Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Well it's official, Wally Marshall...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Well it's official, Wally Marshall...

I have given up on your Pro Series rod tips. I started using these rods back 5 years ago and thought they were the best rods a true crappie man could have. My thoughts have changed. I have returned over 4 of them since and BPS have been obliged to change them out. They break at the same spot every time. 4" from the tip. Just in the past 2 weeks I have broken 2 of them. My 10' rod broke when it was cold out and tried to set hook on fish and tip popped a tiny tree limb and snapped. I couldn't believe it!! The 12' rod snapped while removing from the vehicle. Reached in to free line from seat and pulled the line a little, crack! Looked back and couldn't believe my eyes. I still have 2- 9' and a 7' and have become scared to take them out. I can't imagine BPS taking two of them back at the same time, but I am going to try. I have invested a lot of money in these rods for them to give out in this manor. I love the rods action and feel, but they are just too delicate.

Post Thanks / Like

I have two WM 10'ers that did the exact same thing.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I have an 8 foot WM and a 6'6 Pro Series that both broke but they were both my fault. They seemed like pretty good rods up to that point.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

I am having the same problem out of my BPS Micro Lite 8'6". I am on my 3rd one in less than one month. Both broke for no reason. The only good thing is that BPS replaces them with no problem. I was asked by the cashier if I wanted to buy the extended protection plan. I asked if she was kidding. Sounds like they are getting as bad as BestBuy.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is what I have discovered in a year of using low cost Chinese made rods (these Chinese rods are probably pretty much from the same makers over there regardless of the brand - BPS/Cabelas/GM/B&M/Etc....). On the surface they looked like a deal and in hand the rods seemed like a StCroix at half the price. They feel good and perform good and seem to have great actions, handles, blanks, seats, guides, and construction quality.

Here is the down side. I purchased 2 rods, Gander Mountain 7ft ML and UL 2 piece IM8 rods. First, the UL tip ring disintegrated and started shredding all my 4 lb test gamma during a week long late spring trip crappie fishing. I get it replaced and then it breaks this fall, and I get it replaced again. In the same time frame I broke the ML version twice, getting it replaced both times, except for the last time my local store didn't have the same model in stock when I needed it the next day and I had to settle for a Med action instead. A rod that works fine for the heavy walleyes I fish for in the fall, but is too stiff for the all around rod I like to have in my trunk all the time for getting everything I fish for all year round that i don't use an UL for. They did say they would replace it with a ML later if I decided I didn't like the Med, but since the breakage I haven't been able to locate a ML replacement. I understand they are going to go back to StCroix blanks in their rods like they used to have, but even StCroix has their cheaper blanks made in China now for their Triumph line, and I wouldn't be surprised if the rebadged StCroix blanks are Chinese as well.

The joy I had at getting 2 rods that SEEMED like the StCroix's I had been getting for the last 15 years for about $80 bucks for both rods is kind of dimmed now with all the breakage and having to run 45 minutes to Erie to replace them so much. In the prior 15 years using StCroixs I have had fewer problems than I have had in the single year using the Chinese rods. Yes, StCroix is much more expensive, but you just get a much better rod when its made by an American company with American hands. I will keep letting GM replace these rods under warranty as long as they let me, but the next time I need a rod, I will probably go back to American made.

Its hard to justify paying 2-3 times as much for the American rod when the companies that sell the Chinese rods will keep replacing them when they brake, but the cost advantages diminish with the costs of getting them replaced so often and the frustration of having gear fail when you need it most.
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 01-04-2009 at 01:13 AM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the heads up guys and i agree with grizz on the chinese stuff alot of rods are the same just with different writing one them i know alot of places buy blanks in bulk and have them painted and put decals on them to their liking they jack up the prices and people buy them to find out its really the same rod we can get other places cheap

i did find a good all around rod that is great for the price its light in weight feels good the action is great and seem durable its a field and stream rod from dicks sporting goods

and as far as Chinese junk add this one to the scrap heap those zebco slab seekers are just that IMO i liked them at first i bought 2 at the same time for a crappie trip the next day i think they were 10 or 12 ft spinning one broke that trip the other then started to just splinter and come apart over the next few days so i returned them to dicks sporting goods and couldn't find anything even close to them so i just took the field and stream rod and as i said above it is great
    is that a bite...YEAH FISH DONT HAVE HANDS

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZ View Post
    Here is what I have discovered in a year of using low cost Chinese made rods (these Chinese rods are probably pretty much from the same makers over there regardless of the brand - BPS/Cabelas/GM/B&M/Etc....). On the surface they looked like a deal and in hand the rods seemed like a StCroix at half the price. They feel good and perform good and seem to have great actions, handles, blanks, seats, guides, and construction quality.

Here is the down side. I purchased 2 rods, Gander Mountain 7ft ML and UL 2 piece IM8 rods. First, the UL tip ring disintegrated and started shredding all my 4 lb test gamma during a week long late spring trip crappie fishing. I get it replaced and then it breaks this fall, and I get it replaced again. In the same time frame I broke the ML version twice, getting it replaced both times, except for the last time my local store didn't have the same model in stock when I needed it the next day and I had to settle for a Med action instead. A rod that works fine for the heavy walleyes I fish for in the fall, but is too stiff for the all around rod I like to have in my trunk all the time for getting everything I fish for all year round that i don't use an UL for. They did say they would replace it with a ML later if I decided I didn't like the Med, but since the breakage I haven't been able to locate a ML replacement. I understand they are going to go back to StCroix blanks in their rods like they used to have, but even StCroix has their cheaper blanks made in China now for their Triumph line, and I wouldn't be surprised if the rebadged StCroix blanks are Chinese as well.

The joy I had at getting 2 rods that SEEMED like the StCroix's I had been getting for the last 15 years for about $80 bucks for both rods is kind of dimmed now with all the breakage and having to run 45 minutes to Erie to replace them so much. In the prior 15 years using StCroixs I have had fewer problems than I have had in the single year using the Chinese rods. Yes, StCroix is much more expensive, but you just get a much better rod when its made by an American company with American hands. I will keep letting GM replace these rods under warranty as long as they let me, but the next time I need a rod, I will probably go back to American made.

Its hard to justify paying 2-3 times as much for the American rod when the companies that sell the Chinese rods will keep replacing them when they brake, but the cost advantages diminish with the costs of getting them replaced so often and the frustration of having gear fail when you need it most.
    I agree with Grizz...I use St Croix for casting & dock shooting where feel is what I need..I use BnM for slow trolling...

I use mostly 5'6'' St Croix but got a 6'6" Light for Christmas...Can't wait to try it...

Been using St Croix for a long time with no problems...Rain Shadow also makes a good blank..
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

I see in their catalog that Grizzlyjig sells WM replacement tips.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepster04 View Post
    I have given up on your Pro Series rod tips. I started using these rods back 5 years ago and thought they were the best rods a true crappie man could have. My thoughts have changed. I have returned over 4 of them since and BPS have been obliged to change them out. They break at the same spot every time. 4" from the tip. Just in the past 2 weeks I have broken 2 of them. My 10' rod broke when it was cold out and tried to set hook on fish and tip popped a tiny tree limb and snapped. I couldn't believe it!! The 12' rod snapped while removing from the vehicle. Reached in to free line from seat and pulled the line a little, crack! Looked back and couldn't believe my eyes. I still have 2- 9' and a 7' and have become scared to take them out. I can't imagine BPS taking two of them back at the same time, but I am going to try. I have invested a lot of money in these rods for them to give out in this manor. I love the rods action and feel, but they are just too delicate.
    Sounds like you're pretty hard on sensitive equipment. Try taking better care of it. Light wall graphite doesn't handle cold weather as well as fiberglass. WM rods dont seem to fit your bill, so you'll probably be better off saving some money and getting ugly sticks. I've got 6 WM rods. During the season, i fish 5 days a week with them. Mine are still in good shape. They work for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like it's time for Wally to remove his name from the rods in question, and search out a quality manufactuer that would be interested in creating the New, Wally Marshall line of rods. Wish I had those types of problems to deal with. Keep pushin Wally, you're doin fine.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast