Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your outboard motor of choice?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Your outboard motor of choice?

I'm kicking the idea of getting another motor. What would you guys recommend? I leaning toward a two stroke, cheaper/lighter, but have not absolutely ruled out a four stroker if I can low-ball one. I would be looking for a 50-70 hp remote/tilt/electric. What do you know, or what have you heard, about different brands and what's your pick?

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Two stroke would be a Yamaha. Used to love the old Evinrude/Johnson. My buddy swears by Honda 4 stroke, quieter, most fuel efficient, and no mixing oil/gas.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Truthfully, every mfg makes a fine motor now. You can get a lemon of any one. Pick the one you like. My only advice is to max out your horsepower so you never regret no doing it.

Dayton

Post Thanks / Like

Default new engine

I bought a new boat, motor, trailer combo last spring. It came with a 50 hp 2cycle. Wish I had spent the xtra 2 grand and gotten the 4 cycle. I troll a lot and my motor doesnt idle very slow. 2 mph is about as slow as it will go. Also every now and then it will put out a puff of smoke after trolling for awhile.

Post Thanks / Like

my buddy has a 50hp yamaha 4 stroke on his duck boat.man is it sweet u cant hear it run all u hear is the water comin out from the water pump hittin the water.and very low cost on fuel

Post Thanks / Like

Etec all the way!!!!................. Oh, wait a minute............ My brand new Etec is in the shop blown up. I don't like any outboard

Actually, before my Etec came apart, I was/still am, very happy with it. Very quite and sips fuel. And yes, no-matter what brand you buy, they will all have a few that may have problem's.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 4 stroke Merc 60/40 jet drive for fishing rivers and shallow backwaters . The 4 stroke is the best starting motor I have ever owned . I'll never own another 2 stroke .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goldwingtiny View Post
    Etec all the way!!!!................. Oh, wait a minute............ My brand new Etec is in the shop blown up. I don't like any outboard

Actually, before my Etec came apart, I was/still am, very happy with it. Very quite and sips fuel. And yes, no-matter what brand you buy, they will all have a few that may have problem's.
    Why did it "blow up"? How many hours were on it? Was it under warranty?
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

1989 Mercury 35 hp currently. Would like to go to an Evinrude E-Tec 40 but would look at Honda and the others before making decision.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Yamaha four stroke.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast