Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my fishfinder shuts off when I start the motor

Post Thanks / Like

Default my fishfinder shuts off when I start the motor

I had my Lowrance GPS sonar installed about a year ago and it worked perfectly until this winter. Now about three times out of four, it will shut off when I fire up the Mercury. Any advice would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

fair weather

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have both your engine and your accessories (Lowrance) using one battery? If so, maybe your engine is pulling down your battery voltage such that the Lowrance turns off.
    Small Boat Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    Do you have both your engine and your accessories (Lowrance) using one battery? If so, maybe your engine is pulling down your battery voltage such that the Lowrance turns off.

That is what happen to me a couple of times, after a long day with the aerator, and radio running. The motor still started fine but it had the battery voltage pulled down a little low.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    Sounds like the case. You can get a better battery, live with it, or get a seperate battery for your fishfinder and other accessories.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I do have two batteries and they don't seem low, ie. the trolling motor runs a long time and the main engine starts lively. Haven't used the live well as the water is so cold I keep the fish in a cooler, but the batteries have been around a while. I'll check them out.
    thanks
    fair weather

Post Thanks / Like

CHECK THE FUSE HOLDER FOR CORROSION. YOU MIGHT HAVE A LOOSE CONNECTION.lOW VOLTAGE WILL SHUT THE UNIT DOWN.
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What year & size of Merc do you have? You may have a problem of high voltage. Check the voltage at the starting battery. But you need to do it while the motor is in the water as you don't get full charging until the motor approaches 2000 RPMs. Better yet your Lowrance probably has an option in it where you can monitor the voltage.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Check all connections at battery, clean and tighten if necessary. Is your unit powered from a buss? If so run a wire directly to battery.

Post Thanks / Like

Battery is probably shot. Check the other things that were suggested, but the most common reasons are a battery that's shot, battery that's too small, battery that isn't charged between trips, and a bad charging system on the outboard.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Dual purpose everstart will probably fix it after everything else fails.MOAO
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast