Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need help getting started trolling...spider rig style

Post Thanks / Like

Default need help getting started trolling...spider rig style

I am planning on giving spider rig trolling a shot. I live in Indiana a 3 rod per person limit applies. The lake I fish is normally stained to clear but can be muddy in the spring.

I have looked at T-Bars and I think I am going to go with Driftmaster.

Rods, I have looked at BNM and ProAngler. I have no idea what length to buy for trolling any help would be greatly appreciated.

I was thinking about buying the BNM Black Widow. They are fairly inexpensive and my thinking is since I am new at this if I break one or lose one I don't have as much invested in the rod.

What size line do you use to spider rig?

Thanks for any and all input

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

For spider rigging....you will want long enough rods to get your baits out in front of the TM...I use 12 foot..any shorter than that and I have trouble keeping them out of the TM

I use 10 foot out to the sides or out the back..
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah.. I first started spider rigging with telescoping fiberglass 'bargain bin' rods and they worked just as good as my walley marshalls now...they just weren't as pretty....lol
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I am glad I dont live in Indiana first of all, But I use b&m 12 footers (8 of them ) on tee bars That I made my self, 4 on each side in the front. Drift master style rod holders that I made my self. 6 or 8 lbs line. I have tried the longer poles but they are too much trouble for me and I can do just as good with the 12 footers. There are a lot of different opinoins, but this works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gone_fishing View Post
    I am planning on giving spider rig trolling a shot. I live in Indiana a 3 rod per person limit applies. The lake I fish is normally stained to clear but can be muddy in the spring.

I have looked at T-Bars and I think I am going to go with Driftmaster.

Rods, I have looked at BNM and ProAngler. I have no idea what length to buy for trolling any help would be greatly appreciated.

I was thinking about buying the BNM Black Widow. They are fairly inexpensive and my thinking is since I am new at this if I break one or lose one I don't have as much invested in the rod.

What size line do you use to spider rig?

Thanks for any and all input
    i posted yesterday

(did i get a deal or not) bass pro sale, wally Marshall 16 ft for 2999

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just above ya GoneFishin' in Michigan where we are

limited to 2 lines per. Understand legislation in the works to change that this spring. One more is better than none more, heh?

Anyway on your questions:

I run BnM 12.5' telescoping fiberglas black widows. When I have the fishin' partner (wife) along we will run 4 off the front. When we have the grand daughter we can run a fifth off the side too and still be legal.

I haven't got any complaints on the poles and the fact that they collapse down makes for nice storage under the seats on my '02 tracker 175. The only caution with them, and prolly with any pole that sensitive and that long is to set a light hook 'cause if you miss or they spit it you'll end up with a nice birds nest on the end of your pole. Yup...happened to me more than once. I found that just lifting up on the pole with sharp hooks is all it takes for papermouths.

I run the Buck's mini reels that I also got from BnM. Only downside on those is that the drag only works with your hand off the retreive handle...not something I liked at first, but have come to know when to get my hand off and let the fish run. Prolly will go to a larger (heavier) reel for balance anyway. I run braided fireline at 6# as a backer tipping down to 4# spiderwire in the evergreen color.

Most of my spider..well up here we can't really call it that...rigging is done dragging 1/32, 1/8, or 1/4 oz. jigs in various colors. The color changes often until I find what they like. Also I tip them w/ live minners, Berkley powerbait mini shads, and a variety of Panfish assassins, and Crappie nibbles. They all work really well.

Trolling speed is SLOW and according to my gps always under 1 mph. I will usually "trigger" the foot switch rather than staying at a constant speed. I found they like to strike as the bait is coming to a stop often.

Most of my success has been along the weed lines/drops and fringing the structure/docks/swim platforms.

Here's a couple of links to Photobucket where I have some boat pics and catches from last season if interested. Best of luck and let us know how you do.

YankeeDoodler1954/boat pictures - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

YankeeDoodler1954/2008 catches - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

How close are you to Hardy? Wife and I fished that last spring on the way back from KY lake. Not one of my success stories tho.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

For rod holders check out this site: Home
    Scott Echols designed and builds these high quality holders. I have tried and worn out a couple of other makes but these are the best I have found. For rods try to get the longest you can handle...12-14 ft should be no problem. You need to get them out away from the boat and TM and go slow. I use 6 # line and 1/16 oz jigs with weights 24 inches above them. The rods need to be very sensitive to see the bites.... I like the B&M Capps and Coleman or Pro Staff or the Mity Lite from BPS. The Wally Marshall Tightline Specials are great rods for trolling crankbaits but are too stiff (I think) for jigs. I have eight of them but only use them for crankbaits with 2-3 oz weights. I like an open face ultralite spinning reel on the rods....you need a good drag that is set light. Let me warn you: Trolling is ADDICTIVE....it will ruin you....you will see those rod tips while lying in bed at night.... I hope this helps. Have fun ! ! ! ! !
    From the ARK-LA-MISS Delta....... Crappie Paradise ! ! ! !

Post Thanks / Like

go fish with Richard Williams aka Weezer! He is on Kentucky lake. This guy is good at spider rigging. His signuture rods are hard to beat!
    2008 Buggs Bash Champ! SML Dock Shooting King!

Post Thanks / Like

I use 4'6" rods. I would rather have them behind the TM so I can see the brush or stumps first. As far as rod holders, make your own. Square tube, square stock for the base, 2 pieces of flat stock and pvc holders. 6 bolts, 4 nuts and 2 wing nuts.

Post Thanks / Like

If I was you I would put two 12'ers out front and then cast your favorite rod as your third. You're going slow enough spider rigging to mess with your favorite jig casting out to the sides. If the action gets too hot just put down you casting rod. I say this because this is exactly how I found my best honey hole ever. I was slowly creeping along spider rigging while casting a jig when I caught a crappie, casted again to the same spot, another crappie, moved over the spot with my spider rig set up and started to catch them. A couple of weeks later when I went back to that spot I caught 118 crappie. I might be one of the few who cast a jig while at the same time spider rigging but I can watch my spider rigging poles at the same time I am reeling in waiting for that thump. (I don't generally spider rig with more than 4 poles, lately only 2 so that I can cast, kinda the best of both worlds)

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast