PDA

View Full Version : Trolling with outboards????

hooterville
01-06-2009, 04:55 PM
what do you guys use for trolling for crappie???? Electric trolling motors? or gas?

if gas what size HP do you use?(2stroke? 4 stroke?)

i'm wondering how good some of the larger etechs or 4strokes do. I'll probably put a 60-75hp on my 18' grizzly one day. I have a 6hp 2 stroke rude to use for trolling at the moment.
a dealer told me there yamaha 4 stroke in a 60hp trolled great and wasn't bad on gas mileage and isn't hard on engine . don't know whether to believe him or not.

J White
01-06-2009, 06:07 PM
I've used a 50 Honda with the idle speed adjusted way low on a 1852 jon, and Yammy 90 4 stroke with the variable trolling speed all the way down on boat I've got
now - both went too fast without some help, either trolling plate or dragging
socks. Worked ok, but finally ended up with 8 horse 4 stroke kicker.

Oil changes came around a little too soon to suit me trolling with the big motor. The Honda wasn't as bad at 2 qts, but the dang Yammy holds 4.5

akmoose40
01-06-2009, 07:25 PM
i use both elect and gas to troll with....do better with 30 lb elect....have a new 9.8 nissan 4 stroke that does well also......when battery gets low fire up the gas motor.....

bassboy1
01-06-2009, 10:01 PM
The Etecs will troll fairly well.

yikess
01-06-2009, 10:56 PM
I prefer the peace and quiet of trolling with my trolling motor that has an A/P but I am prepared to use the big motor in a pinch. Like Jwhite, my 90 Merc 2-stroke needs a little help to get down to 1.7 or so. I have tried several trolling plates but ended up using a 48" Cabela's driftsock instead. That sucker will let me creep along even in a decent wind.

curado
01-06-2009, 11:14 PM
I troll with my minn kota elec. I hooked up a speed wheel on the back of my boat and hooked to my fish finder. At 5 speeds I have 5 different m.p.h. choices. I dont know why but I never catch fish on the same trolling speed.Its different from day to day.

rango
01-07-2009, 07:01 AM
back before the advent to energy efficent electrics, just about everyone i knew, including myself, used gas engines. however you couldnt use the big motor for crappie trolling as it pushed the boat too fast at idle speed . i used a little 2&1/2 hp johnson kicker, and even that, on a 14 ft alumacraft pushed the boat too fast at idle speed. the only way i could get it slow enough for long line trolling was to grind the prop off till it pushed the boat at the speed i wanted at a little above idle. when i bought the sea ark the johnsons shaft was too short and i never bought another troller. i did use a friends honda some, but never could get the sea arks speed adjusted to where i wanted it. the honda was a 4 stroke and would never idle good, especially for hours at a time so i quit trolling for the most part. i dont know how fast i was going back then as we had no way to measure our speed, but it was s -l - o - w...

Crappie Gobbler
01-07-2009, 07:56 AM
When Trolling, speed is the most important part of it!!!!!! Fine adjustability is the key to put the jig at the depth you want it. I use a MK Powerdrive V2 with AP and a speed sensor mounted on my trolling motor connected to my depthfinder. With this I can make slight adjustment in hundredths MPH. I know a .10 mph can make a difference in 1.5 ft pulling 1/16 oz. jig with my setup. I use mostly 1/16 oz. jigs with 45 ft. of line out.

Papa Dawg
01-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Minn Kota electric. .4 to 1.2 mph. Quiet and Peaceful. I use 1/32ths most of the time. Sometimes 1/24 & 1/16.

Blue Duck
01-07-2009, 10:40 AM
I use my electric motor as long as there is no wind. If its windy I have a 2.5 HP Suzuki four stroke that works well. These are on an 18' John boat.

skiptomylu
01-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Never use my big motor and all I use is my troll motor. Been doing that since the late 70's so a long time. I do use a variable speed motor so it is not a 5 speed as I don't like them. I set it on 3 every time and adjust for the fish and wind from there.

If the wind is so bad I can't do that then the wind will end up putting a bow in your line that you can't live with. If the wind is that bad I stay at home since I live on the water. That spoils me a bit so don't go if I don't like what ever may be what is going on with the weather.

Skip

Cane Pole
01-07-2009, 11:54 AM
back before the advent to energy efficent electrics, just about everyone i knew, including myself, used gas engines. however you couldnt use the big motor for crappie trolling as it pushed the boat too fast at idle speed . i used a little 2&1/2 hp johnson kicker, and even that, on a 14 ft alumacraft pushed the boat too fast at idle speed. the only way i could get it slow enough for long line trolling was to grind the prop off till it pushed the boat at the speed i wanted at a little above idle. when i bought the sea ark the johnsons shaft was too short and i never bought another troller. i did use a friends honda some, but never could get the sea arks speed adjusted to where i wanted it. the honda was a 4 stroke and would never idle good, especially for hours at a time so i quit trolling for the most part. i dont know how fast i was going back then as we had no way to measure our speed, but it was s -l - o - w...

I member those old prop grind days. My old Merc had a 2 blade prop. I just cut it off with a hacksaw and smoothed it with a file. Kept filing the blade til I got the vibration out in the test tank. Works.