Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hook Description?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hook Description?

I am trying to buy jig hooks in bulk but I don't know what the description really means. I can't Find anything on these descriptions online. I am trying to pour some standard jigs in sizes 8, 10, and 12, but I don't know what they mean by:
    1X-SHORT
    1X-STRONG
    X-SHORT SHANK
    X-LONG
    ROUND BEND
    1X-LONG
    FORGED

Also has anyone here dealt with captain hooks discount warehouse? How well did you like them?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lostfisher1 View Post
    I am trying to buy jig hooks in bulk but I don't know what the description really means. I can't Find anything on these descriptions online. I am trying to pour some standard jigs in sizes 8, 10, and 12, but I don't know what they mean by:
    1X-SHORT
    1X-STRONG
    X-SHORT SHANK
    X-LONG
    ROUND BEND
    1X-LONG
    FORGED
    "While most dry fly hooks are what is called 'standard length'. Nymph hooks can be standard or 1x long, 2x long and on up, or even 1x short, 2x short on down. What the number before the 'x' means, is they are actually 1 hooks size longer or shorter shank than standard. For example a size 14 1x long nymph hook, is actually the same hook length as a standard size 12. Every tier and fly supplier has their own preferences, so a size 14 Hare's Ear, might actually be tied on a 1x long hook or a 2x long hooks, thereby appearing like a larger fly to the fly angler."

Read the rest here:

A Primer on Fly Tying Hooks by Cameron Larsen@ Rodfishing.net

Post Thanks / Like

so what would you guys recommend for pouring basic jigs?

Post Thanks / Like

How about this one?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...t=search_redir

Or, take a look here:

Cabela's -- Search Simple Product

Cabelas is just one source. There are others, such as Netcraft, Barlow's, etc.
    Last edited by deathb4disco; 12-31-2008 at 04:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig Hooks

If you go to Barlows Tackle website they have a good selection of jig hooks at good prices and they also have good illustrations so you can see the difference in length, wire size, style etc.

Here is the link FISHING TACKLE for bass fishing, crappie, walleye, trout.Fishing lures, fishing hooks, lead molds. BARLOWS FISHING TACKLE. or just search for Barlows Tackle in Richardson Texas

Good people to deal with and fast shipping!!
    Last edited by Jig Man; 01-01-2009 at 12:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default jig hooks

I dont think you have much choice for the 10 and 12, your best bet is probably the VMC 9147GO gold hooks. For the 8 you have a bunch of options eagle, vmc, mustad, matzuo. Just say what you want and we can give you the number.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"