Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "bassboat" vertical rod holders for transport

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "bassboat" vertical rod holders for transport

Okay, well me my buddies have just gotten into this crappie thing...and well...its an addiction now!! lol. I have a 87 Ranger bassboat that I dearly love....but there is NO place for a 10 to 12' rod...so what in the world do you do?? I had been looking around at boats and saw wareagle had a vertical mount across the rear deck of there boats. I first thought about doing that, but with pvc....then I got to thinking about what if i needed to get into the bilge area and well, when I fish alone I do not want to go back and forth to the back of the boat to get my rods...so I decided to put it up front. I used 1 1/4" sch 40 PVC. Any smaller does not work and any bigger will not hold securly. I just three floor flanges, and bunch of tees, three male adaptors and less than a stick of 1 1/4" for this. Each vertical piece is around 13" long if I remember right...I then used a dado blade on the table saw and marked the depth I wanted on the rip fence with a sharpie. Thats how i cut the grooves for the rods to set in. This set up works really well, rods do not move...it can be removed...the 1 1/4" is big enough for your net...and I was suprised but they do not get tangled...I've gone as fast as 45mph and as long as you put your hook on the holder they do not get tangled...they look like they would when you look up at them...but they don't. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Again...thanks to agrihawg for taking the pics...I would've never done them if he hadn't made me..lol.

"But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

Great job. Looks good. Switching from bass to crappie? Good choice. I love crappie fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Scrapper did you notice I didn't take a picture from the end? Didn't think you wanted to show off how straight all those uprights are!
    J

Post Thanks / Like

Do you trailer your boat with the rods in the holders.

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea!!
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

no, I don't trailer them in the holders. We just put them in there for picture purposes. I break them down...and I HATE breaking them down...lol. Still trying to figure that one out..lol. They wouldn't come out though. They really fit nicely into the holder. That rig cost about 35 dollors I think. The tees are what cost so much. But you could make one as big or as small as you wanted.
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like some good work to me!

monkscrappie is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Driftmaster Rod Rester's

Check out rod resters!

MonkWelcome to MonksCrappie.com
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

looks like a great set up to me. i wouldnt ride down the road like that though. a 12 fter plus the height of the boat just might hit a few tree limbs as you drive under them.

Post Thanks / Like

well dang! now thats an idea...lol. I like that..only problem with mine would be if the t-brace was a little too loose there go my rods...lol. I was looking for your boat the other day in a post and couldn't find it. Now that is one HECK of a rig! I was going to show a buddy your boat.

I really don't spider rig or troll...I could set it up that way, but the lakes I fish I normally circle a brush pile or crappie condo, thats why all my stuff is on the side it is. Although when I built the deck extension I didn't take into account the middle seat because I was just worried about bass fishing at the time...so a folding chair is brought for the middle person...lol. We can fish 12 rods on one side as we circle. I learned this type of fishing from Jerry Blake...his guide boat is setup this way on the rail...I just built some t-braces to my liking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast