Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default new to crappie

hello, this is my very first crappie.com post. All i've ever fished for is catfish and i'm looking for a somthing new and different. I live in ottawa and from looking at all of the posts on here it shouldn't be a problem finding a place to fish within driving distance. So first, i'm looking for decent crappie articles that will help out with technique for a new guy, like equiptment, jigs, rigs, and bait. Second, i'm looking for places to fish, specific areas i can get to from the bank since my boats out of commision for a while. any help would be great along with anything i should know that i didn't ask.
    thank you all in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

The best thing you can do is to hire Crappie Chatt. He is a guide based out of Lawrence. I think just about everyone on the KS board will tell you the same thing. He has a wealth of knowledge. I used to be pretty much only a bass fisher except for the spawn. Now I fish mostly for crappie. You will not only learn but laugh your butt off for an entire day.

Living in Ottawa you are close to a lot of good crappie fishing. Pomona, Melvern and Hillsdale are all good. All have docks to fish in the winter too.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from the Hillsdale area....
    I agree with Chad...a day on the water with Chatt is very educational and funny.
    I have included a few links that I found earlier this year when I was just starting into crappie fishing

Crappie Catching Tips
    Tips for jigging for crappie
    Rigging Natural Baits

what's wrong with your boat?
    Remember "I" before "E," except in Budweiser

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a book you can order at a discount. I bought it and found that is has some great stuff.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...th-sutton.html

Also, there are many videos that can be purchased that are very informative. Several can be found on the main forum or on the classified site here on cdc.

Post Thanks / Like

the problem with my boat is that i've had 2 kids in the last 4 years and haven't had any time other than a quick trip to the river to go fishing since then. its a really really old 14 foot richline deep v with an old evinrude sportin ten. its been sitting for 4 years at my parents house near manhattan. when i saw it at xmas both tires on the trailer were flat and there was a pack rats nest in the motor. i got the motor cleaned up but it won't start and i'm not too sure about trying to get it back on the water. i go fishing alone most of the time and that thing is a heavy beast, even with the trailer. i've been trying to trade my shotgun for a smaller boat/motor combo that will fit in the back of my truck that i can move around on my own without a trailer.

Post Thanks / Like

get on craigslist. I have seen some cheap alum boats on there for cheap. People on there always willing to trade as well.

Post Thanks / Like

i have a 12 foot richline on a trailer, it has a 50 pound endura MinnKota TM...I also have a Mercury 9.9 in excellent condition that I would consider selling.

the 12 footer is pretty light...i would separate from the trailer if it wasn't wanted....

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the offer but i'm working the trade angle.
    Where would be a good place to fish on hillsdale or pomona?
    i keep hearing about fishing from the docks in the marinas. Where? is that ok with the marinas?
    Last edited by tssievert; 01-02-2009 at 11:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

tssievert, First of all the Evinrude is probably 1966 Sportwin 9.5 motor. And if it sets for a long time, like you mentioned, it's going to require a complete carburetor rebuild...a complete kit. If the engine has good compression, and good spark, it has to be the fuel system.

Have you looked into selling it on ebay? This year model can go as high as $360.00 or more depending on the cosmetics of the engine..outside and inside.

Post Thanks / Like

getting it running again isn't a big deal, when i got the boat it had been setting for 10 years. i just can't remeber where i got the parts to fix it last time. it does pretty good on the water i just don't like the gas tank setup and the 2 mixture knobs, i never can get it set right. and on top of it all, the motor and the boat weigh a ton and i always go fishing by myself. thanks, i thought it said sportin ten all these years. if i can get the motor running good and figure out an easier way to get the boat in and out of the water, i might just keep it. but anyway, its too cold and too far away to deal with at the moment. where can i fish now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast