Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: homemade plastics

Post Thanks / Like

Default homemade plastics

I have tons of Bass fishing worms and was wondering if anybody cuts and paste them to creates some new crappie creations? Got any pictures or ideas?
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Check out this page .... Bass Fishing Resource Guide®: Making Plastic Worm Molds

It could be done with smaller plastic for crappie. They also make molds for jigs and creatures that will work.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey nightprower.. is your question to make molds or modify your old bass fishing plastic worms to make crappie baits?

If it's the latter..I've actually heard of some instances where bream fishermen bite off the curly tail part and just fish with the "stub" of the plastic of their jig....

I don't see why it wouldn't work...IMO
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

There are a couple products to "weld" plastics to new shapes or repair them. Mend It and Venom Worm glue are used and there is a hot iron type, Pro Weld plastics welder, that melts the plastics together with a small wire.

A candle will also work but make sure to melt both section at the same time so they hold better.

Here are some inexpensive molds to make your own:Lorie Kay molds
    It is easy to melt the plastics in a small pan under just enough heat to melt them. I have done it many times with mixed results. Some plastics just won't work where some work just fine. Just do it outside or in the garage because the fumes can be nasty and in some cases noxious if not poisonous.
    I love taking my kids fishing, now if I could just manage to fish at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

I melt my soft plastics in a microwave. It takes a little practice to get it right but it works great. The only real problem is that if you leave them in too long you will burn the plastic. It doesn't take long to figure out. Just make sure that you are not going to use the microwave for food after melting soft plastics in it. The fumes from the worms permiate the inside of the microwave and it is no longer good for food. And as stated before make sure you have good ventilation because the smell of the plastic can be overpowering.
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

Post Thanks / Like

Default welding plastics

Be certain to use a fan to draw away the fumes. Get a pencil soldering iron at Wal Mart automotive under 5 bucks. Cut two flaps in a medium sized tin can about an inch long and fold them down and out, making a holder for your soldering iron. Now, with a piece of plastic in each hand, touch the fat barrel on the iron melting both ends at the same time, you just have to melt them a very little, then press them together and hold for a few seconds. If the joint mushes out and makes a ring shape, hold both ends of the pieces and spindle them back and forth against the barrel, it will smooth the joint out.

Also, get a piece of copper wire about the thickness of a pencil lead or a tad thicker....wrap it around the tip three times and let a piece stick out off the end about three quarters of an inch. When hot, use this tool for precision welds and mending hook holes and tears. Just pass the wire though the hole or tear pressing it together when you do. Instant weld. I used my iron several years and did a lot of welding before it finally gave out. Remember what I said about an exhaust fan. I put a box fan in my garage window and work at the bench just under that....draws it right out.

A lizard head on a 7 inch Culprit worm makes a great snake for pulling topwater over brush and trees..... When you use the lizard body, peg a bullet weight on the front with a toothpick and paint the weight to somewhat match. Makes a new head for the lizard. Color doesn't matter on a snake. I once used a bright red glass football shape bead on the front of a green worm for a snake and it was smacked clean out of the water by a biggun....so you don't have to worry a lot about matching color on either the snake or the lizard.

Post Thanks / Like

Default baits

Ive seen alot of guys try this online usually to make masters so they can make a plaster mold. With the selection of baits out there i honestly dont really see any benefit for the normal bass/crappie fisherman. TO me although it can be fun you will probably just end up wasting alot of baits and time. I feel your location and presentation is much more important than your bait most of the time.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

You need to head over to Tackleunderground Home and check out the plastic forum. I pour my own solid body crappie tube. It fun, its very addicting.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

robbor, Ive a buddy of man saw an oler gentleman at the ramp with a load of crappies, talked to him and the older gent have him a handful of remelts from bassworms and the like. Somehow he melted them down into a stinger type jig. Long story short, they worked 5 to 1 what other jigs we used them beside.