Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The use of Barometer ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default The use of Barometer ?

Is it reliable ?

Post Thanks / Like

I've read a lot about barometers, moon phases, tide charts, prime feeding times and such, but it boils down to one thing, if you got time, go fishing. they will bite when they are ready and if you are there you'll catch them. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Go Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by reelcrappie
    I've read a lot about barometers, moon phases, tide charts, prime feeding times and such, but it boils down to one thing, if you got time, go fishing. they will bite when they are ready and if you are there you'll catch them. Good luck.
    I think that is one of the best ways I have heard it put. You can't catch them if you aren't on the water with a line in! :D
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

i agree with everyone else, the best time to catch fish, is anytime u can get to the water...with that said ...From what i have read, it isn't the number on the barometer that is imporant, but the change that occurs in a given time. i watch the one in the garage closely. if there is a sudden rise in the air pressure, causing the barometer to go up (from what i have read) it puts pressure on the fishes swim bladder and makes them uncomfortable. This causes them to lay up and hide, not wanting to do much. if it stays at the point it raised to for a couple of days the fish become accoustomed to it and things return to normal. if the barometer drops a ways then the fish seem to be more active they move and feed and act a bit more agressive. i don't let changes stop me from going at all , but i do get more excited when i see it drop good. Hope this helps u ....Good luck
    Gone fishin', be back for deer season :D

Post Thanks / Like

I think Moose had a thread on the subject that I could actualy understand and it made sense. You just have to search for it yourself cause I couldnt find it. Baisicaly it said the reason the bite is better with a falling barometer is cause thats when its clouding up and fish are getting out of cover and are not restricting there movement to heavy cover. The reason the bite slows when it rises is cause they are holding tight to cover for shade. I dont know if this helps but again it made sense to me.

Post Thanks / Like

I like everyone else think the best time to go is when you can!!But a falling barometer is usually a more active bite--the fish become more active feeding do to fronts moving in,ect.Just got a weather sence unit for my matrix and plan to watch it to learn more firsthand on this! Good Fishin To Ya!!Dennis
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have got a free barometer attachment that hooks into my fishfinder but I have never hooked it up yet. I do know the barometer usually falls before a front goes through and the fish bite better. It usually rises after a front goes through and the fish usually don't bite near as well.
    Dennis, let me know how yours works out, I may have to attach mine.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this is as controversial as which is the best truck. My logs show that usually when its rising, the fish bite better. I believe there is a lot more that has to be factored in but I have no idea what. Like everyone else says, the best time to go is when you can. However, if the barometer is falling fast, GET OFF THE WATER.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I would advise you to search barometric pressure, there have been numerous discussions. One that included barometric pressure was: http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...etric+pressure

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Redtick
    I have got a free barometer attachment that hooks into my fishfinder but I have never hooked it up yet. I do know the barometer usually falls before a front goes through and the fish bite better. It usually rises after a front goes through and the fish usually don't bite near as well.
    Dennis, let me know how yours works out, I may have to attach mine.
    REdtick-used it today,barometer was rising,only caught 3 in about 2.5 hrs. Marked lots,they just had lockjaw.So far it sure appears that the falling,rising is more then a myth.Will keep you posted as i use it more.Was real easy to hook up! Good Fishin To Ya!!Dennis :D
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast