Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deep water bank fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Deep water bank fishing

I am stuck fishing the bank most of the time and I was wondering if anyone had some advice. I am trying to fish water that is from 15-25 feet deep so not even a long pole is gonna help me cast that much leader on a float and definitely not give me the distance I need. Even if it is possible I don't have it so I am limited to light weight 5"6" poles for now.

Is there a way to detect the light bites from crappie and still fish the bottom? I am pretty good at detecting line bites, is that a good way?

Is there a method for fishing on the bottom with a float? I have thought about using a slip float that has no stopper and simply tight lining the float. Will this work or is there a better method?
    I love taking my kids fishing, now if I could just manage to fish at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

You will definately want to get a longer pole in the future. You will get greater distance with it (2-4 times). You could try using a bottom dropper rig. Use a 3 way swivel and tie a 18-24" leader on one of the eyes and then tie a barrel weight on the other end of the leader. Then tie a 10-18" leader on one of the other eyes and tie a jig/hook. Work it like you would a worm. Hope this helps.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink I'd try these two methods .....

Quote Originally Posted by fish_4_all View Post
    I am stuck fishing the bank most of the time and I was wondering if anyone had some advice. I am trying to fish water that is from 15-25 feet deep so not even a long pole is gonna help me cast that much leader on a float and definitely not give me the distance I need. Even if it is possible I don't have it so I am limited to light weight 5"6" poles for now.
    Is there a way to detect the light bites from crappie and still fish the bottom? I am pretty good at detecting line bites, is that a good way?
    Is there a method for fishing on the bottom with a float? I have thought about using a slip float that has no stopper and simply tight lining the float. Will this work or is there a better method?
    Use a very small slip float, weighted to the point where it's almost pulled completely under (just from the weight/bait) ... hand measure out enough line to get to the depth you seek. The trick with slip float fishing deep ... is that, once you see the bite, don't jerk ... but start reeling in, first, and only set the hook once you feel some "weight" or something pulling back.

Another possibility ... would be to use the "Drop Shot" method. With your sinker/weight tied on the end of your line, and a "Stand-out" hook tied a foot or so above it, you can fish close to the bottom in as deep of water as you need to ... even with the short rod.

Now ... there are alternatives to certain parts of both of these methods. You could use a specific type of slip float, like a Thill Shy Bite or a Waggler, etc. And you can use a regular hook, tied to your line with a Palomar knot, in place of the Drop Shot type hook (Stand-out hook). And I'm sure that some of the other members will chime in with their opinions and experiences, so hang in there ... we'll see what we can come up with, to get you "in the game", even under your particular circumstances.

.... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

If I simply fish the bottom, would it be better to tight line then and simply set the hook on any hint of a bite? I really do like the drop shot idea though. Would allow me to work it back slowly and almost swim the bait or even a jig behind a little bottom disturbance.

I was thinking about using a sliding float in a way that could even be considered jigging. Throw it way out there, let the line get to the bottom and slowly work it back with the float being dragged in from the tension and angle. Should be an extremely slow retrieve and should allow me to cover a lot of water each cast. Anyone have experience doing this?

All I know is I want to catch something and being cold weather and cold water I have been told by a local that I need to fish deep. I think maybe the drop shot with a leech jig might be a hit but we will see.
    I love taking my kids fishing, now if I could just manage to fish at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure how cold the water gets in WA? If you can find feeder creeks that are over 5' deep and the water temp is over 50 degrees fish these instead! Then forget about deep and focus on 2' deep in timber.

If I knew of a hotspot within casting distance from the bank I'd drop shot 2 minnows 1' and 3' up from a fairly heavy bass sinker and a slip float. Set the bobber stop to the depth you want and then cast out far, let the bobber slide up to the stop and reel very slowly to the point where the weight hits the bottom. This will orientate your bait to the creek channel, brush pile, or point where the fish are. Keep the line tight so you can set the hook quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a similar dilema with a 25' or so deep upground reservoir, slip floats are hard to get a good hook set that deep. Will try the reel-in till weight to set the hook, thanks crappiepappy!

I have tried using a weight large enough to sink my slip float as a drop rig with a crappie spreader above. I have run it with the stopper set too deep and line tight to the bobber, works ok for catfish. On a light bite, really hard to see and set the hook. If the wind is blowing at all, you can forget about watching your line or the rod tip.

Caught a 30" channel cat this year using that setup with shrimp... just wait for your pole to start heading for the water!

Post Thanks / Like

Default boat!!!

I thought i was good at detecting bites until i added a spring bobber to one of my rods for crappie fishing this last spring. A slip bobber will work but as others have said you will have a ton of line out and will probably need to move a good 6'+ of line for a semi solid hookset. You have to use a float stop. I think i would recommend a raft or small boat and then new tackle. You could get a raft but you could probably find a 10' jon for about $100. Id say forget fishing and go to work and make the $$$ and you will be all set for spring with a boat and $$$ for some equipment. I normally use a 7, 9 or 10' rod for throwing a float. The longer rods cushion the line and surges the fish make. I always get some bass expert talking about
    crappie fishermen dont know how to fight a fish nor need a drag, but as others had said it is a common occurrence to hook into other fish. I caught both a 10# cat and a 5# bass on my 12' crappie rod with 4# test and my drag set very tight so i would not get spooled. Alot of the play comes from the rod and boat movement.
    Last edited by robbor; 01-01-2009 at 05:00 AM.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

Boat is a good idea. I bought a 7' kayak last year, unfortunatley some of the reservoirs I fish boats are not allowed. I can lift the yak and carry a good distance on my own, would guess maybe 60lbs. or so with out my tackle in it but you can drag it also. Cost me $200 all told with car carrier, paddle and vest. Made my own ancor.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, let me just say that me getting a boat is not the issue, it is more than that and going out in a boat alone is not an option for other reasons. I fish the bank because I have to not because I prefer it. I do have times when I can go out in my pontoon boat but I still never go alone. There are circumstances that prevent it and prevent me from physically being able to get back if something happens or my life just decides to be my life while on the water. Trust me, if I could go out in a boat all the time I would and then I wouldn't need a long pole nor to cast as far.

As for the long pole, let's just say that when my body decides to do it's thing I have a hard enough time controlling a 5'6" rod. A 10-20 footer would be the last thing I want in my hands when "it" is making my life anything but boring. Sure, I will probably get one some day and try it but not today.

Please don't think I am mad at anyone, I'm not. I don't like to discuss it. Is why I am so long winded and explicit in my posts. I try to keep from having to explain "why" I do things the way I do and ask the questions I do.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello fish 4 all, You might try what brought me hours of cheap bank fishing pleasure. I went to wal mart and bought a cheap 12 ft fly fishing out fit. I chunked the fly reel and put on my ultra light open face spinning reel. I could reach and jig any length out or depth that I wanted. It was fun and cheap.
    Good,Fast,Cheap>Pick one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast