Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Light weight slip bobber

Post Thanks / Like

Default Light weight slip bobber

I have been working on this the last few days. I have been wanting a sensitive strike indicator/slip float that could be attached without having to retie. This system allows for a lot of versatility. You can be vertical jigging or casting and 30 seconds later, throwing a slip cork with the same rod. Same system could be used with Beacon lightsticks and used at night.

Remove the spring and replace it with a 1/8" ID "O" ring or a piece of tubing cut at an angle to keep the line in the slot. The slot allows the line to slide easily through which means you can use smaller weights. I have used 1/16 oz as deep as 10' on 6# test line. I fished 16' deep today with 1/8 oz and could have fished deeper. 1/32 works for shallow water but I believe better results would occur with 4# test.

I can cast a 1/8 oz with a non-weighted 3/8" float 75'. (2nd pic shown with stop)

You can vary the buoyancy with weighted floats or by adding a small bobber to the stem. This allows you to detect the lightest of lift bites. The combinations are endless. It work best with only one jig so it can slide up to the slot for casting. Two jigs or a split shot tangles easily. A pre-tied stopper knot or a 5 wrap knot with 6# test can be used and you Do Not need bead. Very Simple Rig

More pics to follow.

Someone is probably doing this already. If so, what variations are you using?
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Thanks / Like

Second round of pics
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

Good ideas! Great pics!!
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Just a few questions, like I don't ask enough already. :rolleyes:
    How high in the water does the float ride with 1/8 ounce jig?
    How do you get the float stop to come out clean when you cast? I always have it catch in the line guides when I use one trying to fish deep, basically anytime I reel them in past the end of the rod.

I actually use the exact same floats every year for trout with the same glow stick. I use it laying on the water and set the hook when it tips up. Great for night fishing. I modified mine with a swivel pegged to the bottom of the float for quick change but mine are fixed when I connect them.
    I love taking my kids fishing, now if I could just manage to fish at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice ideas. I build a similar float to the one with the foam on the shaft except I slide it on the tip in the opposite direction and super glue it there so its half through the foam float and handing out there a little. It make the float lay flat in the water and make an excellent strike indicator that the fish can't feel. It make strikes real easy to see.

I also like the tubbing with the glow sticks. I wonder if the cheaper bulk glowsticks would work like that? Those sticks that come in small packs are pricey. For those that don't know. You can put an activated glowsticks in the freezer after use and it will extend the like of a single stick through a couple or several sessions.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff, thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 8fishermen View Post
    I have been working on this the last few days. I have been wanting a sensitive strike indicator/slip float that could be attached without having to retie. This system allows for a lot of versatility. You can be vertical jigging or casting and 30 seconds later, throwing a slip cork with the same rod. Same system could be used with Beacon lightsticks and used at night.

If it works for you, that's great, but you can do the exact same thing with a waggler without modifying the float. Plus, the body shape of the waggler is much better.

Post Thanks / Like

to d b 4Cisco How do U do it with a waggler
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fish_4_all View Post
    Just a few questions, like I don't ask enough already. :rolleyes:
    How high in the water does the float ride with 1/8 ounce jig?
    How do you get the float stop to come out clean when you cast? I always have it catch in the line guides when I use one trying to fish deep, basically anytime I reel them in past the end of the rod.

I actually use the exact same floats every year for trout with the same glow stick. I use it laying on the water and set the hook when it tips up. Great for night fishing. I modified mine with a swivel pegged to the bottom of the float for quick change but mine are fixed when I connect them.
    First I need to correct something, that was a 1/2 float. It rides about 2" without light and 3" with the light.

I am casting with a Bucks Ultimate 8' spinning rod that has some of the newer eyes on it. I also trim the ends of the stopper knot close. If you can get the knot to taper on both ends it helps and the more you cast, the better it slides. A smooth cast with the rod pointing at the lure while it is in flight helps tremendously. This is a long distance casting technique. They keep the rod tip pointing directly at the line the entire time it is in flight. If you do not do this and point the rod in some direction that causes the line to exit the rod tip in an off angle, it is like putting on the breaks and you will loose yardage. They often tie a shock leader to their main line that is long enough to make several wraps on the spool and extend to the rod tip and back to the but of the rod. This means there is a some sort of joining knot several wraps on the spool and the best of them can still cast over 800'! Get out in the yard and try it. You can also search for long distance surf casting and find lots of info on casting techniques. These casting methods have added many yards to my fishing range. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZ View Post
    Nice ideas. I build a similar float to the one with the foam on the shaft except I slide it on the tip in the opposite direction and super glue it there so its half through the foam float and handing out there a little. It make the float lay flat in the water and make an excellent strike indicator that the fish can't feel. It make strikes real easy to see.

I also like the tubbing with the glow sticks. I wonder if the cheaper bulk glowsticks would work like that? Those sticks that come in small packs are pricey. For those that don't know. You can put an activated glowsticks in the freezer after use and it will extend the like of a single stick through a couple or several sessions.
    Got any info on those bulk glowsticks? The Beacons are the brightest I have tried.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast