Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: water pump on a 50 merc

Post Thanks / Like

Default water pump on a 50 merc

Looking for a link with pictures or something I can use to change my water pump on an 06, 50 hp merc. I'm sure it is very easy,I have just never done one

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Its not all that hard to do. Just be sure that ALL linkages for shifting etc...go back where they were and are adjusted as they were if they are adjustable. Also make SURE the water inlet tube between the midsection and the lower unit are back in one another.

I do not know for sure on that particular engine but most are pretty well the same. I'll try to do a little step by step here but you REALLY need to get a service manual and see actual pics before you do it. Sometimes there are little oddities that we are unaware of until we get into them. Each is a little bit different.

This is how most have gone for me step by step.

1. Put outboard in reverse. This allows you to turn prop to line up driveshaft splines later. Find out where the shift linkage disconnects from...older mercs just slide out...older johnny rudes would unhook under the carbs...some smaller Johnnyrude and Merc/mariners would disconnect in the water inlet of the lower unit or between the lower and midsection when you started to take them apart from one another. Once you know for sure where and how this comes apart the rest is pretty straight foward.

2. Begin to unbolt the lower unit from the midsection. There will be a series of bolts/nuts around it. Some can be hidden...normally there is on under the trim tab/anode...some are recessed and can be hard to see. After you do this the lower will slide off. If working by yourself have the engine tilted up some...this will bind it a little and keep if from just fall off real fast when you get the last bolt/nut undone. Now lift up on the skeg to take the pressure off the driveshaft and slide it off. If something stops you DO NOT pull and pull trying to get it off. Unless its filthy, old, or in salt water it should just slide off...don't jerk on it. You probably have missed something. Once its off you need to find a place to put it. (NOTE: where and how the water pick up tube is attached) I have an old 2X10 with a long notch cut in it. I hold it on the work bench with four drywall screws...the lower unit slides right into this. It looks like a really long U. This allows work on the water pump to be MUCH easier than if you were trying to balance it on the skeg or something like that. If it falls...ecspecially in a drive way you can harm things.

3. The next part is the easy part. Rebuilding the pump. Take and lay ALL your parts in your kit on a paper towel so you can see them. Some kits come with more parts than others...so before you start taking things apart....MAKE SURE of the parts you have.

4. Now that you know the parts you have...I would go to a shop and get an exploded view of the lower unit if you are not going to get a manual...will make life MUCH MUCH MUCH easier!! Start taking apart the water pump. First will be the water pump housing. This normally has 6-10 bolts in it. Normally its made of plastic. It will come up the driveshaft. Once you have that off look inside of it. There will be a metal housing inside of it...most of these are replacable and a new one will come with most kits...if its not on your towel LEAVE IT ALONE! Make sure there are not any gouges or anything in it. Also make sure nothing has melted...I ran into this while helping Arkiejohn on a boat...I had never seen one melted but the housing had acutally melted to the metal housing (insert). Now that you have checked that out and its okay or you replace it you will pull the impellor (pump) off. This is held on by a key. (NOTE: posistion and oreintation of key) The impellor will come straight up just as the housing did. (NOTE: keep the impellor sitting up the way it was in the housing. The blades will be bent in the direction it turned. this is important later.) After you examine the blades lay it on the table with it facing up.
    You now have normally a metal and rubber or felt gasket to pull off..these too will come up the drive shaft. (NOTE: Be sure you are watching all the gaskets and pieces as they come off and match them to your new pieces)

5. Now look down the water inlet..make sure there isn't any crude there or in any of the passages under the gaskets. If all this is clear...start putting the new pieces on. Everything goes on in reverse order. Be sure everything lines back up. Put the new gaskets and plate on.

6. You are now ready to put the new impellor on. Have some dish soap handy. Put the new key on it and lower the new impellor down the shaft...line it up and slide it down on the key. **now pour dish soap or hand soap all over the impellor and in the housing** Now that its soaped up, put the new housing on the shaft...slide it down to the impellor...(NOTE:the blades on the old impellor and turn the shaft in the in a way that the blades will bend back in the same direction.) As you are turning slowly push the housing down on the impellor. This soap also keeps you from having a dry start. Hold the housing on so it doesn't pop back off. Start all your bolts and tighten them...there will be a spec on this for torque...I normally just snug them up really good. Tighten in a circle as you would a wheel on a vehicle.

7. Now that its tight and everything is together...remember the way you turned the shaft to put the housing on?? Take some water and pour into the waterpump...turn the shaft in that direction...there should be soapy bubbles coming out of the water outlet of the pump...the one that goes up into the motor...you are now ready to put it back together.

8. Lightly grease the splines on the driveshaft. Have some help for this part. Run the shaft up into the midsection...making SURE the water tube and shift linkage are going back together as they should. If it will not go all the way have someone turn the flywheel...or the prop if you put it in gear before you took it off. it should slide up and in..sometimes they can be a bit harder to get all the way up than when they came down...so you may have to use a bit more force...but but no means get crazy with it!

9. Now that your on put on all the bolts/nuts and tighten...I like to put some "blue" loctite on sometimes...you don't have to but if you have it use it. The "red" is for permenent..."blue" not permenent. Put it on muffs start and check your water psi...should be good...check pee stream...should be good...remember some merc/mariners pee on the "BACK" side of the termostats...so in the winter time they may spit and pee lightly or not even at all idling on muffs...so don't be concerned if thats the case. Most times you should be able to hold your hand on the top of each head for 6-8 seconds...if it burns you when you touch it its too hot...if you can hold it on there for a minute...its not warming up.

Thats about it...this is VERY generic...and just what I do when I replace one. ALL outboards are a little different...check out iboats.com if you have any other questions...go to a shop and get an exploded view of the lower unit and keep it and get a manual if you can.

Good luck and let us know if you need anything else!
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You might try here iboats Boating Forums

Lots of good info and agreat bunch of guys

They can even explain (in layman's terms) how to do your repair
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Oops, sorry scrapper, you did just that (describe in layman's terms)

I guess we were typing at the same time and I didn't see your reply
    ------------—————

Post Thanks / Like

LOL @ rnvinc...yeah thats happened before...you are typing something then someone types the same thing but gets it posted before or at the same time. Its amazing to think of all the keyboards getting pounded...just for crappie.com....this very second!
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

hey laserdoc try this link for an online parts diagram...

Mercury & Mercruiser Parts, Mercury Outboard Parts & Diagrams, Force Outboard, Mariner

type in your motor specs and it should show you an exploded view of any section of your motor
    ------------—————

Post Thanks / Like

rnvinc...man I forgot about that...there's quite a few parts houses that have those diagrams on them and most you can print out. Good thinking!

Post Thanks / Like

It does look good but I cannot seem to find the break down of the water pump section?

Post Thanks / Like

hey laser, if you have a merc dealer down there, you can go to them and have them give you a photocopy from their microifich picture . they are pretty detailed. hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up on the merc dealer...the breakdown on the waterpump is normally somewhere on the lowerunit breakdown page...it may be an inset somewhere.

Laser, the water pump is fairly straight foward...if you pay close attention to how it comes apart you won't have any trouble. There really isn't too much to mess up. The main thing in my opinion is the lowerunit removal...the shift linkage and the water pump tube are the trickiest...you really need to understand how they work and go together...the rest isn't bad.

If you are planning on keeping the motor...and do alot of the work yourself...get a Merc/Mariner factory manual...you'll pay a premium for it but its worth it. If you post this on the iboats website one of the first things they'll ask or tell you is to get a manual. Its WELL worth the money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast