Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Will these work?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Will these work?

Went to local shop and they were asking nearly $2.00 for a pin-min or ice ant. So I came home and started making my own. Any of the white thread is glow thread. What does anyone think? Should I add some hair tails or hackle to the body? Legs? Any input would be great.

Thanks, Russ
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure they will work ,but to get them to fall and then hang below a sinker could be a challenge.

Post Thanks / Like

They are wrapped with lead wire under the thread. Not sure of total weights, but they do sink. That was some of the reason I didn't put any hair or feathers, wasn't sure how it would effect them. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Well there ya go ...good thinking.
    Like ants that have rubbers for an add on them would work...they call them nuclear ants.

Post Thanks / Like

Default ice jigs

Of course they will work but if i had to guess id saw they were way on the large side from my limited ice jig experience. I really like custom jigs and spins jigs and they run $1 each I only use the smallest sizes of most of their lures.
    Fishyum also has a bunch of ice jigs for .50-.69 each and some are very nice also off season he puts some of his jigs on sale and he has offered discount codes this season. I have one nymph in my fly box that i tied just like your hooks and honestly it doesnt compare to a decent fly or ice jig. Id recommend you look into tying some really small nymphs or just find a better source for buying jigs.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the honesty! They are actually very small, not sure of the size, I finally figured out the macro button on my camera... Gotta have a tripod or stand!!! Duh! Plan to try them out on a few tip-ups, I have a some ice ants and jigging spoons, probably keep them for pole in hand.

Now all I need is some decent ice.

Post Thanks / Like

Figured I would post a report on how they did... Used the white one with pink stripe with a salted minnow head or tail. Sun was shining good and recharged the glow thread in about 10-15 seconds. Out for hour and a half and caught 13 gills and a 23" cat! I will be making some more!

Post Thanks / Like

Always nice to pull a few on homebrews.......more rewarding that way.
    Hey...jerk...your bobber's under!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Try this place www.Jammin Jigs.com. They have jigs under 50 cents apiece. Good people and great selection. As for size I use size 6 or 8 depending upon the size of fish in the lake that I'm fishing.