Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: what would Rango do??

Post Thanks / Like

Question what would Rango do??

Here in Washington we are only allowed one pole and minnows are not legal to fish with, do you think crappie jigs, maybe tipped with worm or a crappie nibbles would be as effective?any suggestions??

Also how many q-beams do you deploy and what locations do you put them around your boat? A

nyone else can chime in too :D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fowlguy
    Here in Washington we are only allowed one pole and minnows are not legal to fish with, do you think crappie jigs, maybe tipped with worm or a crappie nibbles would be as effective?any suggestions??

Also how many q-beams do you deploy and what locations do you put them around your boat? A

nyone else can chime in too :D

occasionally at night well use a jig, but not very often. sounds like with the laws in your state, night stalking is not much of a option. If i was limited to one rod id still go fishing, but doubt id do any night stalking if i had to stick with jigs. im a live bait fisherman. im guessin id probably be a day stalker hunting brush piles if all i could use was a single rod with a jig. as much as i like my fishing, if id ever have to move, id make sure the game laws was some i could live with. your states laws are too restrictive for me... we used to use one light per person, but here lately seems like everyone wants to use to. i'm also using two myself.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Well Fowlguy .......

personally, I think Rango would move out of Washington state .... :D

But, seriously .... if one can "find" the fish, and "pattern" the movements or holding areas -- one pole with a jig can catch enough fish to make the trip a worthwhile venture. One can only, legally, catch a certain number of fish per trip ... so, discount the "numbers", and concentrate on "quality". ........cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default I would

I know I don’t know anything about night stalking. I’m starting to look into it and accruing the gear. But I think if I wanted to try it with 1 pole and jig I would. What are you really out? A couple lights, a rod holder (for each person), a couple anchors, a new trolling battery (for the lights) or you could pull your fishing buddies trolling battery to try it a night or two. Beings I was questioning how well it will work, I would probably buy the cheaper equipment. I also would only buy as little as possible till I found out if I was going to work for me or not. For example: the lakes that I normally fish have alot of standing timber. I would for go the anchors and tie up to 1 or 2 trees and except losing a few jigs.

Of course that is my opinion, and as I said I don’t know anything!!!

Kevin

may your livewells stay full, and your rods stay bent.

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

not that I would ever do this...but would the dark/brown feeder goldfish catch a crappie? Do the look like a minner?

I know of guys that night stalk with a light, crappie jigs and bobbers and do pretty well, the techniques are certainly different.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Fowlguy ....

I wouldn't even bother with the "feeders" - if, as you say, "other" anglers are having luck using jigs/bobbers at night. (just learn their techniques, and get like'em !!)
    Casting, vertical jigging, "vertical casting", or even trolling (thru lighted areas, or past lighted docks) are still viable options for night fishing. A gas lantern, 9V lantern, 12V floating light, 12V clamp-on light, 12V submersible light, or even a "black light" are possible light sources.
    Since you have "standing timber" ... anchors may not even be necessary. I fished "tightline" for the first 8-10 years of my fishing career ... tied the boat to a tree, or between trees, and fished with minnows/Shad/Silversides (day or night). When I got into night fishing for Bass, using a "blacklight", I set the stage for my love of casting jigs for Crappie. I even caught Crappie while using Bass baits (hard & plastic), as well as catching them around lighted docks (on Crappie jigs).
    If using a "white" (or green) light ... tying to a stationary position would be my recommendation. But, if a "Blacklight" is being used ... you could be mobile in your approach, if you wanted.
    If you are fishing in an area of concentrated standing timber, and wish to "cast" the area ... I would recommend using weedless jigs/jigheads - and, if using a "Blacklight", you would certainly want to have hi-vis line on your reel (Stren Gold, Iron Silk Solar Mint, or some other brand of "colored" line that would show up under the blacklight ... clear/blu fluorescent mono, at the very least).
    There are many "possibilities" for nightstalking, even under your more restrictive conditions. Experimenting & trying new techniques is part of the fun of this sport. Nothing guarantees success, except persistance ... so just GO, and try some new things. ....... luck2ya ........cp