Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Oakwoods Findlay, Shank's Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oakwoods Findlay, Shank's Lake

Sorry about this, late fished Tue 30th out there in the late afternoon till almost dark. Got Crappies on the northeast side. Got 11 of them 5 w/ minnow/bobber and 6 w/ Mikes Pounders (pink) under bobber, w/ waxworm. 9inch to 11 inchs and (one over 13 inchs ). Good sign for spring out there or icefishing LOL. Got a call from a friend to help track down his deer. Found it around 11:00 last night.Nice 8 point. Very wind @ that time so 2day to get out of the wind moved to the north side. Got 3 but all small about 9 inchs. Now will see what mother nature has in store 4 us the next 3 months,may try Thu.

Post Thanks / Like

Where is Oakwoods Findlay, Shank's Lake? I'm not too far from Fostoria, I work in Tiffin-live in Attica and fish alot in the Sandusky river for smallies... and the occasional crappie from the river. I have been reading posts from someone on OGF forum from Findlay and he's not been having any luck that way.

Do you know anything about the quarry in Bettsville? Someone told me there is some nice gill fishing there, but never ventured that way. Are there any crappie?

Good luck, think the ice will be back soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oakwoods

Oakwoods is on the west side of Findlay. Lima Ave west right on Harrison St. to Oakwoods Ln. its on your left as you pass over I-75. Findlay Res is starting to ice over today, so will have to see what the next weeks bring us. Fostoria is starting with all new ice too. Bettsville qurry,Rt.12 east to Emma St 2 streets just passed the RR tracks on the right (south). Then out of town about 1 mile, Eells Park is on the right. Vrey Good fishing there!!! and Crappies too!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, tried to get out today myself and was iced shut. Ice looks good though, really clear and smooth, maybe 1". May get some time off tomorrow and check someplace else for open water.

I will be heading over to that quarry this spring. I think it's pretty small (just a speck on my back roads map) but will just add another spot to hit.

Thanks for the info. Where are you located?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arcadia

Arcadia, east side but work in Findlay and was raised there. But fish all over. Mostly for crappies then res fish. Run a very small crappie club, Crappie Hunters of Northwest Ohio. It's fun,but small would like it bigger, but not to big. Would like to keep it fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Does the club have a web site?

Not sure how far you travel, but if you ever come east you should check out Bellevue Res #5. Res in on SR 547 between Rt 4 and Monroeville. 83 acres, perfectly round but some really good crappie fishing. Talked to a fisherman there this summer and said he drove from east of Vermillion to come and fish for crappie, lots of fish in the 12"-13" range. Good for small mouth bass and some LARGE catfish. Also heard of a few walleye being pulled in but never seen em with my own eyes. :rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

Default sorry so late

Sorry so late, up north duck hunting today and tomorrow,(Mich). Yes have been to #5 in Bellevue and #4 too,has good crappies.#5 Very good Saugeyes mixed in w/ Crappies. The best way that i have found to get them is to ,Fish with the wind in your face.!! And i fish w/ a 2 1/2 inch to a 3inch Sassy Shad, black/pearl and chartreuse/black back, on a 1/8 oz jighead. This will keep the small crappie off too. One more is Beaver Creek Reservoir, is very good over there too. Southwest corner is vrey good if the wind is right.

Post Thanks / Like

Late isn't a problem for me. :D

Gonna have to try and target some of the saugeye over there, but sounds like you are catching them on your crappie setup. I've trolled/paddled across there in my kayak using a erie derie w/ worm before and ended up with one very nice slab (bouncing it off bottom) and too many catfish to count. Fishing there into the wind is sometimes impossible for me, I mostly use smaller weight jigs or bobbers and just can't get anything out far enough. Hoping we get some decent ice and head there for some cats and crappie this year, will be a big ole crap shoot on where to set up but should be fun!

Good luck with the ducks!