • Buy name brand fuel.
    • Buy fuel from the same source if possible.
    • Buy fuel from stations that have newer, cleaner storage tanks.
    • Occasionally, test your fuel to verify the amount of ethanol is not higher than 10%. The blending of ethanol with gasoline by distributors is not a precision process. Inexpensive test kits are available, GOOGLE E10 Fuel Test Kit.
    • Regularly use Yamaha Fuel Stabilizer to retard fuel aging.
    • Stabilize fresh fuel before storing. Stabilizers do not help fuel that has already aged. Stabilizers are most effective when immediately added to fuel fresh from the gas station or marina fuel pump.

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone answer my question on the filter?

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the stations here in Vermont have that 10% mix but with the mileage I drive every day 100+ miles round trip I haven't had any problems (cross your fingers).

I hope stations get away from this 10% crap soon but I don't think it's gonna happen.

Cane Pole wish I could help you out but I don't know.

Fatman
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 01-13-2009 at 08:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Who are fuel-testers dot com? I don't know anything about them. Hope they are reputable and not just hawking a their product.

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast