Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Water softeners??

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Water softeners??

Anyone know what would make my water coming through my softener cloudy?
    Its clear before it gets to it.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb only thing I can think of ....

would be a dirty filter (or possibly a broken or defective one) ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Interesting. Try this as a test:
    Fill a clear container with the softened water and observe it over a period of time (let it sit still). If the cloudiness starts to move more to the top of the container it is probably bubbles (dissolved gasses coming out of solution, like soda bubbles when you open it). The process may be slow because the bubbles are so small.
    On the other hand, if the cloudiness moves to the bottom you can assume it is some kind of solids.
    If it is bubbles contact a water softener person. Water holds more dissolved gasses when it is COLD. If the water is saturated with gasses and then gets WARMER the gasses will come out of solution as bubbles.
    If it is solids check the filter if there is one. Water going in clear would mean the filter was disturbed somehow and old sediment is being released.
    I have had a water softener for many years and have never seen this. Also, I have no filter in mine and have never heard of one that does. Wait some time and see if it clears. Otherwise, contact someone who knows. My experience is with aquaria, not specifically water softeners.
    Sorry for my Crappie attitude.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Anyone know what would make my water coming through my softener cloudy?
    Its clear before it gets to it.
    Hi there IBNFSHN, I worked in the softner business a few years and as mentioned earlier it could be bubbles. It could also be salt if you took the sample during regeneration. Is it cloudy all the time or did you just notice it recently? Try using a good quality solar salt and regenerate the softner manually then check it again after regeneration not during. Let us know what you find out.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any filters except for on under the kitchen sink and I change that regularly. I also use good solar salt. I took a sample down to the people I deal with (Coastal) and they checked it for me. No sediments and the water softener is working good. They seem to think I've got a small air leak somewhere. I can put some water in a clear glass and you can see the stuff rising and within a few minutes it is clear but I can still see tiny "bubbles" on the side of the glass. The last time I replaced the pump I used reinforced flex hose to go from the pump to the softener. Should I replaced that with PVC? And redo all the joints while I'm at it?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va