Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod repair

Post Thanks / Like

Question Rod repair

We came home with another found rod and reel combo this week. It's not in as good of shape as the Bill Dance Quantum flippin' stick we found last year, but it's salvagable.
    It's a BPS medium action Mega Tournament combo. When we found it, it had braid on it, but a light hook like the guy was fishing for panfish. The anti-reverse wan't on and the drag was tightened all the way down .Pretty obvious the owner was an idiot. I took the reel apart and found some braid wrapped around the spindle. The reel is cleaned and appears to be ready for respoolling. Then I started cleaning the rod and realized the guy had been fishing with a broken tip. I need to cut the rod just below the next line guide so I can install a new end guide. What's the best tool for cutting a graphite rod? Should I just snip it with wire cutters or should I use the dremel to prevent shattering?

If we keep finding thse combos, I'm going to have to open a store. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Roberta;; I'd use my Dremel to cut it as it cut's like you said a cleaner cut and there is less chance of shattering if you were to snip it off. That's what i do with mine LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Time to put on the safety glasses and buzz off the end. - Roberta

Post Thanks / Like

Throw the rod away or give it to a child to fish with. By cutting the tip off you will lose the bend and give the pull has/had. It is like going from a medium action rod to a heavy action rod, you will also throw off the balance of the rod with a reel attached. Poles are reasonably priced for a decent one, anywhere from $30 to $100, so I would salvage the reel and purchase a new rod.

GO PURDUE

Post Thanks / Like

File a groove all the way around the rod and snap the end off.

Post Thanks / Like

>>>"Throw the rod away or give it to a child to fish with."<<<

The intent is to repair it well enough to either give it to a kid or keep it for the in-laws to use when they're here since we don't let them use our good equipment. It's a pretty stiff rod and the reel is mediocre at best, but it's usuable, and someone might appreciate it.

BTW, the Dremel made a clean cut. - Roberta

Post Thanks / Like

roberta;; how much of the tip is broke off? if it's just the end , it want make that much difference

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever the distance was between the last two line guides - maybe four or five inches. For a beginner it really won't be much of an issue. It's not a combo either one of us need or want, but it was good enough to fix. - Roberta

Post Thanks / Like

Roberta, you have given me an idea that I should have came up with on my own. I must have 15 or so rods that I don't ever use any more, but have hung on to for years. I called myself saving them for back ups, but they've gathered dust for too long. I know there must be some kids in the community that would love to have them. Thanks for the inspiration.---Pooch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch
    Roberta, you have given me an idea that I should have came up with on my own. I must have 15 or so rods that I don't ever use any more, but have hung on to for years. I called myself saving them for back ups, but they've gathered dust for too long. I know there must be some kids in the community that would love to have them. Thanks for the inspiration.---Pooch

There are a couple places I go to that there are always kids playing around by the dams with no supervision, a whole different topic there though. But I always bring a rod or two with me that I consider junk, but like Robert would say "useable", I let the kids use those. This way it keeps them out of trouble, lets them learn to appreciate fishing, and keeps them busy so they aren't throwing sticks and rocks in the water where I am fishing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast