Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Wanting to start fly fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wanting to start fly fishing

well im wanting to get into fly fishing. I've dabbled in it but never gotten serious with it. The times i've done it i thought it was real fun. Anyways im looking to learn about what i will need and what is quality gear. Im not looking for top of the line stuff but i dont want junk. Any help will be great
    Last edited by EvilxTriumphs; 01-03-2009 at 10:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EvilxTriumphs View Post
    well im wanting to get into fly fishing. I've dabbled in it but never gotten serious with it. The times i've done it i thought it was real fun. Anyways im looking to learn about what i will need and what is quality gear. Im not looking for top of the line stuff but i dont want junk. Any help will be great
    That's a vague question, but I'll try to help. All fly-rod manufaturers have rods at various price points. For my dollar, I like TFO Rods. They're good and the price is right. I like TFO's Finesse Series. If price is a concern, I always advise putting more money in the rod than the reel. For the most part, the reel is where you store the line at the end of the day.

A 4- or 5-weight rod might be a good starting point, depending on what you are fishing for and where you are fishing.

As far as lines go, a full-floating line will work for you.
    Last edited by SteveGibson; 01-05-2009 at 05:43 PM.
    Steve
    Southern Drawl Kayak Fishing
    Native Watercraft-endorsed guide
    gibbysfishingblog.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

If possible, go to a local fly shop and buy an outfit there. Most shops have some type of beginners class you can take. At the very least, they could give you a casting lesson. A casting lesson is the most important thing, IMO. A good instructor can save you years of frustration.

If the fly shop is not an option, pick up a good DVD or book. The LL Bean fly fishing book is a good one. Your local bookstore should have several others. Larry Dahlberg has a very good bass/panfish fly fishing DVD, but there are loads more.

Check out FAOL, too. They have a good "fly fishing basics" section.

www.flyanglersonline.com
    Last edited by deathb4disco; 01-04-2009 at 05:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Starter Flyfishing Equip't

I would recommend a 8.5 foot, 5 wgt. rod in the $100-200 range, IM6 graphite. A reel in the $50-75 range. Spool your reel with 6 wgt. wgt/fwd floating line. (1 wgt heavier then the rod will help in your casting). Line you can purchase 2nds (which will save money) for $10.00 from Discount Fishing Tackle.com, Denver. CO. You won't be disappointed with their line. On ebay purchase a rod and reel - cheaper. Make sure the rod is IM6 graphite. Brand isn't that important to start. Reel buy the time proven and tested - Pflueger Medalist. If u hunt around on ebay, a used "good" rod and reel you can get for a $100 total. B4 spooling your line, for backing use old 20 lb or so braided casting line. This will get you started, stay away from WalMart stuff.