Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shootin' docks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shootin' docks

Decided that I need to broaden my tactics this next spring. I already do real good during the spawn w/ flyrod in the shallows, but have been doin' some readin' on dock shooting. The premise on how seems pretty straight forward, but was wondering besides practice, do any of you "master dock shooters" have any tips? Thanks in advance for your valuable advice.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

By no means am I an expert, but here is a post I put up last year. Plenty of tips in it.

1)I would recommend watching Ernest Paty's DVD
    2) Get the right rod and a "trigger" reel. I like the Shimano Spirex.
    3) Use the right lineI use 10lb Ripcord unless it's windy then I use 4lb flor yellow mono
    4) Baits like the Bass Assassin, a tube, or slider work best for me. Curly tails don't skip as well.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...-shooting.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MDCrappie View Post
    By no means am I an expert, but here is a post I put up last year. Plenty of tips in it.

1)I would recommend watching Ernest Paty's DVD
    2) Get the right rod and a "trigger" reel. I like the Shimano Spirex.
    3) Use the right lineI use 10lb Ripcord unless it's windy then I use 4lb flor yellow mono
    4) Baits like the Bass Assassin, a tube, or slider work best for me. Curly tails don't skip as well.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...-shooting.html
    Does mono work better than braided? Braided seems to have less memory or am I way off?

Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

I like both. I use 4lb fireline on mine, and it'll put a jig back into oblivion when the shooter is spot on. I just havent found a mono I liked recently, well enough to go back to due to memory. Although I havent tried Mr Crappie on my shooters, I love it on my trolling/drifting/night stalking rods. I think Ill give it a whirl.

WATCH THE LINE WATCH THE LINE WATCH THE LINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!for twitches and bumps.

I like to use a pop-eye style jig (for now) but rubber does skip well.

One of the most fun ways to catch a crappie imho

Post Thanks / Like

Where do you hold the jig?
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

The head. I always make sure I have the hook towards the outside of my hand and not the palm, that way the barb doesnt fly by any flesh on the way out. Between thumb and index finger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TreednNC View Post
    I like both. I use 4lb fireline on mine, and it'll put a jig back into oblivion when the shooter is spot on. I just havent found a mono I liked recently, well enough to go back to due to memory. Although I havent tried Mr Crappie on my shooters, I love it on my trolling/drifting/night stalking rods. I think Ill give it a whirl.

WATCH THE LINE WATCH THE LINE WATCH THE LINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!for twitches and bumps.

I like to use a pop-eye style jig (for now) but rubber does skip well.

One of the most fun ways to catch a crappie imho
    I use 4# fireline on my spider rigging poles and like it real well. I wonder...do you think I can practice skipping off the snow? :D

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Hey Yank ...

take a look thru this thread ... I think I've collected most all my dock shooting tips into this one reply :

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/south...-shooting.html

Some of the other dock shooting members have given some good advice, in that thread, as well.
    One other thing, and I think I mentioned it in my post ... pontoons moored/docked outside/inside a dock, can also be a productive spot to "shoot" your jig under Just be "practiced" enough to be able to shoot your jig into a fairly small target opening, before you try a pontoon ... you don't want to be dinging your jig off the 'toon' or its motor :p (not only will you take the chance of spooking any fish underneath, you're not going to be held in the good graces of the owner, either :o )
    And if you've got any doubts about whether or not shooting under a pontoon is productive ... check out this video (click on the "Watts Bar" episode) :

Free "Midwest Crappie" TV Show|MyOutdoorTV.com|Free Fishing Video - MyOutdoorTV.com

... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...orth-show.html

here is a good pic of how these guys do it..check i tout

Post Thanks / Like

I use 4 lb test hi viz line with a 1/32 oz jig. I use a dockshooter wally martin rod thats about 5 foot. All my jigs are sickel hooks and I hold them by the hook. I find it easier than holding the head. Find a dock that has alot of shade or pontoon boats docked at it. You can shoot between the pontoons and get way back there. Plus the aluminian heats up the water faster when the sun is up. Look for docks in about 10 foot. Usually they will tap tap it on the fall.
    Get you a paint bucket and set it up in the drivewat and pratice. Just have alot of jigs with you because you will loose alot.
    Those fin s shads plastic looking minnows are deadly

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast