Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rathbun going to the dumpster

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rathbun going to the dumpster

Sorry for you all, I hope your lake doesnt turn out like Lake of the Ozarks, in Mid Missouri. Our lake is way to busy to fish during the summer with all the big boats and water fleas. I hope the corp doesnt start doing this to all the lakes in the midwest.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/app...=2005506120360
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

From my understanding on where this stuff is going to be located, you can't even see the lake, however it is close. I don't think they will allow homes, private docks, and the like, on, or near the lake. It's a beautifull place, I hope we are not going to see commercialization on the lake itself. You are right, it will probably attract the "big" boats and "lake lice".
    Roger
    If everyone concentrated on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles. :D

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not excited about the idea at all.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm very afraid of what Rathbun is going to look like in the summer once this project is complete. Iowa's lake of the Ozarks will be more like it. It gets bad enough now and the state wants to see more.
    Evidently the state isn't making enough money from "the common man fisherman", and they have to bring in the folks with "more money than brains" to fill their coffers.
    My thoughts on this matter come off pretty harsh, but that's the writing on the wall as I see it.

Post Thanks / Like

I will agree that I visted this lake about 2 years ago. I was totally suprised to see as many large boats on the water for such a small lake. I am looking forward to going back there in August I hope that fishing will be good.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

This is the start of the end to great fishing down at Rathbun. One of the main reasons I love fishing at Rathbun is the solitude along with the fishing. As of 2008, that will come to an end.

Jigman - From my understanding of where all this is going to be located, if you stand on the main boat ramp at Honey Creek and look across and slighty left, the whole mess is going to be located on that penisula. Can anyone else verify this?

Waygate10

Post Thanks / Like

You are probably right on the location, after re-reading the Register's report, I was referring to what I was told by some of the local folks. They thought it was to be built along the road, around the bait shop, in the open fields before you get to the main boat ramp. Maybe they will put up a dam at the mouth of H/C and try to save the rest of the lake (lol).

The $47 million Honey Creek Resort Park along Rathbun Lake in Appanoose County is expected to provide an economic boost to an area with sparse population but stunning natural resources, pumping tourism dollars into what is considered a chronically economically depressed area of southern Iowa that at times felt ignored as money for economic development projects landed in metropolitan areas.

My opinion is Vilsak should "pump $28M into his home town of Mt Pleasant and surrounding communities, where hundreds and hundreds of JOBS were lost, so the rest of the southern Iowa does'nt become chronically economically depressed . OR, when was the last time someone (VilsaK) gave themselves a 10+ % pay-raise (news as of today). Come on Vilsak, get your priorities straight.

Well I better sign off, as I probably stepped on some toes.

Roger
    If everyone concentrated on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Input and opinions requested.

The last day I was down at Rathbun, I only had a few hours to fish starting around 6:00pm. I unhooked the boat and drove over and parked by the small beach at Buck Creek. I was planning on filling out one of the day use permits for $3 but talked to two local fishermen and they stated as long as I was just fishing I did not need to fill one out, that it was just for the beach.

When I was done fishing, I came back to truck and found a ticket on my windshield stating I had 10 days to buy a yearly permit for $30 or face a $50 dollar fine. On our way home, I stopped at the Rose Hill Marsh and ran into a local DNR worker. I explained the situation to him and he stated I was given the ticket in error, gave me his card, and told me to call the number on the ticket to try to straighten this out.

I called the number on the ticket once I got home and the secretary told me this is an on going argument which has not ever been cleared up. She also went on to say the only one that can disregard the ticket is the one that wrote it and he was not due back to work until next Friday. I left VM for him to call me once he was back at work.

He did call me and stated the parking lot was a day use area and anyone parking in the lot needed to fill out a day use permit. I told him it states right on the ticket it is for boat ramp/beach use and I was fishing. Also, told him what the locals told me. He would not accept this and said I could send him $4 and the citation would be waved. I did this but it still bothers me as I was just fishing and not using the beach.

In hindsight, I should have just filled out the day permit but felt rushed for time and wanted to fish ASAP. And, from what the locals told they never fill out day use permit and have never gotten a ticket.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Waygate10

Post Thanks / Like

I got one of those tickets on Mark Twain last year, I just filled out a day pass, put $3 and the ticket in it and dropped in the box at the ramp. Never heard anything more. I know where the park lot is down by the beach you were at. You shouldn't have had to pay for what you were doing, but its probably cheaper and easier to pay the $3 in the long run. Why did you have to pay $4? My son and I did a tournament out an Monroe Indiana and a ramp pass cost me $20! We were only there for 3 days. Had to put this UGLY YELLOW sticker (3"x6") on my boat. Didn't understand that one, as the truck sat at the ramp lot with nothing to show that we had paid up.
    Roger

Post Thanks / Like

$47 million is just rediculous! Especially since more than half is state money. OUR MONEY! Better off using the money to buy land and build another reservoir in the state. THere is no way in heck they will be able to make a profit on it. It just won't work on a reservoir. A natural lake yes maybe, but who is going to come and bring their money to Rathbun on a consistent basis?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast