Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling with outboards????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling with outboards????

what do you guys use for trolling for crappie???? Electric trolling motors? or gas?

if gas what size HP do you use?(2stroke? 4 stroke?)

i'm wondering how good some of the larger etechs or 4strokes do. I'll probably put a 60-75hp on my 18' grizzly one day. I have a 6hp 2 stroke rude to use for trolling at the moment.
    a dealer told me there yamaha 4 stroke in a 60hp trolled great and wasn't bad on gas mileage and isn't hard on engine . don't know whether to believe him or not.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used a 50 Honda with the idle speed adjusted way low on a 1852 jon, and Yammy 90 4 stroke with the variable trolling speed all the way down on boat I've got
    now - both went too fast without some help, either trolling plate or dragging
    socks. Worked ok, but finally ended up with 8 horse 4 stroke kicker.

Oil changes came around a little too soon to suit me trolling with the big motor. The Honda wasn't as bad at 2 qts, but the dang Yammy holds 4.5
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

i use both elect and gas to troll with....do better with 30 lb elect....have a new 9.8 nissan 4 stroke that does well also......when battery gets low fire up the gas motor.....

Post Thanks / Like

The Etecs will troll fairly well.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer the peace and quiet of trolling with my trolling motor that has an A/P but I am prepared to use the big motor in a pinch. Like Jwhite, my 90 Merc 2-stroke needs a little help to get down to 1.7 or so. I have tried several trolling plates but ended up using a 48" Cabela's driftsock instead. That sucker will let me creep along even in a decent wind.
    Last edited by yikess; 01-06-2009 at 11:16 PM.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Post Thanks / Like

I troll with my minn kota elec. I hooked up a speed wheel on the back of my boat and hooked to my fish finder. At 5 speeds I have 5 different m.p.h. choices. I dont know why but I never catch fish on the same trolling speed.Its different from day to day.
    Good,Fast,Cheap>Pick one!

Post Thanks / Like

back before the advent to energy efficent electrics, just about everyone i knew, including myself, used gas engines. however you couldnt use the big motor for crappie trolling as it pushed the boat too fast at idle speed . i used a little 2&1/2 hp johnson kicker, and even that, on a 14 ft alumacraft pushed the boat too fast at idle speed. the only way i could get it slow enough for long line trolling was to grind the prop off till it pushed the boat at the speed i wanted at a little above idle. when i bought the sea ark the johnsons shaft was too short and i never bought another troller. i did use a friends honda some, but never could get the sea arks speed adjusted to where i wanted it. the honda was a 4 stroke and would never idle good, especially for hours at a time so i quit trolling for the most part. i dont know how fast i was going back then as we had no way to measure our speed, but it was s -l - o - w...
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Speed is the key.

When Trolling, speed is the most important part of it!!!!!! Fine adjustability is the key to put the jig at the depth you want it. I use a MK Powerdrive V2 with AP and a speed sensor mounted on my trolling motor connected to my depthfinder. With this I can make slight adjustment in hundredths MPH. I know a .10 mph can make a difference in 1.5 ft pulling 1/16 oz. jig with my setup. I use mostly 1/16 oz. jigs with 45 ft. of line out.

Post Thanks / Like

Minn Kota electric. .4 to 1.2 mph. Quiet and Peaceful. I use 1/32ths most of the time. Sometimes 1/24 & 1/16.

Post Thanks / Like

I use my electric motor as long as there is no wind. If its windy I have a 2.5 HP Suzuki four stroke that works well. These are on an 18' John boat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast