Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Flat line/long line trolling

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flat line/long line trolling

Is this a good technique for locating crappie on a new lake? I have moved to NC and a new lake.

How much line should you let out to start with and how much does lure weight affect the depth in the water column? I have never used this technique but would like to try some thing new. Appreciate any info.

tite lines
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 01-01-2009 at 11:12 AM.
    Vietnam Vet
    RECONATACRON-7,
    USS ENTERPRISE CVAN-65

Post Thanks / Like

I generally start out with a 1/16 on the bottom and 6ft above that I put a 1/32oz on 4lb P-Line. I stagger my pole lenghts from 6ft on the inside and them a 10ft and then a 16ft on the outside. I generally start out at .75mph and vary to 1mph. I put out about 50 ft of line out at first and then vary my speeds to find what depth they are at. I also may let out more line if needed. It depends on if I am fishing from the front by myself or if I have someone on the back how I place my poles. I use BnM BGJP models only. I have evey lenght from 5ft 6,8,9,10,11,12,14, and 16ftrs. There alot of varibles that dictates what length I use. You may have to even change the size of your jigs to go shallower or dee[er. I have even used 2 1/48oz if I an fishing in 4ft or less depth of water

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey joe....check this out..

Free "Midwest Crappie" TV Show|MyOutdoorTV.com|Free Fishing Video - MyOutdoorTV.com

Russ Bailey (known here at crappie.com as russ) has filmed a few shows long line trolling among other techniques
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

I watched the longlining show but it never told in detail how he was rigging. It was more of an advertisement. I can promise you if you will my method you will catch fish. I forgot to tell you I use Charlie brewer slider jigs only. The best color is junebug and Chart. tail.