Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bearing Buddies

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bearing Buddies

I have bought a "vintage" lund. The trailer has bearing buddies BUT they look kinda decrepit. Can I remove them to check the bearings without any harm...Probly a silly question but I don't need to spend any more money than I Need to. Thanks

BA
    Remember "I" before "E," except in Budweiser

Post Thanks / Like

heck yeah,, take'm off with large channel locks, check yer bearings and pound'm back on.. its real quik & real easy...

JAKE
    ~~~~~~~({<(((((((*>
    unOFFICIAL Mayor of BLUFF Landing, OK

Post Thanks / Like

Thank You
    Remember "I" before "E," except in Budweiser

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Its just me, but if the bearing buddies look that bad...I would pull the hub and check the inner bearing and race. I know bearing buddies are on ALOT of boats out there...but sometimes they do not grease well on in the inner bearing. If it gets to hot you'll turn the race and have to replace hub. I would pull it, replace seals, repack, put on new bearing buddies and then not give it another thought. Just my .02 cents. Got any pics of that vintage Lund?? I love old boats!! Lets see some! Is this a resto or what??
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on the Lund. We have a '74 VFR-15 Fish and Ski that was bought as a restoration project, but dad no longer has the time to finish it. They are about the most durable riveted boat made. You really don't beat them without getting into the bigger plate alloy welded rigs.

Post Thanks / Like

I need to check out my axle bearings, too. Anybody got a a link or a picture of how to do it?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Just a hint. When removing a bearing buddy, try not to wiggle it off at too great an angle. If you pry too much to each side the thin flange where it goes into the hub gets compressed and they won't fit tight when reinstalling.

Post Thanks / Like

My Boat Is In The Water So Much Any I Go To Wisconsin To Salmon Fish Lake Michigan,i Replace Bearings And Seals No Matter What They Look Like You Can Have A Pit In The Bearing That You Cant See Just So I Dont Have Any Problems.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow AntiochBA ...

Quote Originally Posted by CRAPPIEDENTIST View Post
    heck yeah,, take'm off with large channel locks, check yer bearings and pound'm back on.. its real quik & real easy...
    JAKE
    I used to use a rubber mallet to knock the Buddy Bearings off, whenever I would repack or change bearings. Then tap them back into place, once done. Don't pack alot of grease in there, when putting them back on .... or you may blow the rear seal out. Check/replace those when needed, too. Pump just enough grease into them, to start the inner face plate to moving towards you. Hit it with a couple of squirts about every third or fourth time out, and after every long road trip. But, only if the face plate has sunken back in ... if it hasn't moved, it's still good to go.
    You can also get Bearing Buddy Bras (rubber overcaps) to put on over the Buddy Bearings ... to keep from any chance of slinging grease. I had those too, but spun them off a couple of times, and never bothered to purchase another set :p

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

How to repack trailer wheel bearings HERE IS A LINK TO SHOW YOU HOW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast