Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: one scary outing

Post Thanks / Like

Default one scary outing

went to one of my small lakes today with big hopes of catching a tasty meal of crappie, We lost lots of ice this past weekend so the lake i was on had 2 inches of ice. I followed someones tracks in the snow and as i went out i was testing the ice thickness, the water depth was 30-35 ft deep, i stopped to drill another hole and as soon as i started drilling the hole i seen the ice crack from side to side of the hole and the crack was pushing water up and all i was thinking was I'm going in, well i made some fast tracks back and got lucky and all i could do is tell the man upstairs, THANK YOU

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ready2fish View Post
    went to one of my small lakes today with big hopes of catching a tasty meal of crappie, We lost lots of ice this past weekend so the lake i was on had 2 inches of ice. I followed someones tracks in the snow and as i went out i was testing the ice thickness, the water depth was 30-35 ft deep, i stopped to drill another hole and as soon as i started drilling the hole i seen the ice crack from side to side of the hole and the crack was pushing water up and all i was thinking was I'm going in, well i made some fast tracks back and got lucky and all i could do is tell the man upstairs, THANK YOU
    If that had been me the next step would have been to change my britches
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Your LUCKY, that you didn't take a bath, and lived to tell about it.
    Why would anybody get on 2 '' of ice with that deep of water under you? i wouldn't, and i have been doing this, ice fishing a long time.

Just curious, was there anyone else on the ice this day, or were you by yourself ?

Post Thanks / Like

4 inches is marginal. 2 inches is a good way to get your name in the paper.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Duck View Post
    4 inches is marginal. 2 inches is a good way to get your name in the paper.

Agreed !
    Lucky fellow!

Post Thanks / Like

2 inches was just a guess, I'm sure there was 3 to 3 to 3 1/2 inches, any how I'm thinking i better back off and wait till things thicken up

i thick this new outdoor clothing (I.D.I) has made me to brave,. We had a fresh snow that night and as mentioned there was fresh tracks and looked like someone had a big sled or shanty they pulled out, and yes tracks coming back, heck i didn't even come close to were he had been.