Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Tough day on Taylorsville

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tough day on Taylorsville

Spent a few hours on t-ville sat. morning. Surface temp was 81, water color was typical for the lake. We caught probably 50 or more crappie but only 2 keepers, with one small blue cat. They were in the standing timber around creek mouths and on the main lake. We were catching them 8 ft deep over 18-25 ft of water on minnows and on tube jigs. Has anyone else been out on t-ville recently? Just wondering where all the big guys are.
    take care,
    Greenfish

Post Thanks / Like

I fish Taylorsville weekly and have found the same problem.
    It's getting worse, there were a couple of years where the spawns
    were unsuccessful and we are feeling the pinch now.
    There seems to be either small fish or large ones, and few in between.
    And the large ones are decreasing in numbers.
    The good news though is that there seems to be a lot of small ones this year
    indicating a previous good spawn. Maybe this fall will be a good one for crappie.
    I usually catch most of the larger ones in the colder waters, like March.
    After that it keeps dwindleing until about Oct, when it starts picking up again.
    JC

Post Thanks / Like

Hey JCCLARK, welcome to the board. I know exactly what you mean about catching the bigger fish in the cold months. We seem to do better on size from Oct. - March on T-ville. I won't get a chance to be out on the water for the next month or so, or if I do it will be to Nolin. Keep me posted on T-ville if you don't mind. I like to hear reports from the lake, even if its just small fish being caught. Good luck to ya, hope you find the big ones.
    Take care,
    Greenfish

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Guys ....

Greenfish ... had the same results as you, weekend before. Lots of small fish, very shallow. Caught several right at boatside ... shortlined me with less than 2ft of line out - watched them come up and grab the Roadrunner :D Gave up on them and went Hybrid/White Bass trolling - midlake (horseshoe bend) area. Caught lots of dinks of those fish, too. Caught one Flathead around 4lbs ... gave it to a couple of guys who were trolling in the same area.

Welcome aboard JC ........ don't be a stranger, post your weekly results right here - any info is appreciated ! And check out the Main Message Board, and the other links ... lots of good stuff there, too. Hope you enjoy the site ....... luck2ya ......cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! I've been following you guys for awhile and thought I'd just jump
    right in.
    About Taylorsville, I have fished the upper end around the Chowning Ln ramp.
    I have always done better up there but another crappie fisherman I talked to
    recently said he too liked that area but this year he couldn't catch much like he
    used too and that everyone else is fishing down by the dam and doing much
    better this year down there. Hmmm, maybe I'm on the wrong end of the lake!!
    Anyone out there heard anything like this? Lakes do go through changes.
    Or maybe all you guys caught all the fish up there.
    JC

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Actually ...

I've done about equally well, on either end, in years past ... have only been able to get there once, so far this year. The rains have messed up the spawning season for the last 3yrs ... at least as far as my being able to go during the month of April. From late May to around late Oct ... all my Crappie fishing is done from daylight til around mid-day, on Taylorsville. I'll chase the Hybrids/White Bass during the Summer ... but, only after giving the Crappie a try, first. Otherwise, if I go to Taylorsville, I'm Bass fishing at night during full Moon nights.

Have any of you guys fished Cedar Creek ? I've been down there a few times - just checking on the growth rates of the Black Crappie that were stocked. I've heard that they are starting to get over the 9" size range, in numbers. I've caught lots of dinks, but no keepers, yet. I even made the discovery that there are Blacknose in Cedar Creek !!! I caught two, last time I was down there messing around (bank fishing earlier this year). The lake has the makings of a good Crappie lake ... just hope the "meathogs" don't mess it up (keeping everything they catch). The KDFWR Officers have had their hands full, watching & checking. They've been writing tickets out the wazoo, too. Word has it that, just a month or so ago, out of 29 boats checked ... over 25 of them had short fish in the livewell They were most likely Bass ... but, if the rumors are true (that some people have been seen taking livewells/stringers full of fish out of there, of all species), then the Crappie population could be in trouble, too. The Shellcracker & Bluegill population is already in trouble. Gizzard Shad are exploding in the lake ... and that means the Bass, Crappie, & Catfish will feed on them, rather than the young 'crackers' & 'gills'. Their populations will probably grow too fast & stunt out .. never getting to the size potential that was planned for them to reach. KDFWR doesn't know if they (Shad) were "planted" by someone, or if they just didn't kill them all off - like they thought they had. Doesn't really matter now - they're there and growing fast (last years fingerlings are bigger than my hand, this year). There's a "no use, no possession" law against Shad, at Cedar Creek ... but, it's a mute point. I'm wondering how long it will be before they remove that restriction ... and allow us to castnet & use them for bait?? Time will tell ............. cp

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by JCCLARK
    Thanks guys! I've been following you guys for awhile and thought I'd just jump
    right in.
    About Taylorsville, I have fished the upper end around the Chowning Ln ramp.
    I have always done better up there but another crappie fisherman I talked to
    recently said he too liked that area but this year he couldn't catch much like he
    used too and that everyone else is fishing down by the dam and doing much
    better this year down there. Hmmm, maybe I'm on the wrong end of the lake!!
    Anyone out there heard anything like this? Lakes do go through changes.
    Or maybe all you guys caught all the fish up there.
    We usually do equally well on either end of the lake. That being said, we have fished the lower (dam) end of the lake mostly this past year. The last trip we made over to T-ville we fished up near chowning and didn't do so well. Maybe just coincidence, or maybe not??? I wish I had more time to try and figure it out. I know I haven't caught them all, LOL! There's still plenty in there for ya big guy Good luck and keep us posted.
    Take care,
    Greenfish