Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: goldfish as bait

Post Thanks / Like

Default goldfish as bait

I googled Crappie goldfish and saw that a lot of people use goldfish to fish for catfish.

Also saw one article where a guy claims goldfish can work better than some minnows for crappie. Anyone ever use goldfish for crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fowlguy
    I googled Crappie goldfish and saw that a lot of people use goldfish to fish for catfish.

Also saw one article where a guy claims goldfish can work better than some minnows for crappie. Anyone ever use goldfish for crappie?

I used goldfish a couple times when the bait shop was closed. I caught a couple bass and catfish using them. They are nothing more than a small baby carp, so I am sure the crappie will eat them as well. It is the same concept as using Rosey Red minnows. They do everything else a minnow does except they are brightly colored.

Post Thanks / Like

I think in some states it is illegal to use goldfish for bait though, you might want to do some checking first.
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GABoy
    I think in some states it is illegal to use goldfish for bait though, you might want to do some checking first.
    Yeah, I've read that, heard that or something that. Just can't remember where.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I have caught some HUGE flathead catfish with goldfish. The local bait shop wants around $.50 a piece for goldfish, so I don't reckon I will be using them for crappie. It is just as easy to seine some chubs out of the local creek and I may consider trying them for crappie. But, I will probably end up using them for big cats!

Post Thanks / Like

INDIANA LAW:

"It is illegal to possess, for any reason, a game fish that does not meet the bag limits or size limits indicated for that species. Any legally-caught fish may be used as bait. However, it is illegal to use live carp or gizzard shad for bait, except at Brookville Reservoir, where live shad are allowed. Live goldfish are legal baitfish. Do not dump bait buckets or move any live fish from one lake or river to another waterway. Introduction of live fish into a waterbody is stocking and requires a permit from the DNR."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Yeah, I've read that, heard that or something that. Just can't remember where.

I can't remember where either, but I know I heard it or saw it somewhere too.

Apparently, it wasn't Indiana. Hee hee
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

i go to petsmart or stores like that and buy the small ones they use to feed oscars and fish like that and i have caught alot of crappie on them and catfish and bass. they work.

Post Thanks / Like

Well at the time I used mine in Lafayette, Indiana (home of the PURDUE BOILERMAKERS). I guess I was legal in doing so. I miss my college fishing holes, maybe someday I will take a day trip from Ft. Wayne back down to Lafayette and fish my hot spots.