Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Sewage river crappies

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sewage river crappies

Went back again this morning for some more, ended up with 55+/- crappies up to 14in. Around 9:30 it seemed like it was every cast would be a bite or a landed crappie.The HOT lure by far was the tandem fin-s gold/black w/the nibbles. I think if I had used this set-up yesterday other than the tandem chartruse darts w/minnow i'd done even better.Only one double header today.

Post Thanks / Like

It was good to read a MD report of good Winter Crappie fishing.
    All of my usual spots (Ponds and Reservoirs) are either closed until spring or are beginning to ice up.
    I'll post if Im able to find them on the Potomac river anytime soon.
    Crappie Hunter

Post Thanks / Like

We used to come all the way over here in the winter because of the ice or closed areas over that way . This time of year & having our great winter fishing makes me grateful to live on this side of the bay now.Any word on refilling rocky gorge, you might want to try Mattowomen or piscautaway creeks we used to catch them there in winter too. Capt.mike said he heard of a good bite in swan cr.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Winter Fishing Tactics

Quote Originally Posted by tear-em-up View Post
    We used to come all the way over here in the winter because of the ice or closed areas over that way . This time of year & having our great winter fishing makes me grateful to live on this side of the bay now.Any word on refilling rocky gorge, you might want to try Mattowomen or piscautaway creeks we used to catch them there in winter too. Capt.mike said he heard of a good bite in swan cr.
    I realize now that I will need to learn the tricks of river fishing (i.e., tide, water clarity, etc.) Fished the Potomac three times, but skunked each time. I did see Capt Mike's recommendation and plan a trip back to the Potomac to try Swan creek, and the Spoils area.
    That water is pretty mirky, did you follow standard rules and use a dark colored Jig? or possibly a bladded lure like a RR?
    I'll ask around and try to get info on Rocky Gorge. I also like that lake, its a good deep water reservoir.
    Hope you and all our MD fishermen good luck until the Spring happy days return.
    Crappie Hunter

Post Thanks / Like

We've been using mostly 2 1/2'' fin s in a gray with a light green tint & a almost clear with black fleck. Not hittin hard mostly watching the line twitch . I think about when we used to fish R.gorge & how the newer tech.s we've come up with would work now. Don't forget to try the old standby shad dart & minnow when all else fails.

Post Thanks / Like

Spoils are frozen solid.
    Swan is mostly frozen.
    Piscatway is too.

Capt Mike