Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foot vs Hand Operated Trolling Motor

Post Thanks / Like

Default Foot vs Hand Operated Trolling Motor

Im in my early 50's and im starting to have trouble using my foot steering trolling motor. My balance aint what it used to be and i have had a few close calls while standing up this year. It also makes my legs sore after a full day of trolling with one. Am thinking of changing to a hand steering model. How much do they get in the way while spider rigging. What is a good make and model. Any tips would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Default sit down

My friend fishing is one sport where one can do it while sitting. Buy a GOOD chair and sit down. Why do you thing Roland Martin and Jimmy Houston fish sitting down? Old age my friend. If you are accoustomed to using a foot control a hand control will never do. I also fish out of a crappie jon boat where the wind does not hit me so hard and I have less chance of falling off the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

I use both, have two identicle poundage motorguides. Use the foot control for open water casting & spider rigging. Change out to the hand controll when verticle jigging in the stumps & bushes. Takes less than five minutes to swap. I feel I have more control in tight places with the hand control. I agree with flatwater though, sit down and kick back.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

rc, I agree with flat....sit down..

I've used a foot controlled while sitting down for years..and I spider rig most of the time which means my foot is on the TM constantly from dawn to dusk..

One thing I would suggest if you decide to try your foot contol TM while sitting down is "the height of your seat pedistal is very important for your leg to not be in a constant strain"

Experiment with different pedistal post heights for comfort....a difference in 2 inches in height may be the difference in whether your leg goes to sleep or not....IMO

I use an 11 inch pedistal post but I have very short legs...
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the same problem until I got a Minnkota power drive. You don't have to keep your foot on the pedal all the time. Then I got the auto pilot and that took my foot off a whole lot more. Finally got a co-pilot. Now I don't have to use my foot at all. My legs really appreciated it.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Your right, i should sit down for safteys sake. I was looking at the new terranova with autopilot and that might just solve my problem. Its He## getting old.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rc ....

Quote Originally Posted by rcfillingham View Post
    Im in my early 50's and im starting to have trouble using my foot steering trolling motor. My balance aint what it used to be and i have had a few close calls while standing up this year. It also makes my legs sore after a full day of trolling with one. Am thinking of changing to a hand steering model. How much do they get in the way while spider rigging. What is a good make and model. Any tips would be appreciated.
    You might also consider having one of those foot pedal wells installed on your boat. If you stand alot, with one foot on the foot pedal, you're automatically off balance since one foot is higher than the other. The wells put the TM pedal closer to the deck ... eliminating some of the strain on your legs & balance.
    If you're trolling ... why stand ?? If you're casting ... sit and use a longer rod :p

I mostly cast and shoot docks ... so I'm always alternating from sitting to standing. (legs get sore, I sit ... butt gets sore, I stand )

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

getting old beats the alternantive!!! I agree, take a seat!

Post Thanks / Like

Default fun noodle

I once used a fun noodle piece to extend the handle on a hand control trolling motor.....I nudged it with my knee for direction changes and twisted it when changing speeds. This may work for you depending on seat placement in regards to motor distance.

Brooksville, FL (Originally from Terre Haute, IN.)
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the club of age. I'm 70, had a stroke and my balance is not the greatest. While long lining at Talquin, nothing but trouble with my handheld. When I caught a fish, moved to the center of the boat to land him and of course the trolling motor would to the right or left. What a hassle. I observed other fishermen in the back of the boat having a cup of coffe, etc. and enjoying thier fishing. I have since ordered a Minn Kota with co-pilot. Now I will be able to guide the boat from anywhere. Good luck

Chuck
    From Steve Wunderele - 10-2-84 --"A fishing trip maybe brief, but it's memories are endless."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast