Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How close is too close

Post Thanks / Like

Default How close is too close

How much distance do you guys try to give a fellow fisherman that is trolling or tied up? I know some areas are pretty narrow but I always try to throttle down. Had a guy last weekend pass by at full throttle less than 75 yards away.
    2014 Crappie Masters Mark Twain Champion
    2 time CDC Truman Lake series points champion

Post Thanks / Like

We give as much room as we can when runing down the lake. We look at as a safety & courtesy issue.:D I would rather have them go by at full speed as to slow down & take off again. the slower make"s way to much waves. Wide open very little wave.:D If you look back in some old post you will find a long post on this.
    Are you catching anything? If so whats the details?:D

Post Thanks / Like

Trolled the bluffs down by the dam. Early last week the bite was steady in about 20ft of water, black and chartruse. Friday and Staurday the bite was slow, I am thinking the high pressure had something to do with it. Managed a very few keepers Sat. before the wind got up and caught them all in 25ft of water on pink and white, yellow and white, red and white. May try to sneak out Thursday and try again. Plan on hitting the sport show on Fiday.

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Crappie Novice feels the same as JJ. He'd prefer them to go on by with less wake at the higher speeds than to deal with the huge wake after they slow way down. Guess it all depends on how big their wake is when at full throttle?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fyi

A proper speed or distance must be maintained while operating a motorboat or PWC or while towing a person on water skis or any similar device. Specifically, it is illegal to:

Operate a motorboat or PWC at speeds that may cause danger, injury, damage, or unnecessary inconvenience. Be aware of and obey all regulatory markers, including those marked as "idle speed" or "no wake."
    Operate a vessel at a speed in excess of “slow, no wake speed” within 100 feet of any emergency vessel that has red or blue emergency lights displayed.
    Operate a motorboat or PWC at speeds greater than "idle speed" or "slow, no wake speed" within 100 feet of:
    A dock or pier
    An occupied, anchored vessel
    A buoyed restricted area
    GRAND KIDS 4 IS ALL YOU NEED

Post Thanks / Like

Totally understand the wake at speed, this guy had 3/4 of a mile of lake to operate in and he gave me the Tom Cruise flyby. If I can cast my jig and hit your boat, that is a little close when you have plenty of room. Maybe I was in his spot.

Post Thanks / Like

some where on smithville there is a lake lice runnin around with 1 of my good 1/16 oz roadrunner on it
    i evengave him the good comer salute and he acted like we was not there
    GRAND KIDS 4 IS ALL YOU NEED

Post Thanks / Like

If they is just passin thru and headin on up the lake they should give you as much room as possible IMO. No need slowin down since like others said.....fast boats leave smaller wakes.

Now on the other hand when somebody is motorin out of a cove real slow like they should observe "NO WAKE" rules. I had an ole boy motor by me in a little 16' boat last spring throwin a big wake cause he was runnin nice and slow. Dont think he meant no harm since he waved and smiled nicely....but that ole fart bout pitched my partner outta my 20' aluminum boat.

I generally dont fire up my big motor when leavin coves that way I dont spook the fish for others....but thats me. Im a nice guy!:p
    Progressive Marine Insurance SUCKS!. If you hit a submerged object they will try to prove manufacturers defect....stay away from them.

Post Thanks / Like

get his boat numbers and file with the lake people. but that said what's wrong with a little 16 foot boat only that someone has a 20 foot boat and don't think the smaller boats are good enough. I have a 14 footer that is just my size for jigging. Be carefull for what you wish for. GOD SPEED

Post Thanks / Like

75 yards, or did you meen 75 feet?...75 yards,(3/4 length of a football feild)heck, thats a normal everyday pass on LOZ!:o.......
    not that it makes it right at either distance but i'd rather them pass at WOT!...alot less wake!....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast