Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minkota vs Motorguide

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minkota vs Motorguide

What say ye! ive benn using motorguide for years thinking about switching could use your thoughts

CrappieDale
    Team BNB Crappie jigs
    Premium hand tied crappie jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I made the switch to MinnKota 5 years ago. If you will remember, somewhere in that time, Motorguide changed hands and they had a lot of problems with their new motors. My dealer advised me to try a MK on my new boat that I was getting. I told him I had always been a MG fan but I took his advice and am happy I did. The MK takes some getting used to because of the way it ramps up to speed but I have learned to use this to my advantage. The one thing, and only this one thing, that I don't like about it is the HUGE foot pedal. A bass fisherman may like it better but I don't like how much room it takes up but I am willing to live with it. I have used the living crap out of this motor and it is still going strong. I highly reccomend the MinnKota.
    The only way to have a good fishing spot is to make it yourself!

Post Thanks / Like

Thats what i dont like about motorguide on my ol pro crappie 175 series i had that big ol foot pedal.

CrappieDale
    Team BNB Crappie jigs
    Premium hand tied crappie jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Minn Kota all the way. I have had a Powerdrive, Endura, and currently an All Terrain, and besides not liking the Powerdrive for they type of fishing I do primarily (I tourney fish for green carp), there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. Just not suited for tourney bass fishing. Now that I am into crappie and striper fishing as well, I almost wish I had kept it, along with designing a quick release mount, so I could have the AT for green carp, and the powerdrive for crappie/stripes.

Post Thanks / Like

CrappieDentist is a big MG fan. They used to sponsor him in tourney fishing. He has been loyal to a fault since. I told him he don't owe them squat and that a trollin motor is a trollin motor. Unless you want remote control, and an auto pilot, and HAVE to be extremely stealthy. If it pushes or pulls the boat in the wind I fish, then it has my nod of approval. I currently have a MinnKota 55AP which is just fine for me. I like the autopilot thing for when I am working a bank slow trolling for a magic spot. I still have to make an adjustment ever now and then, but, not nearly as much as constantly having to place my foot on the foot feet. Bass Pro website will tell you that a 36lb is good enough for any boat under 16'. I am currently running a 14.5' glass and the 55lb is fine until I have fought some wind awhile. That takes a toll on the battery. Enough to make me want to look at a 24-36v setup. I'm going to stick with the 55AP for now and see how it will do on the Crappie Reaper, a current restoration of a 14.5' aluminum boat. I figure I am cutting the overall weight by at least 2/3rds of the weight of my glass boat. So, with the 55 pulling 1/3 the weight of what it has been, it should suffice. If I found a bargain on a TM that was named, POS, and it did the job, I'd have no problem with owning the POS.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

I have a minn kota and I like it realyy well 70 lb pulls my 19 ft boat real well had it for a year no problems fished with it alot.
    d

Post Thanks / Like

i have used motorguide most of my life. on my new boat last year i was talked into a minnkota. it has been a great motor. it has not let me down at all. thet only complaint i have is that the button is on the wrong side of the footpedal. its on the left and i am used to motorguides on the right. i cannot really say anything bad about the minnkota. but if i was buying another it would be a motorguide. i know that sounds crazy but even with no problems with the minnkota . i still like the motorguide better. less than 1 year of a minnkota has not erased over 25 years of great motorguide service.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had both. Greatly prefer the Minn Kota. Owned by Johnson Controls, same outfit that owns Humminbird now and I think they make some great batteries as well.

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had and used both...I like my Motorguide...its never let me down and is stout as an ox on my ranger. I do like the spring on the all terrian and I really like the gradual coming on of the motor instead of instant power. I think that saves on juice and probably spooks fish less.

I'm with the others though...if it pulls my boat...and doesn't kill my bats after just a couple hours I like it.
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

I bought my first Motorguide last month and it will be my last. I have had terrible customer service from them, basically told to go talk to a dealer just have some technical questions answered. This happened on several different phone calls I made just in case I got I had gotten the new guy or something. Apparently it is the company line. Also my motor is not even listed on their website so there is no technical or general info available online. The manual they provide covers all their motors so you get no specific manual for your motor. Mine wasn't even listed in their manual.

The product is working fine so far, but I suspect I'll go through heck if I ever need to call them for any help. No need to buy a Motorguide if Minnkota makes a similarly designed model. I would have returned mine but the store is 100 miles away one way so I'm trying to make the best of it.
    Small Boat Pro Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast